Serves meat, veg options available. Has a vegetable section on menu with most, if not all, being vegan. Also will adapt most dishes to vegan. Offers an extensive selection of crafted beers. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese, Non-veg

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by AnnalieseH
shineonyou
shineonyou

Fun place, but not great for veg food

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2016

The atmosphere is neat and the beer list if fun, so I wouldn’t recommend against going here if those are what you’re interested in. However, you are on Happy Cow, so I’m guessing your interest is vegan food. There seems to be nothing on the menu that comes vegetarian, but they will modify what you order upon request.

Before going, I saw conflicting info online about whether the vegetable and tofu dishes were actually vegan or not. My claim that they are not is just based on what my server told me.

I asked my server about a dish that appeared to be just vegetables and tofu, and he told me there was oyster sauce in it. I asked him if there was anything vegetarian he could recommend or if they could make that dish vegetarian. He tried to convince me to get it with the oyster sauce because it’d be more delicious, but when I declined, he did say they could make it without the oyster sauce. The dish was OK, but not a ton a flavor once it was vegan-ized. The server did try to warn me and they don’t advertise that they have vegetarian food, so I certainly can’t hold it against them.

Go here if you want, you won't starve as a vegetarian, and it's a five star restaurant for what it claims to be, but it's very ill-suited for a Happy Cow listing.

Pros: Beer list
Cons: Oyster sauce in everything, so not veg
AnnalieseH
AnnalieseH

An old favorite

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

This has been my husband's favorite restaurant for about 15 years. When he first took me there eight years ago, I fell in love, too, but we became disillusioned over time.

1. The atmosphere is nice; the servers, however, are not. Every time we go, they act as if we're a huge hindrance and they'd rather we just left. One time, the server was downright mean, but usually the servers are just rude.

2. The veggie spring rolls are soooo good-- small, tight, and crispy. Be sure to specify that you want the vegetarian ones, though-- if you just say "spring rolls," they bring pork ones.

3. They used to serve a delicious drink called a Black Opium, but after having it once and returning, they said they no longer serve mixed drinks-- just beer. Bah!

4. The Lemongrass Tofu is perfect! It's what made us fall in love with the restaurant. The Curry Tofu is good, too.

5. Despite the good food, we've stopped visiting, when possible. It's now our second choice in Richmond instead of our first. They seem to focus so heavily on beer now that if you're not drinking beer, they act like you're a huge bother, and they just want to get rid of you ASAP.

Oh, and beware the candy dish: my husband grabbed for some on the way out last time, and his hand came out with some unwrapped, WET (as in already in someone's mouth!) candies. >_<

Anyway, visit for the Lemongrass Tofu, but that's it. There are probably better Vietnamese restaurants in the area now, but we haven't tried any because we no longer live in the area.

Dear Owner and Manager of Mekong: