Mellow Mushroom

Serves meat, veg options available. Part of hippie-themed pizza chain. Has veggie pizzas, calzones, hoagies, plus hummus and pita. Options for pizzas and calzones include tofu, tempeh, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, peppers, sundried tomatoes, and more. Vegans need to be specific. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by msmayz
TheVeganVagabond
TheVeganVagabond

Best Vegan Pizza

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2013

Mellow Mushrooms are fun and they all offer vegan cheese and tempeh hoagies. This one can get insanely loud, where you can't hear your friends on the far side of the table...but if you're looking for delicious pizza, head on over. 90% of the time they forget some of the toppings I ordered, but I'll forgive them for it. The pita is NOT vegan (contains milk), so avoid the hummus. Great place to bring a large group of friends. They also have outdoor seating.

Pros: Best Pizza in Town, Vegan Cheese, Tempeh and Tofu, Fun Atmosphere
Cons: Noisy
pandora_13
pandora_13

One large pie with extra tempeh, coming up!

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2012

The Mellow Mushroom is pretty cool, as pizza joints go. The atmosphere is casual, and at times pretty boisterous, depending on the time of day; it's a neighborhood hangout filled with college kids drinking beer and getting rowdy, which can be lots of fun if you're in the right mood. The decor is kitschy and fun, as well - I particularly loved the Dali-esque mural (The Persistance of Pizza?).

We started off our meal with a round from their ample beer list... and the Garlic Butter & Parmesan Pretzels. Long ropes of pizza dough were shaped into full-sized pretzels, brushed with butter, and heavily dusted with parmesan. They were served piping hot with plenty of marinara for the dipping. These suckers were good, mainly due to the tasty marinara which had tons of fresh basil flavor. (Note: I think we expected something akin to garlic knots, so we ordered a large. This gave us six huge pretzels - way too much for the four of us, considering the pizza we hoped to destroy. A "half" order would have sufficed!)

This was followed by a large Magical Mystery Tour. Pesto, two kinds of mushrooms (button and portabella), jalapeno slices, spinach, feta, and mozzarella were arranged atop a surprisingly tasty crust and baked to perfection. We added tempeh as well, because tempeh is awesome and there is no other place I've come across that offers it as a pizza topping! This thing was incredibly substantial. There were some big flavors here (pesto, tangy feta, and surprisingly hot pickled jalapenos), and the crust was crisp and sturdy and tasty in its own right. I tried my best to kill two slices, but sadly I could barely finish one and a half... those darn pretzels did me in!

If I had to come up with a detractor, it would be the strange consistency of the mozzarella; it was more rubbery than gooey. It tasted fine, though, and I still thoroughly enjoyed this pie.

I didn't feel that it took any longer than usual for our food to arrive - good pizza takes time, after all. Service here was friendly, especially considering the fact that we showed up sort of late when the servers were tired and probably looking forward to closing. We kind of got the hint, though, when they started stacking chairs onto the tables surrounding ours...

Pros: Tempeh and tofu pizza toppings!, Multitude of veggie/vegan options, Fun, casual spot
aMs42
aMs42

Great pizza

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2010

my bf and I ordered the gluten-free veggie pizza and didn't need a to-go box! The service was top-notch, although $18 for a medium pizza seemed a little much to me, we were in a city and the pizza came with olives, peppers, tofu, artichokes, onions, broccoli, feta, tomatoes, etc. Loaded. They bake to order, so don't come on a time-crunch.

Pros: Excellent food, staff
Cons: kinda noisy
Vegan Diner
Vegan Diner

Yummy cheese-free pizza

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2009

The title says it all. There were other adaptable items on the menu but the veggie pizza without cheese was delicious! We didn't find Savannah to be vegan-friendly so Mellow Mushroom was a treat.

Pros: friendly staff, several items adaptable to vegan
erninu
erninu

Easy for Vegans

3 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2009

I have never had the slightest bit of trouble getting my food vegan from Mellow Mushroom. They have lots of vegan options and usually understand just what a vegan version of something is. They have quite a few things to choose from. However, the service is REALLY hit and miss. I have had some good servers and then others have been completely awful. I actually walked out once because it was just so bad and almost didn't go back because I was so put out by it. But the next time the service was really good and the food was fantastic. It is definitely a hit or miss place. When it's good, it's pretty good, but when it's bad, it's terrible.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Very Tasty, Dog friendly outdoor seating
Cons: Service can be really bad, Sometimes slow

RaspyRaspy
RaspyRaspy

Was told they don't do vegan

2 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

I received the complete opposite treatment as the other reviewers.
I looked at their site beforehand and in their FAQ, it says they are able to make pizza without cheese and it would be suitable for vegans, since their crust doesn't contain dairy. As well, I read the reviews here on Happy Cow, so I thought it was good to go.

When I asked for a pizza without cheese, the girl laughed at me and told me, "We don't make vegan pizza, but we do have a veggie pizza. It has cheese on it, but it's close enough."
There were several staff within hearing distance when she told me this, and no one stepped in to correct her. I could have just had bad luck that night I guess, but it pissed me off so much I'm reluctant to give it a second try.

msmayz
msmayz

Vegan-friendly!

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2007

The best thing about Mellow Mushroom -- aside from the fun atmosphere and delish food -- is that the staff are friendly and completely willing to accommodate any vegan requests. Our favorite items are the super veggie pizza (no cheese, no butter on the crust), the tempeh sub (no cheese, no mayo), and the tofu sub (same). We've eaten here probably 10 times, and they only messed up an order once -- they caught it before they brought it to our table, and to make up for it, they didn't charge us for the pizza.

Pros: great atmosphere, accommodating to vegans, friendly staff
Cons: smokers by the front door, noisy

Dear Owner and Manager of Mellow Mushroom: