Serves meat, veg options available. Direct trade coffee, wheatgrass, many vegan and vegetarian options. Casual, artsy atmosphere. Family friendly. Has wi-fi. Closed on Sun. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
439 Delaware Ave (Edward)
Buffalo, New York 14202
716-381-8502

Tue-Sat 11:30am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:00pm-12:00am

First Review by Amy99
Scott Grenerth
Scott Grenerth

Really good food and service!

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2014

I'm so glad I went here! In town for a few days and I thought I'd try a different place each night. After tonight, I know I'm going back to Merge tomorrow night again!
Very pleasant atmosphere. Very good service and... Super food! From the tea to the dessert it was all great.

Pros: Food, Service, Atmosphere
Cons: Nothing
gwild
gwild

great atmosphere

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

The restaurant had an inviting atmosphere with earth toned and brick walls.
The seitan barbecue wings were very good. They were crispy with a cooling vegan ranch dressing.
My son had the Mac and cheese and rated it good.

Everything was very good. We may have rated things higher had we not tried similar items elsewhere. The raw lasagna was good but the raw lasagna that I ate at Simon's coffee house in Sarasota Fl. was the best on the planet. The raw pizza was very good but once again it wasn't as outstanding as the raw pizza from Belle Verte in Gatineau Quebec. They were just a bit too bland. The best dish was the vegan tostada. Entrees ranged from $11-15

Pros: nice decor , lots of vegan choices
meglovestoveg
meglovestoveg

Coming back for lunch tomorrow!

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

I was so excited to come here after reading the reviews, especially, the one, where someone drove through a snowstorm to get here. I usually hate seitan, but I was hoping to try the buffalo wings. Unfortunately, the kitchen was backed with orders, so I was only able to get dessert and a lime-ade to go. The lime-ade was okay. But, the almond tart was fantastic! I got some cookies to take home too. Haven't had any yet, but I'm sure they'll be great. Super excited to find such a vegan friendly place with a nice atmosphere for dining out. I'll be back tomorrow for lunch. Cheers!

Yolochka
Yolochka

Best veg place in town!

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2014

I've been to Merge many times. I am never disappointed. The service is friendly and the atmosphere is great! And the food? Creative, delicious and reasonably priced. Their cocktails are a reason to go all on their own too! They also offer chicken and seafood options for the non-veg friend or family member who isn't feeling adventurous.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff
Cons: A tad pricey
shirley1
shirley1

Great Food - worth battling through a massive snow

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

We actually drove through a massive snow storm to get to Merge and it was well worth it.We were travelling with non vegan friends which is always a challenge but Merge has a very varied menu.
I had the Udon Miso Bowl but they gladly substituted quinoa to make it gluten free which made it quite deliciuos - the serving was so generous I had a good portion for breakfast the next morning.My husband had the Tomato Fennel soup with gluten free toast on the side which was delicious and then the vegan Coconut Lemongrass quinoa with Tofu which was also exceptionally tasty.Our non vegan friends had a custom pizza and the pesto pasta with organic chicken and they loved it.
As a treat my husband took home the cranberry and apply cobbler with soy ice cream and had it later in the evening and raved about it.
Our server was very friendly and knowledgable and eager to please.The pricing was very good value for money.We would highly recommend Merge for a wonderful meal and we will return when we're in the area.

Pros: Good Selection, vegan and gluten free, friendly service
AllisonMMG
AllisonMMG

A wonderful experience!

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

Our vegan family had a wonderful dining experience at Merge. The menu, while not vegan, had clearly marked vegan and gluten-free items (perfect for vegans with celiac like us). We were delighted at the number of choices. Usually even at vegan restaurants, our choices are severely limited because of gluten-free needs, and the experience is made worse by staff members who really don't know what contains gluten and what doesn't. This was not the case at Merge, and we even had amazing, gluten-free vegan desserts! In fact, their chocolate chip cookies is the best I've ever had - vegan, gluten-free, or not! The restaurant is somewhat upscale, so it wasn't exactly kid friendly, but we managed with our almost 3 and 8 year olds. They thoroughly enjoyed their vegan meals, too. With gluten-free vegan potato skins, vegan pizza, and refreshing entrees like Korean BBQ portabella, you have to love this place! This place deserves five stars, but the max rating for a non-vegan restaurant is four. ***** Sorry, but if a non-vegan restaurant gives me more vegan items (and items that are this amazing) I can eat than a vegan place, it deserves five stars.

Pros: amazing food, clearly marked selections, lots of gluten-free vegan items
Cons: not kid-friendly
storyjar
storyjar

always good

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2011

We are 2 hours from Buffalo but go there now and then. We've eaten at Merge twice and both times the menu offered many interesting choices. Our food was wonderful and fairly priced. Nice service. Plan to go again.

Pros: variety in menu, good food, fair prices
Cons: far from my home
evsnow
evsnow

Disappointed

3 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

I moved out here from Phoenix, AZ where there is only one vegan place (Green in Tempe) but it is THE best in the whole country (imho). I felt there was hope for Buffalo as soon as I heard about Merge. I went my first week here and...ehhh.

We tried the 'wings', the lentil cheese sweet potato fries and the Elvis shake and the fried pickles. The wings were a bit tough in consistency and the sauce was nothing to write home about. The sweet potato fries were just not to my taste, and I felt like I could easily make this dish at home. Same goes for the Elvis shake. I just didn't feel like this place was worth the trip. I haven't had any urge to go back and that means a lot because I LOVE FOOD, especially good vegan food.

Pros: good atmosphere, food was okay, I hear they have cool events at least?
Cons: no parking except at nights, I think?, could make this food at home
NutratarianBabe
NutratarianBabe

Never again

1 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

I will never again step foot in Merge. The restaurant is dark, so dark you can barely see the menu on a winter evening. It's trendy, lots of good art/photos, live music sometimes. The food is "sparse" at best. I ordered a Mushroom Ragout entree that consisted of a quarter cup of mashed potato with two tablespoons of brown gravy and four - literally four slices of mushroom, there was a piece of green on top of the potato. The entree cost $18! There was nothing else included in the meal. The flavor on the gravy was good, but $18 for a dollars worth of food is ridiculous. Everyone dining with me was horrified over the quality, quantity and price of their meals and we are not a penny pinching crowd. Apparently there have been a lot of complaints as their prices have dropped on the spring menu. Our Service was lousy, disconnected between servers, almost everyone had to make a second choice on their entree as they were "out" of most items on the menu. The restaurant was not crowded and we were there at 6:30PM. They included an 18% gratuity in the bill and the service was not worth that tip.

Pros: No crowds, Bottles of Water on table, Lots of seats available
Cons: Expensive , Micro servings, Poor service
kbeeks
kbeeks

Looooooove Merge!!

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2011

I look forward to eating here every time I am in Buffalo. I've eaten here 5 times and each time the food is phenomenal, the staff are super-friendly and helpful and I love the art featured on the walls! Their vegan buffalo wings are incredible - ALWAYS have to have them every time I'm there! I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for really good vegetarian and vegan food!

Pros: amazing food, friendly service, cool atmosphere
vegandlish
vegandlish

Merge = Heaven on Earth

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2010

My boyfriend and I planned a weekend getaway in Niagara Falls but were concerned about eating vegan for a long weekend. Thanks to Happy Cow, we were able to find a plethora of dining options in the Niagara and Buffalo area. However, after we went to Merge, we never made it to any other restaurant! Yes - Merge was so delicious that we went back for dinner EVERY night of our trip. We were estatic to find a restruant with an amazing, healthy menu that satisfies both vegan, vegetarian and raw eaters (with even a few meat options, I believe).

We loaded up on appetizers - including their incredible "hummus of the day" (served with loads of fresh veggies and pita), the "Chicago Meets Buffalo Wings" (seitan wings) and the "Tofu Dragon Balls" (which were THE MOST DELICIOUS mouthful of heaven I have ever experienced- deep fried tofu served with peanut sauce). The entrees were incredible also - I loved the "Tofu Mango Curry," the Raw Pizza and the Thai Wrap. If I lived closer, I would be coming back to try other items! There was a long list of juices, teas and drinks available, vegan, raw and vegetarian pizza options, the ability to make non-veg meals vegan, salads, sides apps and soups... MMMM...

Merge had a great atmosphere - dim lit dining area with walls adorned with beautiful artwork, a small stage where live music played on Friday night and a bar area where they served a variety of alcoholic beverages and outside dining. Both of our waitresses were very nice and friendly and the service was very fast. Additionally, the food was well-priced and affordable.

I also loved that Merge's philosophy includes using fresh, organic and local produce, unbleached flour/sugar, and promote nutritious, balanced meals.

Needless to say, I HIGHLY recommend Merge to anyone even remotely near Buffalo. The drive from Niagara was worth it (only about 30 minutes) because this food was INCREDIBLE. My boyfriend and I fell in love with Merge - food, philosophy and atmosphere. As a long-time vegan, I could not have found a more perfect restaurant to eat at three nights in a row on vacation. Thank you Merge!!!

Pros: Excellent Nutritious Food, Friendly Staff, Great Atmosphere
Cons: Not 100% Vegetarian (a few meat dishes)
lynnabeana
lynnabeana

Vegan Gourmet!

4 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

I saw the reviews for Merge on this website and decided to check it out. I was not disappointed! I had the squash bisque and the tease (vegan grilled cheese) panini with kale salad from the lunch menu. It was one of the best meals I've had since I went vegan. Absolutely amazing! The restaurant itself is newly renovated and very nice. The service was friendly and fast. My new favorite restaurant!

Pros: Amesome Food, Amesome Food, Awesome Food
melindashaw
melindashaw

Finally - Vegan options on the menu!

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2009

Merge is a much needed and welcomed addition to the Buffalo restaurant scene. They have many vegan menu items, and many more dishes can be made vegan by substituting tofu, seitan, or tempeh protein. The red sauce is amazing! I've had the vegan lasagna and the vegan polenta, both were delicious They also have an incredibly rich vegan chocolate mouse dessert. They did accidently bring my vegan pizza with cow cheese, so just double check with your server before jumping right in. The atmosphere is pleasant, warm and welcoming. I would definitely recommend Merge to vegetarians, vegans and omnivores (they do have some animal protein options on their menu.) The vegetarian food is prepared separately from the chicken and fish dishes, according to their menu. They also have entertainment - open mic, movies, art for sale on the walls. I hope this restaurant stays around for a long time!

Pros: Excellent Vegan dishes, Nice atmosphere, Good prices
Amy99
Amy99

Welcome addition

3 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

Merge is a cool restaurant and I'm really glad it opened up. More than 50% of the menu options are vegetarian, and many are vegan. The place has a really cool atmosphere--especially for the artistically-leaning crowd. I'd have to describe the food as good, but not great. I've been there three times, and only once have I been really excited about my meal. The tex-mex wrap and sweet potato fries are highly recommended. The sweet potato and peanut soup is only so-so. The ratatoile is fine, but nothing to get excited about. I'll definitely go back, though.

Pros: lots of choices, good value, clear labels

Dear Owner and Manager of Merge: