FEB 2014 reported all vegan and moved to the Asoke area near Sukhumvit Road Soi 21, opposite Terminal 21 - if coming Asoke BTS, take exit 4 and the first right and it is 70m away. Same owners. Vegan cafe offering dishes including faux meats, masaman king oyster mushroom curry with Indian bread, tofu green curry served with brown rice, fried rice with tom yum soup, Thai salad with crunchy tofu, some veggie burgers, fresh fruit and herbal drinks, fresh soya milk. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Thai, Western

First Review by w11guy
caspar
caspar

Recommended

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2014

Ate here 3 times and each time left happy and well fed. Downsides are that it's at the pricier end, and I thought the menu relied on mock meats a little too much, but if neither of those put you off then definitely go as the food is well worthwhile.

gsbito
gsbito

Vegetarian Across Street from Exchange Tower

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

This vegetarian restaurant is directly across the street from Exchange Tower by the Asok BTS station.

I just paid a second visit to this restaurant this afternoon. Very good food, excellent variety of menu selections, and very tasty. Be careful though, if you order from the hot/spicy section, the items are VERY HOT and SPICY. I ordered one and it made me cry - just the way I like it - excellent!

As other have said, the staff is very friendly. Again, the restaurant is directly across the street from the Exchange Tower (which is adjacent to the Asok BTS station). You can see Exchange Tower front door from the restaurant. The prices are quite a bit higher than other restaurants but the restaurant is tourist grade quality and you'll find both locals and others eating here. I also had the Thai green tea, which is very different from Japanese or Chinese green tea - interesting taste. I had to go buy a tin elsewhere after I tasted it here.

Pros: quality food, friendly employees.
Cons: a bit more expensive than others.
Durianrider
Durianrider

Where is this place?

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

I hear good things and hear its open but have yet to be able to find it despite looking on their facebook page or website.

vane0001
vane0001

Best vegetarian food In BKK

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

Located very near Asok BTS. Friendly English speaking staff who gave us clear directions.
Super yummy veg chicken chop and Thai food. Even the vegan ice cream is awesome.
Prices are on the high set though.
Will come back to BKK just to eat at May's veggie house.
YUM.

ricklev
ricklev

Great food, but I'll never go back!

2 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

I'm writing this for the benefit of the owners with the hope that they will wake up a bit.

Please properly air condition your restaurant. It was at least 35 when I was there the other day. One feeble air conditioner was running, the other was turned off. Customers were fanning themselves. At least buy some fans if you don't want to spend the money to air condition your restaurant. But really, you spent all that money creating a restaurant, your prices are not that cheap, why not just properly air condition the place. It will pay off in many return visits.

The waiter was extremely sick and sneezing directly into the food. The combination of sitting in a much too hot room and listening to the waiter sneeze and sniffle continuously was just extremely unpleasant and unsanitary. Send him home....

The food was great and I would really like to eat there again. Why would I though?

Pros: Great food, Great food, Great food
Cons: Much to hot!, Sick waiter!, Sick water!
TantrkLvr
TantrkLvr

Delightful Vegan at a New Location

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

Highly recommend this Restaurant in it's new easy to find place, so close to the Asok BTS Skytrain and MRT subway. Expanded versatile menu, with traditional Thai dishes, as well as the best veggie burgers, mock chicken or fish burgers too! They now have a vast variety of coffee drinks, as well. Try the new 'Monkey Mokha' smoothie, with banana, chocolate & fresh local coffee. Great service, nice music and staff, as well.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 02, 2014

Pros: Lovely Interior
Cons: Last order at 8:30. Later=Better!
daveFCA
daveFCA

Great location, food & service

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2013

Nice & close to the Thong Lo BTS, we stopped in for lunch & ordered drinks, salad, curry & a stir fry. Everything came out fast & had plenty of flavour. The serving sizes were standard & there was plenty of variety on the menu. More expensive than a food court or buffet but that should be expected from this relaxing location. Highly recommended & worth a try!

Pros: Location, Variety, Thai flavours, not a Western focus
tiptopcat
tiptopcat

Really nice place with lovely friendly owner

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

I popped in here last week and thought it was a really nice place. The food was really tasty. I think the owners are a mum and daughter team - I met the the mum and she was a really lovely woman - super friendly (she had me go around helping remove stickers from her menus!).

Pros: Location, Selection, owners
scarrylarry
scarrylarry

Good Food; Bad Service

3 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

The food was really good. But the service was awkward. Some of the staff don't speak any English. Which is fine, except they wouldn't even try to communicate with me in Thai. Another got annoyed when I tried to speak Thai to her, assuring me she could speak English. Then she was really pushy when she brought the food to the very small table. "Take it!" I'd say in general everyone seemed to have a bit of an attitude. Maybe it was an off night. Maybe I'll give em another chance. But for now, it is what it is. This would easily be a four or five star rating if the service was better.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 23, 2013

Pros: Food
Cons: Service
  • maymaria maymaria

Hi scarrylarry,
    Sorry for very late action. I am May, Owner and Chef of May Veggie Home. I would like to say apologize to you about the situation you had met. Could you describe personality of the person who showed the bad service to you? I will give a warning to her. I always realize that customer is not just a customer. They are my family. Some of them become my sister or brother. Actually our shop has 3 people who run a business, My mom(PLOY:72yrs)and My sister(TUK :23yrs) and me. My mom and my sister working in a front site, cashier/take order/serve. All of us can speak English and Thai fluently. If one of them showed rude service to you, please feel free to tell me.
    I would like to say thank you again that you had been visited us and supported us to be a vegan cuisine which is very tuff biz in Thailand. Hope to see u again and have a nice day, Regards, May

Goattee
Goattee

Delicious

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

The restaurant reopened this week after renovations. It was our first visit even though we live in the neighborhood. The veggie burger is delicious. I'm suspect even some carnivores would enjoy it. The sauteed Chinese kale was perfectly prepared with just enough garlic. We also had mock shrimp with tofu and cashews. That dish arrived with some mixed vegetables. We enjoyed our meal. The mother and daughter both speak English. So if you're a tourist you'll have no communication issues. What's our verdict? We both agreed that we'll be back on a regular basis.

Pros: Perfectly prepared dishes , Fresh Ingredients , Clean and pleasant
Cons: Service Is Uneven But Friendly
SteffySteff
SteffySteff

Healthy, refreshing and friendly!

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

This is one of my favorite places to eat in Bangkok. I am a big fan of Thai food, but as a vegetarian I am limited sometimes when it comes to street food. This restaurant is located in the hip Thong Lo area, close to the famous street food street on soi 38. The daughter runs the place, together with her mom. It used to be a library, now it's a yummy vegan restaurant. I go there a lot, but everytime I go there I end up ordering the same things. The 'Rice Noodle in special yellow curry', creamy and very tasty. If they have any brownies, I'll have them too! Simply delicious!

I like to go back there, not just because of the food, but the staff is very friendly and pleasant to be around. Sometimes they sit down for a little chat!

Pros: No MSG, Friendly Staff, Authentic Thai Food
tufsa
tufsa

Lovely vegan food with lovely service

5 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2013

Looking at the reviews below, it seems like some things have changed at May's Veggie Home. For one, they are fully vegan. There's no pizza on the menue anymore, but there is a delicious vegan burger.

I love this place, and I keep coming back. It seems like many of their customers are returning, so that's a good sign. The food is great, mostly thai food and fake meat (tofu steak, fake duck and fake chicken). Not only are they vegan, they are genuinely concerned about your health. For one, they substitute the coconut milk in their curries with other vegan milk types that are not as fatty, without compromising on the taste. You can get spicy or mild food - they will ask you what you prefer.

These nice discrete details just adds to the experience - first and foremost the food is great.

The service is fantastic. I have only once been told that there's was something on the menu they wouldn't make, but that time I came just as they were closing so I just appreciated that they would still keep the kitchen open for me. If you're lucky, you might even get some leftover dessert from a meal the lovely staff made for some monks earlier that day - or they might give you a rose when you leave. My favourite restaurant in my area, easily.

The restaurant can be a bit hard to find, but it's on Thonglor close to Thong Lo BTS Station under a citibank awning. It's worth looking for!

Pros: Great food, Kind staff, Focus on the food being healthy
Cons: Can be hard to find
lotustummy
lotustummy

friendly veggie mom and daughter

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

we luckily showed up one night as they were about to close and mom and daughter happily made us a pad thai and salad. we were told they had sold out and to come back earlier. The menu looked great so we showed up at noon next time - only to be served the same thing.
Dont get me wrong - their food is yummy and cooked with love BUT dont expect to get the spring rolls or green curry... they dont serve whatever is on the menu... its whatever they decide to cook that day :)
that being said - we ate there quite a bit in the week were in BKK and highly recommend it.
Do note though that the SMALL map on happy cow is right - NOT the big one you download. it is close to the Thong lo subway - right next to a citibank sign and a flower shop.

Pros: wonderful friendliness, good value
Cons: slow, not cooking what is on the menu
AmericanPhil
AmericanPhil

great

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2012

The service and owners here make the experience a warm welcome compared to other Thai restaurants. The good is good and very clean and healthy. It's one of my favorite places in Thailand :) a little pricey I'd say but worth the money. A dish and drink will run you about 100, which is very cheap, but still more than other places in bkk

Pros: service, healthy, clean
Cons: expensive?
Davemeredith
Davemeredith

Good but not great

3 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

We went here for lunch and it was very nice. We had Massaman curry mushroom steakand Tom kah. It was all made freshly and the big mushrooms usedfor the steak were delicious. The Massaman sauce was wonderful. We were a bit disappointed at the very small portions. The staff were busy making food boxes for flood victims which is commendable except it was a chicken lunch. The owner told us flood victims wouldn't eat veggy food. Really? Seems there was a bit of a lack of commitment to vegetarians there! I think Thai people are willing to eat veggy food and I very much doubt that they would throw out a veggy meal. It's great to runa veggy restaurant but maybe there's no need to be apologetic about it? Just a thought.

Pros: Tasty food, Made freshly, Central location
Cons: Small portions, Parking is tricky
w11guy
w11guy

Excellent - I'll be visiting often

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

I went here for the first time today and was very pleasantly surprised. This is a fairly large place with seating for about 30 downstairs and also extra seating upstairs. It's a very clean and welcoming space and also very laid-back. The menu has a great choice and the food is freshly cooked and very tasty. I had the Thai Salad with crispy tofu and also the veg and mushroom fried in basil sauce. Both were excellent. I also had a Strawberry Smoothie which was made with cereal milk (they don't use cow's milk). For dessert I had the Soya Paradise, which was quite large. All in all I was very impressed. The service was friendly and it is a place I will visit often. There aren't enough cafes like this Bangkok.

Pros: Friendly Service, Brown rice , Mostly vegan dishes
Cons: Closed on Sundays

Dear Owner and Manager of May Veggie Home: