Mellow Mushroom

Serves meat, veg options available. Part of hippie themed pizzeria chain with choices for vegans and vegetarians, including tofu, tempeh, and fresh veggie toppings for pizza. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by navski
meroe05
meroe05

Best Pizza!

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

What an amazing pizza joint! Perfect place for my family to eat (my husband is an Omnivore and my daughter and I are vegans). Love love love their regular crust, but even their gluten-free version (which is now vegan as well) is phenomenal.

Pros: Delicious, Pizza, Gluten-free
dct
dct

Best Pizza I've Had As A Vegan. Period.

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

Would be an understatement to say I loved this pizza-it was awesome!! Had Daiya cheese, spinach, artichoke hearts and tofu-didn't know what to expect, but didn't have my hopes up. Vegan cheese just never tastes right to me! I don't know how they did it, but it tasted amazing-best crust, great flavor. So glad we tried this place, hope they move to our area back home!

Pros: Great Food, Cool Atmosphere, Vegan Options
Cons: Price
KatyJMon
KatyJMon

Great vegan pizza options!

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2012

Mellow Mushroom in Asheville is a great option when you have a group of people with a lot of different tastes. Mellow Mushroom serves vegan cheese (I believe they just switched to Daiya brand), tempeh and tofu. This makes the pizza more exciting for vegans! You can order one of their specialty pizzas or you can build your own. I like to build my own with tempeh, vegan cheese and all kinds of veggie options. Delicious!

Pros: Great vegan options, Friendly, Excellent pizza
Emily Kate
Emily Kate

A new favorite!

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

Wonderful restaurant, great menu, beautiful atmosphere and delightful waiters/hostess. We ordered a medium pizza with the works of vegetables and vegan cheese. Our waitress was able to point us in the right direction to mesh our vegan lifestyle with the pizza options. The pizza and drinks brought the bill to a little over 30$, totally worth it! Only regret that were are not local to the area, we would eat there often!

Pros: Great selection, Wonderful staff, Local wines
Cons: Outdoor seating is noisy b/c of traffic
squabattack
squabattack

Wonderful Daiya "Cheese" Pizza

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2011

I ordered a small pizza with tofu and daiya cheese. It was enough to feed two adults and was sooo delicious.

Also, the atmosphere inside the place is awesome beyond words.

Pros: Great taste, Good price, Good vegan options
Cons: No delivery
autumnivy
autumnivy

mellow mushroom

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

Do not go here if you do not have 2 hours to kill. That said, the pizza is very good. Service is hit or miss. Sometimes you get a great server, sometimes it's just so busy that you cannot get what you need. Sometimes the servers and cooks are back in the walkin fridge getting high... Get your pizza to go!!! anyway, I have also had a birthday here and the bartender was amazing!!

Pros: good food, nice patio for people watching, good mixed drinks/beer selection
Cons: always a loooong time, cheezy atmosphere, parking non-existant
cringer
cringer

Better than Asheville Pizza

4 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2009

Even though I do like Asheville Brewing Pizza, Mellow Mushrooms crust is perfect! It's thick and just a little chewy how I like it. Plus they FINALLY have vegan cheese! Asheville Pizza's is NOT VEGAN! Definitely recommend going, plus the atmosphere is cool.

Pros: crust is divine, vegan cheese, fun atmosphere
Cons: pricey, long wait
Diner Dave
Diner Dave

Good Times...

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2009

Mellow Mushroom is a place that tourist go as mentioned by others, but bunches of locals go there too. The outside patio is a great place to meet with some freinds, drink, and eat fairly good pizza. Everyone knows, or should know, that it ain't the place to go if you are in a hurry or even lacking patience and tolerance. We like to go on a nice day and take or time and just hang out for a couple hours.

The pizza is as good if not better than Asheville Pizza in my opinion, although I really like both. Both offer tofu as a topping and Mellow Mushroom has tofu hoagies. Get some jerk sauce on/with it if you like spicy. The avacado sammy is good as well.

Besides Pizza, Calzones, salads, and a couple sandwiches they don't have much veggie fare, but it is enough for me to go from time to time. If your looking for that kind of stuff and you are not familiar with the Mushroom you should give it a shot, it can please your carnivore friends also.

Oh yeah... it is a bit spendy. You can easily rack up quite the hefty tab.

Pros: patio rocks!, good pizza etc, lots and lots of beer and liquor
Cons: pricey, slow, sometimes busy
veghead1977
veghead1977

It's AWESOME pizza.

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2008

Of course tourists go to the Mellow Mushroom, they go everywhere in Asheville, it's what pays our bills. As a local, I know, just like everyone else in town knows, Mellow Mushroom has great pizza. Their waitstaff was a little slow a few years back, but they have improved. I live and work in downtown Asheville and i eat there all the time. If you haven't tried the Avocado sandwich, then you don't know what you're talking about. Plus the owner is one of the nicest, coolest guys in this town. It's an Asheville icon, so don't go there if you can't stand pretty girls with tattoos or heated political discussions. But don't be fooled by these other posts, the pizza is the best in town right now.

Pros: great food, cool staff, great beer
lentil
lentil

Go to Asheville Pizza & Brewing instead!

2 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2008

. This is where the tourists eat. Locals know better. Pizza is way better at Barley's Taproom, Digable Pizza, or Asheville Pizza & brewing Company. Really expensive pizza & bad sandwhiches. Beer selection is great if you can stand the ambiance.

Pros: outdoor seating, beer, good location
Cons: lame touristy setting, loud & annoying to be in, overpriced
navski
navski

slowest place on earth

3 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2008

They don't call it "mellow" mushroom for nothing. Servers forget your order and even when they remember it can take 45 minutes to get a pizza. That said, if you are not in a hurry, they do a pretty good job with the pizza, as far as taste goes.

Pros: tasty, outdoor seating, good for kids or groups
Cons: slow as heck

Dear Owner and Manager of Mellow Mushroom: