Serves meat, veg options available. Part of hippie-themed pizza chain. Has pizzas, calzones, hoagies, plus hummus and pita. Options for pizzas and calzones include tofu, tempeh, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, peppers, sundried tomatoes, and more. Pizza can be made with vegan cheese, hoagies made with tofu and tempeh. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
120 State Rd S-21-1184
Florence, South Carolina 29501

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by gwild

cheesy pizza

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2015

Once again this restaurant was in the perfect location for a stop on our route up the I95 so we decided to give it another try.

This time we ordered a vegan pizza with Portobello mushrooms, tofu, and sun-dried tomatoes. The cheese was Daiya. My husband ordered the portobello Reuben. We still rate this restaurant 3.5. Everything was good but we've had better. The vegan crust was thin which I love but we are not huge fans of Daiya cheese. We prefer cashew cheeses.
Mellow mushroom
We just happened upon this place when we stopped for gas when traveling on the 95 highway. (Thanks to the Happy Cow app)
The place is very bright and hip looking. They have many clearly marked vegetarian and vegan items. They offer a vegan gluten free ancient grain crust and they have Daiya cheese. They also have hoagies with tofu or tempeh.

We shared a Holy Shitake pizza for $24 and it was huge. We all thought the pizza had too much cheese and not enough mushrooms. If someone loves cheese this would be perfect for them. Perhaps it would be better if we had ordered something else and asked for less cheese.

My son had the kids meal of French bread with tomato sauce and cheese which I was happy came with apple slices. The portion was huge and he liked it.
I would rate this place 3.5
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 01, 2015

Pros: friendly service, bright colors, veg items clearly labelled
Cons: serves meat

Dear Owner and Manager of Mellow Mushroom: