Mead's Green Door Cafe

Vegetarian food cafe, opened since Jan 2013. Offers breakfast food all day, plus baked goods, salads, sandwiches, smoothies, and more. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Juice bar, Bakery, Take-out
642 W Chapman Ave (Batavia, Orange County)
Orange, California 92868
714-771-8556
OPEN NOW

Mon-Fri 6:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-3:00pm

First Review by jrkoppelman
woodhouse
woodhouse

great atmosphere, great for brunch

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

The atmosphere is wonderfully warm and welcoming. My favorite items are mead's ranchero burrito, taco salad, hot cereal of the day, and the chai latte with almond milk. this place is best for breakfast or lunch, or a casual dinner.

Meg Gee
Meg Gee

Buffalo Cauliflower...the stuff of dreams!

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

My husband and I found Mead's a few months ago after I was searching for any new vegan friendly restaurants in our area. We decided to try Mead's as we were looking for something closer to us than Native Foods and Free Soul Caffe. What a pleasant surprise! We have now been to Mead's about 10 times and I have started taking friends there as well. I have only tried the vegan options on their menu, so I can't comment on the other stuff. Most of the vegan offerings have been delicious, affordable, and plentiful.
In my opinion, the must-haves are the sweet potato hash breakfast wrap, the blue plate special with tofu breakfast, and the sweet potato scones (when they are fresh!). We've also tried the kale muffin (who would have though kale would be so delicious in a muffin!?!?), and a vegan cupcake or two which were okay. However, the very best thing on their menu is the buffalo cauliflower. SO GOOD!
I've also tried one of the vegan pizzas which was so-so (the crust was a little burnt on mine) and some of the lunch wraps. All perfectly decent. The only thing we have tried that hasn't been very good are some of the vegan cookies, particularly the vegan chocolate chip. It was very dry and my husband who has never met a baked good he didn't like, wouldn't even finish it.
The coffee drinks are good too. Just make sure to specify that you want it vegan if that is your preference. When I have gone there the staff has always been friendly and welcoming.
The only negative thing I have noticed is that there is only one bathroom with a toilet and a urinal and it can get rather aromatic in there. However the last few times I have been they seem to have improved on that issue and it has been clean.
The environment is very cool with lots of unique art and a relaxed vibe. We love it!

Pros: Buffalo Cauliflower, yummy coffee, close to home
Cons: aromatic facilities at times, small parking lot
CreatingHealthy
CreatingHealthy

Warm and Welcoming Place to visit

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

I felt very welcome and it was a cozy place to visit for the first time. I stopped here for breakfast and decided to follow the advice of other reviews. Ordered the Mead's Original Vegan Sweet Potato Scone to start and it was very moist and delicious. Then my main dish was Sweet Potato Hash it is made with roasted sweet potato and tempeh hash, black beans, Sautéed spicy green curry Kale I had it Vegan style with Organic scrambled Tofu. WOW it had a nice kick and all the favors came together very nicely. They also offer free wifi so I felt okay hanging out here for a while. I would recommend giving this place a try.

Pros: Plant Based Choices, Warm and Welcome Atmosphere, Gluten Free Ingredients

abrveg
abrveg

Yummy Food, So-so Staff

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2013

I ate here for the first time, and I ordered a cappuccino and a habit sandwich. The coffee was delicious, the sandwich was pretty tasty, but the staff could have been friendlier. I would definitely still go back another time though because the rest of the menu sounds good and the seating areas are really cool.

Pros: Good Options, Delicious Coffee, Outdoor Seating
Cons: Aloof Staff
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Breakfast and Lunch place with lots of vegan optio

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

Oh yeah! A breakfast place with vegan options other than Mother's Market in our area! We've been going to Mother's Market for breakfast for years and are getting tired of it. Freesoulcaffe is very close but they are so expensive and all we can get is a waffle or baked goods. Finally, another option other than Mother's, we can go to, where we can enjoy a vegan breakfast early in the morning on a Saturday and Sunday. We've been to this place 2 times for breakfast. I tried another time for lunch without my husband. I had great meals those 3 times I went.

My favorite is the Vegan Sweet Potato Scone and Ranchero Burrito vegan style (with tofu and no sour cream) for breakfast. I like the crunch walnut soyrizo in the burrito. Their coffee is also so good, a great combination with the scone. What I tried for lunch was the Taco Salad with soy chicken. Their roasted buffalo cauliflower and chipotle ranch dressing is so good. All their salad dressing are home made and vegan. The salad was so healthy with roasted pumpkin seeds, black beans, and avocado.

I also tried the Vegan Red Velvet cookie. Yummy but overpriced for a little cookie.

I tried their Vegan Sweet Potato hash burrito (with kale). Good! I tried it as a bowl style but wished that I had it in a burrito style. For people that are eating gluten free and low carb, that's the way to go. However, for me it needed something else to make it a more satisfying meal (may be additional roasted potato, rice, or quinoa).

My husband tried the Blue Plate Special but didn't like it much. He tried the Breakfast Sandwich with tofu and liked it better. He likes carb so a breakfast burrito needs to be accompanied by a scone or muffin. I don't eat as much so the burrito was too big. I guess we both need to come there several times to know what to order but we both enjoyed their coffee very much. I also tried a vegan chia seed muffin that I didn't like that much. I didn't like the chia seed after taste.

The place is eclectic. Artsy! Sort of remind me of Gypsy Den but has a cleaner look. Bright, airy, cheery! Lots of interesting arts done by the owner. It is a family restaurant run by PJ Meads, her husband Gary, and son, also Gary. I love to support a small family restaurant like this. I hope they will be successful.

Everything was served on a recyclable paper plate, cups, etc. Very casual and not high price! This place will be our usual hang out.

Pros: Lots of Vegan options, Vegan Breakfast, Close to home
Hippiecatlady
Hippiecatlady

We will for sure be back!!

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2013

I was surprised when this place popped up on happy cow... But it been open for less than a month. I am vegan and went with my non vegetarian friend... We immediately fell in love with this place!!! Decorated so cute and an amazing menu!! They let us have a same of the vegan red velvet cookie with espresso frosting and it was great! The homemade spicy pickle that came with our meal was great too!! We spent like 10 minutes staring at the menu and got great recommendations from the staff. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful!! The owner even came out and say hi to us! I can wait to try everything in their menu. Everything is vegetarian... And the vegan items on the menu are noted... But they said they can veganized almost anything!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday February 05, 2013

Pros: large diverse menu, vegan bakery items, cute atmosphere
jrkoppelman
jrkoppelman

Great Place for Plant-Based People!

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

I stopped in for lunch today and had the buffalo cauliflower, the blue plate special burrito, and a vegan sweet potato scone (all of which were great!) The vegan sausage and gravy in the burrito was really good quality - they clearly know how to make good seitan (i think) sausage and dairy-free gravy. Though the consistency of the sweet potato scone was more like a muffin, it also showed some skills in the vegan kitchen. Finally a local restaurant that is geared towards the veggie crowd!

Pros: Prices, Quality, Atmosphere
Cons: Limited Vegan Bakery Items

Dear Owner and Manager of Mead's Green Door Cafe: