Serves meat, veg options available. Part of hippie-themed pizza chain. Has vegan cheese, tofu, tempeh, and veggies toppings for pizza, calzone, hoagies; plus hummus and pita. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

itzLaurenR
itzLaurenR

Key Word: Daiya

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2014

Mellow Mushroom has become a go-to wherever I am in the Southeast. The location on my new island home is no exception. Build your own pizza, calzone, or salad with a plethora of choices, including Daiya cheese. Usually, if you say the word "vegan," they know to leave the butter-brush & parmesan off the crust, but it doesn't hurt to be in the know when ordering. This is the best place for craft beer in HHI, for sure. The island twist on the psychedelic theme is nice. And the staff is exceptional: each server is consistently thorough, and when a mistake (in the vegan department) was made, they (a) identified it prior to serving it and (b) bought a round of drinks to compensate the wait. Round this out with weekly specials, locals night, and trivia, and it's a fave. Sure, as a Jersey girl, it's different than NJ/NY pizza crust, but it's still good, good food.

Pros: myriad toppings, Daiya cheese, awesome service
Cons: soft crust
NoCookingVegan
NoCookingVegan

decent pizza chain restaurant

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2013

This is one of the few pizza chain restaurants that actually have vegan options. Don't expect anything great, but it's nice to have other options than just salad.

Pros: predictable because it's a chain
Cons: predictable because it's a chain
HeatherBudney
HeatherBudney

Excellent Waiter

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

We had an excellent waiter! I asked for my son's and my meal be made vegan (so leave out the butter and cheese they coat the crust with). He just wrote "vegan" on the slip and the cook neglected to adhere to it so he refused to even bring it out to me. Instead he told me the truth and said that another one would be made right away and he didn't want me to get sick and apologized. I was so happy he did that, that I really didn't mind the extra wait, and we rewarded his thoughtful honesty with a large tip. Our meal was so yummy, too!

Pros: Tempeh, Tofu, Daiya Vegan Cheese, Easy to get to, Beautiful Decor
Cons: Nothing is vegan , You have to ask for things to be left ou

Dear Owner and Manager of Mellow Mushroom: