Meals From The Heart Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Open air cafe in New Orleans Historic French Market. The concept is heart-healthy, offering food that have low sodium, cholesterol, and no tran fat. Sample items include grits, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta and bread, vegan blueberry pancake, brown rice, fruit salad, black bean burger, portobello mushroom sandwich, vegetarian soups, grill vegetables, brown rice plate, smoothies with non-dairy milk. There is a small counter for eating there, plus tables dotted around the market. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, Non-veg
1100 N Peters St, Bay 13 (French Market)
New Orleans, Louisiana 70126
504-525-1953

Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-6:00pm

First Review by CarolineMinLA
pheasance
pheasance

Vegan-Friendly and Just Plain Friendly

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2015

Staff here were the most hospitable we encountered, in a town that values hospitality. "From the Heart" is more than just the name of the place. They really know what they're doing in that area; we felt like treasured guests. Vegan options are clearly marked on the menu, and they are happy to make changes on request. The blueberry pancakes and vegan protein shake were both wonderful. My wife had the pancakes sans blueberries (a custom request) and loved them so much she asked to go back the next day. We did.

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff, tasty breakfast
Cons: no AC
kmanchester306
kmanchester306

Great place for vegan breakfast in NOLA

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2015

I randomly stumbled upon this place while strolling through the French Market on a Thursday morning right before the venue opened. My fiance and I had just landed in NOLA and were on the search for some vegan breakfast options when we saw the sign for Meals From The Heart Cafe, offering both vegan and gluten free options. All meals here are made from scratch and thus take 15-20 minutes to prepare, but it is well worth the wait. We both tried the vegan pancakes which came with vegan butter, walnuts, fresh fruit, and maple syrup. The meal was fabulous and the staff was incredibly welcoming! They also offer vegan salads, sandwiches, and smoothie, as well as desserts from Girls Gone Vegan.

Pros: Vegan breakfast
Frankly vegan
Frankly vegan

Vegan Stuff Easily Marked

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2014

Wish I could give five stars. Won't let me. Great menu. Vegan pancakes. Vegan black bean soup. Vegan butter on request. Veganaise.

Pros: Vegan Butter
Cons: Not Only Vegan

CaseyGill
CaseyGill

great!

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

Super friendly staff! Had vegan pancakes, grits and vegan shake. So good! They have vegan butter!

bobbin_robyn
bobbin_robyn

Delicious food, fabulous, friendly service!

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2014

I have now been to '...Heart Café' two times, and upon making my second visit, the proprietor greeted me by name, and welcomed me as warmly as he did on my first visit! It's a family-run business, and you can clearly see by the quality of the food that they all believe in what they are doing - and that is to serve up healthy, satisfying meals. There are several vegan options on the menu. On my first visit I enjoyed the Portobello Dinner Meal, which consisted of brown rice and vegetables, yummy portobello mushrooms sautéed with spinach, and a vegan olive oil garlic roll. IT WAS SO GOOD! Today I treated myself to their vegan pancakes, which were utterly delightful! I will most certainly be back for more of the family's scrummy food and friendly smiles! Next time I plan on trying out their nutritious Vegan Shake!

Pros: Food, Service
ShaneGilsig
ShaneGilsig

Do Yourself The Favor

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2014

Lots of vegan and vegetarian options. Incredible staff

Pros: Tasty, Friendly, Inexpensive
Cons: Popular=bit Of A Wait
josibrooks
josibrooks

Yummm!!

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

What a surprise to have a place like this in New Orleans. I had the vegan shake and the portobello Po boy, both delicious options. The service was friendly and fast!

ltrego
ltrego

Yummy!

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

I had the vegan smoothie and the vegan wheat-blueberry pancakes for breakfast. I also ordered the portobella sandwich for lunch. SO GOOD.

saveur
saveur

delicious smoothie

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I can only comment on the smoothie, but I really appreciated a healthy option within the French quarter. The smoothie was thick and fruity. Delicious. Recommended for the hot New Orleans weather.

Pros: healthy, delicious
heyheyrenee
heyheyrenee

Yummy Vegan Options

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2013

I waited so long in line as I was there during Jazz Fest but it was worth the wait. I had the vegan shake and the vegan mini black bean burger. It was hands down the best vegan burger I ever had. The shake was beautiful and tasted as good as it looked. I wasn't going to order it until I saw someone else with it. I was so glad I did. The people that worked there were exceptionally nice. Wish I had discovered it before my last day as I would have eaten there every day.

Pros: Vegan options
LindaSteel
LindaSteel

Nice breakfast

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2012

Loved the vegan pancakes and smoothie. Really friendly staff.

wellread
wellread

yummy pancakes

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2012

My husband and I both had the vegan blueberry pancakes topped with walnuts and maple syrup on our last morning in New Orleans. They were great. We were the only ones there at 9am, and service was correspondingly attentive. I would go back anytime.

Pros: that it even exists, great food, friendly
beakerr86
beakerr86

nothing to be excited about

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2012

I went here after work one day. All they really have are vegan pancakes and a fruit salad. Nothing to crazy by any means. great morning breakfast meal but at 4 pm not so much. I wanted to try the chai and almond milk but they were out of almond milk. FYI it is in the french market have cash handy :)

Pros: good if you want breakfast
clinpath
clinpath

You'll love it!

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2012

On a business trip I ate here 6 days in a row, because the food is excellent and the service is very friendly. I had the gumbo, vegan pancakes, crab cakes, brown rice and veg, fruit salad, and fantastic vegan smoothie. All were very tasty and reasonably priced. Service couldn't be better, and any item can be taken out. Bring your non-veg and/or gluten-free friends; there's something here for everyone! If you don't see what you want on the menu, they'll make it for you anyway.

Pros: good value for healthy tasty food, friendly staff; take-out OK, vegan and gluten-free OK
Cons: In shaded outdoors only; no A/C
monicalsmith1
monicalsmith1

Puzzled by previous review

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2012

No vegetarian choices when I was there two days ago. I remembered seeing this restaurants name here and in guides and loved the idea of heart healthier food in an area with so many fried foods. They had healthier options, but not the healthiest heart foods-vegetarian. I was disappointed to not find anything to eat here. This restaurant deserves a 0, but thats not an option, so I had to give it a 1

Cons: No vegetarian foods
  • Averill Lazard Averill Lazard

Dear Monica, my name is Averill Lazard and I am co-owner of Meals From The Heart Cafe in the Historic French Market in New Orleans. I was very puzzled as to why you gave our restaurant a 1 rating in your review, when it seems as though you did not even try our food. Monica, MFTH is known for doing foods that are low to no sodium, no trans fats, gluten free offerings, low to no cholesterol, no fried foods, whole wheat/gluten free breads,fresh fruit, no pork products, and we don't sell sodas because we don't promote them. We also, do not use foods that have artificial colors or flavors, and we "do" have vegan and vegetarian offerings highlighted on our menu. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have on making our small 5 seat open air cafe the "healthiest heart foods."(see our reviews on Yelp.com)

• monicalsmith1 monicalsmith1

I'm sorry that I did not have a chance to taste any of the items that you listed above. Like I said in my "review" I did not see any vegetarian items as I walked by your cafe, so was disappointed. So, I guess my only suggestion is to make the menu and specifically the vegetarian items more easy to read. Next time I am in in New Orleans--I'm coming back to your MFTH to taste some of the great items you described. Good luck with this GREAT concept of a restaurant.

CarolineMinLA
CarolineMinLA

Veg options clearly marked; friendly service

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2011

I stumbled on this place which is a little counter place located in the French Market. When I mentioned I was vegan the server showed me that all vegan/veganizable options on the menu were highlighted in yellow. They had an incredible black bean burger which made a perfect lunch. They also had a vegan protein shake. The service was very friendly.

Pros: Several vegan and veg options, Friendly, informed service

Dear Owner and Manager of Meals From The Heart Cafe: