May Kaidee's Vegetarian...

Veggie restaurant near Khao Sarn Rd, in alley behind Burger King. This is their larger location. Upstairs is the cooking school (2nd floor) with balcony seating for restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by amonroea
Tomgreen
Tomgreen

Great food!

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

May kaidee have the best thai food!
i had the massaman curry with rice,it was amazing.
they also have cocking school... i will try this in my next trip for sure,
highly recommended.

Pros: great food , good value
AnimalConcepts
AnimalConcepts

Excellent!

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

We stayed in a hotel close to this restaurant, we went once and then came back 3 more times! We really enjoyed the menu and also did a 1/2 day cooking class with them. Lots of fun, great food you all eat while you cook and happy staff!

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Cozy locations
kiki sound
kiki sound

great food in khao san area

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

not the best vegetarian place in bangkok, but nice still...
as some people say here, the service is slow, yes
but the food is cooked while you're waiting, and it's fresh, as most food in thailand

Nina Organicwala.in
Nina Organicwala.in

Great Thai cooking class & tasty food!

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

I took a 4-hour cooking class here yesterday, and it was awesome! The food was very tasty (and lots), the teacher enthusiastic and funny, the equipment professional, the schedule well thought-out and the group size small. We all learned a lot in a short time. The price was moderate to slightly on the high side, but definitely good value for money. The only downside for me was that the food was not targetted to the health-conscious... every (!) recipe used sugar, and I almost fainted at the amounts of oil we used. However, I guess this was authentic, and after all we're free to tweak what we learned when we do it ourselves.

Pros: Tasty, Professional, Fun
Cons: Not very health-conscious, Not organic (I think)
Kalorienbombe
Kalorienbombe

Pricey but tasty

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

This restaurant is a little pricey but it is tasty and the food is very fresh. I've been there a few times and I attended the cooking class, which I do recommend. It gives you a good insight into the basics of thai cooking like making chilli pastes and stuff.
The food is all very simple but all very flavoursome. They have curries, stir fries, soups, salads (Try the Som Tam - traditional Thai papaya salad), noodles, fruit shakes and two desserts (I really enjoyed the black sticky rice with mango, banana and sweet warm coconut milk). Everything is good but considering the price, it's not thaaat special.

I was a little annoyed about my last visit. I ordered the Haw Mokk, which is one of the more expensive Curry dishes. On the menu it say's "Thick curry with firm soy protein and coconut cream". The first time I had it, it was exactly that, nice, chunky, rich and creamy. The next time it was purreed down to a sort of dip consistency which I didn't really enjoy.

All in all I do recommend it but it's nothing I'd visit regularly

Pros: Tasty, Fresh
Cons: Pricey, Inconsistent

Marcia
Marcia

My favorite dinner in Bangkok

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2013

Of all the delicious food I had in Thailand, May Kaidee's was my favorite. My non-veg friends enjoyed it as well. Service was great! I have no problem checking off menu items to order. There is less mix up this way. The place is clean and the bathroom has toilet paper (always a plus in Thailand) And they have beer as well, always a plus.

EcoWarrior
EcoWarrior

Only surpassed by the other May Kaidee's on Samsen

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

The title says it all. This restaurant worth more than nearby Ethos, but falls short when compared to May Kaidee's on Samsen: still very good food but not as great, and less friendly staff.

Pros: Excellent food
Cons: Not spicy (or authentic) enough, Service could do better
Kris G
Kris G

Good food

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

Good food but funny service. Waiter gave us order slips to put ourselves notes what we want to order. I found it bit odd. However I found even more hilarious when he came over and ask me to spare a cigarette. Anyhow I would still visit it again.

AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Not focused on customers

3 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

Perhaps I was expecting too much after hearing that it's an "institution", but I was disappointed here. The food was good enough but the service was embarrassing. For how small the restaurant was, the staff avoided us, left plates on our table for 20 minutes after they were empty and stacked up by us, and managed to forget an order. I would still go back because vegan authentic Thai food is really important to me, but I sincerely hope their management figures out how to grow without giving people a bad experience.

Pros: Good Thai menu, Quality food (not outstandingly good)
Cons: Poor service, Not near public transit
rhoa1033
rhoa1033

Amazing Thai Food

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

You have to meet May Kaidee to understand her. She has a passion for vegan food. She does private cooking classes at her house in addition to her several restaurants. If you get to Thailand, don't miss her restaurants. After I had dinner at her house, during a VegVoyages trip to her home, I felt like I have never had good Thai food before. She takes Thai food to a whole different level. The flavors expload. She is such an amazing person inside and out.

BramDeSaedeleer
BramDeSaedeleer

The only good thing about Khao San

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

This must be in my personal top 3 of best vegetarian restaurants in Bangkok. The menu is extensive enough to keep you coming back and the portions are real. Prices are very Thai and so is the staff. There seems to be a lot of coming and going of new waiters, so sometimes they speak English and sometimes they don't. The food is always very delicious and fresh.

Pros: Very delicious, Cheap
emmers
emmers

delicious veggie food

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2011

I live in BKK and have been here with friends quite a few times, it's worth the effort to make the journey to Khao San just to eat here. The food is wholesome and delicious, and the service friendly and attentive. The menu has a wide selection to choose from (would especially recommend the masaman curry). Also, Saturday night eat as much as you like buffet nights are great value (99bht when I last visited) with a lovely selection of authentic thai vegetarian dishes, including dessert.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 22, 2010
Updated from previous review on Monday December 12, 2011

Pros: Real veggie food, Friendly service, generous portions
Cathy P.
Cathy P.

The Other May Kaidee's

5 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

We ended up at a hotel down the block from the other May Kaidee number II, location at 33 Samsen Road, Soi 1 at Banglamphu) which is actually walking distance from the one listed as number III. May seems to be at this one most of the time, she is a fabulous hostess always making you feel at home and dresses in traditional Thai outfits. We ate here four times so we really had the chance to try a lot of the foods and they are all delicious. Even May says that she mostly serves tourists/Westerners--Thais are not too into veggie food. I took the cooking class on my last day in Bangkok. I don't enjoy cooking that much but it is fascinating to learn how those unique tastes are accomplished and I may try something at home in the future but right now I'm on hiatus from Asian food (too much while traveling). May makes the cooking easy, doing all the harder prep. Do check the price of the class before starting there was a special rate advertised but then I was told that I had the deluxe class. In the end May let me pay the special rate.

JezzingtonBear
JezzingtonBear

Which one's which?

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

Ok, so there are two branches of May Kaidee's in this alley. I always go to the smaller one, which I think is the original but doesn't seem to have a separate entry on here. They both seem to have identical menus anyway so whatever. I always just go for the smaller one as it seems a little more intimate and authentic and you're basically sitting in the alleyway.

I had the Som Tam (papaya salad) - always delicious though this time it wasn't as spicy as usual - and the Tom Kha (hot & sour soup with coconut milk) - it was nice but not quite as good as the Tom Yum, which I usually have.

Pros: Tasty food, Great menu, Cheap
Cons: Lots of flies
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Same restaurant, smaller menu

3 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2011

This Mai Kaidee's has a menu half the size of the other location, and is therefore missing most of the better and more interesting dishes. As with the other location, it's not very comfortable to sit in. Pretty standard Thai stuff.
Seek out the other location.

Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Not comfortable to sit in, Has menu half size of the other branch
Veronica01
Veronica01

Vegan Buffet a great deal

5 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2010

We visited here at our stay in Bangkok. Had Mai Kaydee's in Chiang Mai at her sister's place and loved it and were intrigued by a vegan buffet.

It's such a good price too, especially when you can actually eat all of the dishes since there is no fish sauce or eggs in it.

Mai was there dancing and was super friendly. They brought out fresh new batches of each dish every 20-30 minutes I think. One thing not on their menu was mashed potatoes but they served it at the buffet and I don't know why but we loved them and it was really a nice treat.

Everything wasn't too spicy either, so clearly made for the tourists! Will be back next time we come to Bangkok. :)

BTW we got there at 7:45 and most stuff had run low, so go early or be prepared to hang out and wait for fresh food to be refilled.

Pros: all vegan, inexpensive, food refilled regularly
Cons: had to take a long cab ride, locals don't know where it is
PURITZ
PURITZ

• non-vegetarian

such a nice place

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2010

delicious food, the sweetest family that own and operate it, made us special stuff for loour quirks like allergy to mushrooms etc

Pros: yummy, friendly
fire horse
fire horse

A lotus in muddy water.

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

I was there 6 weeks ago and had a very enjoyable evening. The food and service were good and the place clean and friendly with a homely feel.

I like the fact that they don't downplay the chilli too much for the farang. I had a coconut curry with veg and tofu - it had a good kick to it and was very tasty. The option of delicious brown rice.

The tempura was light and crisp and had spinach as well as the usual veg. The peanut dipping sauce was devine and the portion size was good too.

I plan to do Mays cooking course when I pass through Bangkok in a couple of months time. She also has a good Thai vegetarian cookery book.

Lucylu
Lucylu

Worth it if in the area

3 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2009

This is a useful place if you're in the Thanon Khao San area anyway. The food is pretty tasty and you can get the more healthy options like brown rice which makes a nice change!

The staff are friendly and the menu is extensive. The Green Thai curry is tasty especially if you ask to have cashew nuts added to it like I did.

If you ask Mai, you can get some take away curry paste and such things so you can continue to enjoy the food at home or on your onwards journey!

Pros: Friendly staff, extensive menu
  • eric eric

Lucylu, you wrote a very positive review, so why only 3 cows?!

Rawmodel
Rawmodel

• raw

Good spot close to Khao San Rd...

3 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2009

The food was not bad...a bit oily though. I wish the Thai vegetarian community would wake up about having some fresh salads. Lots of tofu and rice. Even a fresh coconut would be a plus. All in all though, I would go back. Their desserts were good too. About $3 for a plate. Two people should expect to pay about $8 with drinks.

The location is right off an alleyway, take your two lefts after walking out of the east side of khao san.

Pros: Location, price
Cons: oily, no greens
jeremy.busck
jeremy.busck

Bangkok October 6th 2008

4 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2008

After a hair raising taxi ride and trying to explain where to find May Kaidee's Restaurant my wife and I had a most enjoyable gourmet vegetarian experience.
May was very hospitable and the 8 different dishes including the desert we tried were delicious.
Average dish price 60Baht wich is really good value, well worth trekking across the city for a great meal.

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff
Cons: not easy to find, open to the street fumes, 300 to 400Baht round trip in taxi
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

"Best in Bangkok - the 3 May Kaidee's"

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2008

May Kaidee now has 3 locations in Bangkok.

The team have been providing incredibly tasty veggy food to myself & to so many of my friends for almost 20 years now.

Usually excellent!

Always best if May is there herself!

If you have a free half day join one of May's cookery classes & buy a cookbook.

Many organic ingredients.

98% vegan - cooked dishes are vegan - yoghurt is offered with a muesli.

More here - www.khaosanroad.com/may_kaidee_veggie_power_vegetarian.htm

amonroea
amonroea

Good food but slow service!

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2008

The fried rice was great, but I'm note a fan of 'fake meat' which was prevalent in the dishes. They have brown rice, which was a plus. My major qualm was the incredibly SLOW service, but they were friendly. Also, despite it's VEGAN status on this website, they actually serve some dairy products.

Dear Owner and Manager of May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant - Tanao:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Bangkok page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/05/19