Serves meat, veg options available. Has veg food and desserts: salad, sandwiches, chili, soup of the day. Try the vegan melt. Brunch offered on Sunday. Casual setup. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by VeggieOption
Sarah P
Sarah P

More vegan than I realized

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2014

The Melt was amazingly vegan-friendly, and staff were knowledgeable, friendly and courteous in their willingness to help and get things right for a couple of traveling vegans. We ate the most amazing seitan melt sandwich, and an incredible vegan ceasar-style salad. The portions were enormous, and we had dinner leftover for later. I would go back any chance I had to try other Melt fare.

Pros: So many vegan options, Knowledgeable staff, Full bar
Cons: not a veg restaurant
TonySeta
TonySeta

Wonderful but with a few problems

3 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

I had a wonderful experience. All the vegitarian meals also came as vegan options. The staff and the food out of this world. The prices were a little high for the portions but I have seen much worse. The parking was a little tricky since there are few lots in the area that I found. The biggest issue I have is that I have a friend that handicaped and the place is did not have a ramp. So recomend this place but please ask them to add a ramp :) Peace n Love always

Shellkitty
Shellkitty

Refreshingly Unique Fare

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2013

My husband and I ate at Melt last week for the first time. Not being natives of the area, we found it a bit difficult to get to, but that may have been our GPS's fault. There is a parking lot across the street from Melt, but we just parked on the street. It was a late Sunday afternoon and the place was pretty busy. We took our food to go because we had somewhere to be. There's a big sign at the counter that says "Please let us know if you are vegan", which, as a mostly vegan vegetarian, I really appreciated. The atmosphere is cozy, like your average locally-owned restaurant, and the staff are friendly. This is also a place that you can take your carnivore friends to, as they offer items with meat, too. Even the items that normally come with meat can be made vegetarian with substitutions.
I ordered the veggie cheesesteak and chose kale slaw as my side. The sandwich was very good; they used seitan in place of the meat and it was an excellent substitute. I had been craving a cheesesteak for a couple of days, and this really hit the spot. The kale slaw was simply amazing! If you like kale, I highly recommend it.
My hubby got the avocado bliss wrap, which he enjoyed. He let me take a bite and I also thought it was very good. He got the herbed roasted potatoes with curry ketchup as a side and that was really good! The addition of curry to the ketchup gave it an interesting flavor and I would have been more than happy to help him finish them off.
We will definitely be returning!

Pros: Vegan friendly, Gluten-free options, Friendly service
Cons: Location
hermiebell
hermiebell

Awesome

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

The food is delicious, they will fix it vegetarian or vegan. Sunday Brunch is the best, come early the place is SMALL but worth the trip!!

Pros: not expensive, yummy food, friendly atmosphere
Cons: small place, street parking
lauraXsynthesis
lauraXsynthesis

My favourite cafe in Cinci

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

This is the sort of cafe I generally look for when travelling. It's independently run, popular with locals and has a great bustling ambience - though a bit over-crowded at times. I've tried a few of the sandwiches and all were very tasty. My favourite was probably the Vegan Melt.

Pros: Delicious sandwiches
Cons: Portions too big, Not enough vegan cakes, No coffee drinks

Sorriso.capo
Sorriso.capo

First & Last time to visit

1 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2011

The wait time really needs to be improved at this cafe.

We went on a Sunday and waited 10 minutes in line to order food then another 45 minutes for our food to arrive. Unfortunately the food portions was disappointing for the amount of time we waited :/.

Also the way to order your food needs a lot of improving.
For example you have to wait in line to order food then find your own table---if any are available by the time your done waiting in line :(

It was an Interesting experience but we won't return. We found better food and faster ordering + 100% all vegan food at the Loving Cafe.

Pros: Vegan options
Cons: Wait time, Food portions, Price too high
stargatelover
stargatelover

Great Food

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

I highly recommend this restaurant. If you have a non vegetarians in your party there is something for everyone. Also, I loved the spicy Chocolate/Cayenne Pepper locally made ice cream! We are excite to go back and try their Sunday Brunch! The correct website address is www.meltcincy.com

Pros: Variety, Atmosphere , Quality
Cons: Smaller interior seating
kveg10
kveg10

More than just 'veg-friendly'

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2010

Even though it's listed as veg-friendly, Melt is an awesome place that mostly caters to vegetarians and vegans.

hockenra
hockenra

Melt-tastic

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2009

All Cincinnati Veg*ans must go to Melt! The food is delicious and they have a wide variety of vegetarian, vegan and meat entrees. Almost any sandwich can be made vegan with the options of tofu, tempeh, seitan and vegan cheese that is made in-house. The also have a limited brunch menu on the weekends, with selections changing monthly. Aside from dining in, Melt also has a refridgerator full of sandwiches and various salads made specifically for carry-out. They also have vegetarian and vegan baked goods. In addition to dining inside, during the warmer months they have lovely outside seating.

Pros: lots of variety, good price, food tastes great!
Cons: not strictly veg*an
Arktoi
Arktoi

FANTASTIC!

4 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2009

I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been covered in the other reviews listed. The food was delicious (so much so that we ate there twice in two days), the atmosphere was casual and funky, and the staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the menu. As a vegan stranded in the Heartland, it's a special treat when I get to eat somewhere with more than one vegan option, so I was THRILLED to find Melt. My hubby and I took his parents (both avowed omnis) for lunch on Saturday, and we all loved it so much that we went back for brunch on Sunday. If you're in Cincinnati, I definitely recommend you eat at Melt!

Pros: lots of vegan options, delicious!!!, friendly staff
Cons: very crowded for Sunday brunch
Sprout
Sprout

I love this place!

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

I eat at Melt every time I visit Cincinnati. The food is consistently good, and there are plenty of vegan options. My omni-parents love it, too. I love the penne and "cheese" appetizer for starters, and then typically get a sandwich. Favorites include the Philly cheese steak (vegan-ized) and the Vegan Melt. They offer some delicious sides, too, and sometimes have vegan desserts (they seem to sell out before I get there). I also make it a point to have the Sunday brunch. Nothing beats the Redskin Mess (vegan-ized), but occasionally I mix things up with the vegan biscuits and gravy. I love the funky atmosphere, the staff are always friendly, the food always fresh. I can't say enough good things about this place and highly recommend it. It would get 5 stars (or happy cows, I guess) if it was totally vegan. But I do appreciate the veg options they do have.

Pros: great vegan cheese, brunch!, always fresh
skufgurl
skufgurl

Amazing

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

I have eaten here on two different occasions when passing through Cincinnati and my omni husband and I absolutely love to eat here. They have many different vegan options as well as omni ones. This is an excellent place to take your meat eating friends. Our favorite menu item is the Rosemary Redskin potatoes w/ curried ketchup. I would rate it 5 cows (but the site won't let me).

Pros: Excellent service, Excellent food, Decent prices
Guest
Guest

Awesome Vegan Food and Experience

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2008

Very small and very quaint place with mix and match chairs and tables. I loved the menu from the start. The majority of their expertise is on vegetarian and vegan cuisine. I ordered the "vegan melt" and rosemary roasted red potatoes with curry catsup. My "vegan melt" was on whole grain bread, baked tofu, house spread, and roasted green peppers and onions. I was so wowed by my dish; that there are no words for it. The entire dish had so much flavor and personality to it. The presentation was phenomenal and was on bright colored plates and bowls. And I really liked the fact that any dish that is vegetarian can be veganized (?) very easily if that particular sandwich or menu item appeals to you. I really liked that they had a sign up that said, to let them know if you are vegan. I couldn't eat my entire sandwich, so I had it wrapped to take with me along with the huge salad my youngest daughter could not consume. I ate the sandwich later cold and it was just as good cold as it was being served warm! That just tells you that the food was just that good! Yum Yum! The atmosphere was very diverse and beautifully eclectic as far as the patrons goes.

Pros: Excellent Food, Vegan Friendly, Quaint Atmosphere
VeggieOption
VeggieOption

A hip and friendly indie restaurant

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2008

Melt bills itself as an "eclectic deli," serving vegan-friendly gourmet sandwiches, soups and salads using whole, unprocessed ingredients in environmentally-friendly packaging. They source locally when possible and are mindful of re-investing in the local economy and community.

The restaurant is appealingly quirky with brightly painted walls of berry and periwinkle, and comfy, mismatched tables and chairs. Dine-in meals are served on funky thrift-store dinnerware, and local artists showcase their work here too, further decorating the cheerful space. When the weather is nice, be sure to check out the zenlike outdoor dining area in back. The main dining area is spacious but oddly there are tables in a narrow hallway near the kitchen that seem out of place. Avoid them if you can.

Nearly everything on the menu is vegetarian or vegan. There are veggie cheesesteaks made with seasoned seitan, vegan melts of savory, baked tofu, BBQ hoagies made with tempeh, and a half-dozen awesome, healthy salads served with multi-grain bread from Over-the-Rhine bakery Shadeau. The restaurant makes all their dressings in-house - there are four vegan and four vegetarian dressings on offer.

They also boast a mean vegan chili that garners rave reviews, and their soup of the day is always vegetarian. It's affordable too - most items are under $10.

I decided to go with their daily special - the Torpedo Burrito (a baked tortilla wrap of scrambled tofu, guacamole and spinach) served with a spicy, homemade pico de gallo. The wrap was healthy enough but I felt it lacked seasoning. The scrambled tofu in the burrito was very bland, but could have been alleviated had they scrambled it with some basil pesto or other seasoning. The addition of pico de gallo helped, but there wasn't enough of it. I also got a side of the roasted rosemary potatoes, which were fantastically tasty if a little cold by the time they reached the table, and the curried catsup was a welcome surprise.

Although I've heard grumblings about Melt's portions being on the small side, personally I haven't found that to be the case. In fact I have yet to leave room for their scrumptious baked goods, which is a real shame since Melt offers a nice variety of housemade vegan dessserts. There are also cupcakes, brownies, bread puddings and key lime bars from local bakery Take the Cake.

Pros: good value, healthy choices, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Melt: