Serves meat, veg options available. Large menu includes some veggie options with tofu, tempeh, veggie sandwich and burger. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Non-veg
664 W King St (near Appalachian State University)
Boone, North Carolina 28607
828-263-0300

Tue-Sat 8:00am-3:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm

First Review by tater_tot
veganblogger
veganblogger

Vegans, Be Warned!

1 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2013

We went for breakfast once, and have not returned since. Melanie's offers a tofu and tempeh scramble which both contain honey--and these were the only 2 vegan options on the menu. The fact that their "vegan" option is listed incorrectly on the menu is both alarming and upsetting. The food just wasn't good and our server pretended to know what vegan was then served us toast with butter and non vegan bread, then acted annoyed and condescending when we sent it back because we couldn't eat it.

We sent an email to the owner of Melanie's to complain about their lack of vegan food and the rude service of the wait staff. He informed us of the honey in the meal we ate. Only after the fact did we find out that the food we had carefully ordered to be cruelty free was not vegan. We contacted Melanie's about this issue in December and the owner promised to send us a gift card in hopes that we would try the place again. It's been over 6 months and the gift card still has not yet arrived.

I do not recommend this place to anyone--not only because you don't know what you're actually eating but because the restaurant staff and personnel really don't seem to care about their customers. For a place to tout itself as vegan friendly and slip animal products into its food is unacceptable. It left us wondering what else had gotten into our scrambles that wasn't vegan.

Pros: cute vintage atmosphere
Cons: not really vegan-friendly, no soy milk for coffee, appalling service
Elzilcho
Elzilcho

Not great for vegans....

2 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2012

I've been here twice, both times for breakfast, so I can't really comment on the lunch menu. It's a popular place for breakfast so it tends to be crowded especially on weekends, and it can take a while to get your food. There's a pretty big menu but things were overpriced and there aren't many vegan options (fair number of vegetarian options though). The tofu scramble can be made vegan and it's really good, but almost $10 just for a breakfast dish is a little much. Other items are similarly overpriced: I ordered a fruit bowl for $7 and was extremely disappointed with it. For $7 I could have gone to Earth Fare and bought way more fruit for cheaper. I've heard the omelets and such are good, but my vegetarian friend commented that she felt the stuff she'd ordered was overpriced for what she ended up getting (and she got more food and paid less than I did for my fruit bowl). On the plus side, the servers are nice and the quality of the food is pretty good. Atmosphere inside is nice too and it's quite clean. Not really recommended for vegans though.

Pros: decent vegetarian options, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: not great vegan options, overpriced, long waits for food
tater_tot
tater_tot

world's best veggie burger!

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2008

After stepping into the vintage, kitschy world of Melanie's, I was promptly seated at one of their mismatched, Brady Bunch-inspired tables. I ordered the "world's best veggie burger" with feta (vegan cheese is also an option), garlic aioli and home fries. The homemade burger was comprised of a rainbow, confetti-like assortment of diced veggies and flour(?). Aside from a phenomenal veggie burger I once had the joy of consuming at a Washington, DC tea house, I thoroughly enjoyed this meal at Melanie's. I could've gnawed on it for days :)

Pros: delicious food, prompt, friendly service, casual atmosphere
Cons: small space, parking can be an issue (near ASU)

Dear Owner and Manager of Melanie's: