May Kaidee's Vegetarian Re...

Veggie restaurant near Khao Sarn Rd, in alley behind Burger King. This is their larger location. Upstairs is the cooking school (2nd floor) with balcony seating for restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Now Open

Mon-Sun 9:00am-11:00pm

First Review by amonroea
monisonfire
monisonfire

amazing curry!

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2016

I've had an amazing curry at May Kaidee's that didn't only look gorgeous but tasted delicious, too! It was well spiced and the rice that came along was excellent - food that meets Thai standards (taste-wise) and is served in a lovely place with nice staff.
Prices are ok, especially as the food is insanely tasty and of great quality, but a little high for Bangkok.
Unfortunately, I didn't hear about the cooking sessions in time to book one. Would love to do that some other time :)

Pros: taste & variety, location, service & staff
Cons: price
Veg_travels
Veg_travels

Thai veggie heaven

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2016

This is a great place to visit, with loads of options and it's all freshly made!
Had veg tempura which came with a delicious peanut sauce (and I'm normally not one for peanut sauce), Massaman curry and the pumpkin hummus was also amazing and seriously filling, there's a cook book available with loads of the recipes in which means I can try and recreate the dishes at home too ☺
I always have May's famous singer to drink which really helps relax my stomach after travelling around! There are also options so you can make your dishes vegan! ☺

Pros: Vegan friendly, Delicious
LauraYasmine
LauraYasmine

Delicious!

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2016

Very tasty and fresh food. Would definitely go again.

JenMac78
JenMac78

Great!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2016

Delicious curries and thai food. We ordered a heap of pates to share and all were delicious. Good range of drinks too. Friendly staff and plenty of tables.

Pros: Reasonable prices, Tasty traditional food
LidiaSasaki
LidiaSasaki

Simple but delicious

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2016

I had the green curry and the papaya salad and it was delicious!! The staff is nice and it gives you a chance to interact with other travelers. Very simple but I really recommend it!!

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

famous veggie Thai

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2015

Our first stop for dinner in Bangkok was May Kaidee's. We arrived a bit early for dinner, so we had our choice of tables. The service was friendly. We ordered the mushroom spread appetizer, a noodle dish, larb and black sticky rice with mango for dessert. The appetizer wasn't quite what we expected, but the rest was very good. The Thai iced tea tasted a bit off to us as well. Overall, there's plenty of vegan Thai dishes to choose from and May Kaidee is world famous, so check out her restaurants. Just wish they were all vegan.

Pros: lots of vegan options, good service
Cons: not all vegan
mortem1
mortem1

Good, but no so special

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2015

Nice and cult place for many veg tourists! Great that this place included vegetarian cooking school with many classes. :)
Owner's cookbook available in cafe also, price 500 baht.
Here friendly staff and good but simple food for me.

Prices not so expensive, portion size is good also! I love their firm drink with mango and chili pepper - so good! Also they are have very tasty peanut sauce =)
Many dishes is vegan.

Pros: Friendly owner, Cooking school, Not so expensive
Cons: Simple food for me
mamba
mamba

Great great great!!!

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2015

We have visited this restaurant several times, and also their Chiang Mai-branch. This one in Tanao Road is just off Khao San Road, in a quiet back street. There are several vegetarian/vegan restaurants in the same street. The menu is vast and offers all the classic thai dishes, vegan-style. The few non-vegan choices are clearly marked. Everything tastes great!!! The curries, with yummy brown rice, the salads, the soups, pad thai, mango & sticky rice, the fruit shakes, the teas... They don't make the dishes very spicy, but you can always tell them how you want it. The prices are reasonable for what you get, many dishes were 80 Baht. Our best food in Thailand!

Pros: great food, nice location, reasonable prices
Cons: Nothing!!!
Siup
Siup

Nice experience, disappointing teacher

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2015

I took a cooking class here. I was very excited, and I have to say it was very useful, I enjoyed cooking Thai food and the result was tasty vegan food. However, I was very disappointed by the teacher. She was very concerned about other customers eating at the restaurant and she ignored her students (who paid lots of money for the class). I wish she was more enthusiastic and present. Her assistant was much nicer. Maybe she was tired, anyway she gave me the impression she cares just about money.

JessieVeggie
JessieVeggie

NOT VEGETARIAN!!! LOADS of dead ants in food

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2015

the food is VERY TASTY
until I noticed that EVERY time I went there there was small TINY pieces of dead ants and another small insect in the food.
this was in EVERY dish almost (especially the ones with soup, curry or gravy).
its a shame because the food is so tasty and they hygiene here must be extremely low.
I am vegetarian.
Eating Ants and Small fragments of insects is NOT vegetarian.
I may as well get pieces of chicken or pork in my food! whats the difference between dead ants in my food or dead chicken ? (for me, there is no difference).
so (in my opinion), this restaurant is NOT AT ALL vegetarian.
have a CLOSE look in your curry when you are there next time!!
i am really sad by this, because I always used to go to this restaurant every time I was in Bangkok.
the last trip, I had insect small pieces in my food EVERY TIME... on 4 different visits.. (over a period of 3 months).
you have to REALLY LOOK HARD,, because the insect pieces are small..
but trust me,, they are there!!
this was confirmed by 2 of my friends that went there since I told them.

** Message to Owner of Mai Kaidees" **
PLEASE BE MORE CLEAN.
there is a HUGE trail of ants near your bathroom...
other restaurants in teh area manage to be clean.. so can you!
use your fridges correctly.
clean your fridges regularly.
tell your staff to prepare food cleanly.
there is no excuse. really.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly Staff
Cons: NOT VEGETARIAN (insects in food), Pieces of insects in curry, soups & food, bad food preparation hygiene
Neusbkk
Neusbkk

A must visit to enjoy thai vegan food

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2015

The owners are very friendly and mostly they are using traditional thai outfits which is nice to see. I love all their dishes but specially they pumpkin hummus, seaweed curry soup and massaman curry soup

GoVeggo
GoVeggo

Raw Vego Vegan Infussion Thai Madness

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2015

This Place, is Tucked away in the street Behind the "Burger King"(of all places) at the end of Khao San Road...

Let me tell you, I was Blown away with the Amazing combination of Raw and Cooked Flavour Infusions.....it was Like A "Party in my Mouth" with A feeling of Gastronomical Pleasure at the end of my meal.....Also Try the Iced Coffee with Coconut Cream!

The Beautiful Thai Staff where a pleasure to meet and well practiced in 'English'....

We Love it and will Definately eat here as often as we can!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 01, 2015

Pros: every thing about it!
Cons: a little bit hard to find but Persistence pays big
ladyemilie
ladyemilie

Lovely Food

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2015

Set back away from the hustle and bustle of Khao San this restaurant is relaxed and authentic. Food was great and reasonably priced. I went back to do the cooking school and it was brilliant, would highly recommend the cooking school!

Pros: excellent food, away from the busy main road, nice vibe
TreeDudeLove
TreeDudeLove

Sublime & Extraordinary!

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2015

May Kaidee on Tanao Road is a deeply inspired and outstanding culinary oasis amidst the chaos and grime that IS Bangkok. While on a recent one-week visit to the city, my friend and I ate dinner and/or lunch every day/evening. At every single visit we sat in awe of the thought, ingenuity and dedication that has gone into each dish. We had the pleasure of enjoying just about every item on the lunch and dinner menus. Additionally, one night we were lucky enough to feast from the generous and downright proper buffet.

There is not a single menu item I would not wholeheartedly recommend. Every detail, from the superb Tom Yam Chili Paste and Peanut sauce (please order these every chance you can) to the creamy Pumpkin Hummus and incredible Massaman Curry, all dishes are fully flavourful and masterfully executed by her dedicated staff. I can see why this restaurant receives such admiration and positive reviews. I only wish that they would hook up an iPod to their speaker system for some chill out or local Thai traditional music!

Each preparation seems almost divinely inspired; I kid you not. I usually am not one to gush about food like this, but in all transparency I am gobsmacked! Each of our dining experiences were a delectable and nutritious gastronomic journey into the very best of Thai food. The prices are extremely reasonable as the quality of ingredients and proportions would easily be 2-3x higher in the US or Europe. Additionally, It was a delight to meet and get to know May Kaidee herself as she was often finishing her day after leading her cooking classes.

If you are staying in the Kao San area, please do yourself a BIG favour and check out this place! Literally my new favourite restaurant on the planet! You will not be disappointed!

Pros: Outstandingly flavourful food, Excellent and attentive service, Exceptional value
Cons: Ambiance could use improvement, Please pipe in some music!, Candles on tables would be nice
Baked Potato
Baked Potato

Great food, Great service

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2015

Ate here a few times, the food was tasty ! Easy distinction for vegan options. When i was there, every saturday they had a all you can eat buffet for a great price of 150 Baht

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Easy vegan food distinction
J.m.GT
J.m.GT

OMG!! This place is the BomB

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2015

Hands down the best Papaya salad I've had, and no fish sauce. And I had their Raw pad Thai made with carrot and cucumber noodles/not noodles...yummy
Delisious and very inexpensive. Had a cold pressed carrot, ginger, lime juice also. If they were closer to my hotel id have gone more than once in my one and a half days in Bangkok. Definitely going back on my return trip through the city. I really want to try the green curry that two Italian ladies were eating.. Having said that, it was almost impossible for they taxi to find it. Wrong place on Google maps. And not one of a dozen other taxi,shopkeeper or security guard knew either. Eventually I just started walking and found it. And their sign is really faded so I walked past it once. I will be back for sure.

Pros: Great food , Good choices , Very nice staff
Cons: Hard to find , Sign faded and hard to see, Wrong map possition
Woodruff01
Woodruff01

Easily best in Bangkok

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2015

This is some of the best food we have had in Bangkok. It's the sister of Diana from Morning Glory in Chiang Mai who also does amazing tasting pure vegetarian food. There's a great selection of fresh, quality food at cheap prices. We also bought their cook book which has clear recipes and great photos.

Pros: Excellent fresh food, Great prices
Cons: None at all
OnDine
OnDine

Awesome food

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2014

Great place to eat. English menu with many options. I haven't seen anything that is not vegan. Staff is friendly and is speaking some English, if there's a question. We had a starter (papaya salad), two mains (a curry and a soup) and a coconut juice for total 390 baht. Fresh and good ingredients, so worth the price. They have all u can eat buffet on Saturdays.

Pros: fresh & yummy food, mostly vegan, English menu
Cons: none
PeteyMomo
PeteyMomo

Awesome Food, Amazing Cooking Class!

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2014

My husband and I took the afternoon Thai cooking class with Tuk, and we really enjoyed it. It was wonderful learning how to cook authentic (and vegan!) Thai food. We ate a ton, and definitely had to take some leftovers back to our hostel. We took it on our first day in Southeast Asia, which turned out to be a great move, since we learned a ton about Thai food.

They gave us each a small cookbook with all of the recipes that we made in class (plus extras!) The cookbooks were set for individual portions, though, so I'll have to keep that in mind while making some of the recipes at home. Still, I can't wait to try out some of my new Thai cooking skills out!

We ate at the restaurant at another point on our trip, too, and the food was fantastic. Everything was really fresh, and the interior was one of the nicer veggie restaurants that we ate at while on our trip.

Pros: Super fresh ingredients, Friendly, knowledgeable instructors, Great way to get to know other veggies!
Tomgreen
Tomgreen

Great food!

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

May kaidee have the best thai food!
i had the massaman curry with rice,it was amazing.
they also have cocking school... i will try this in my next trip for sure,
highly recommended.

Pros: great food , good value
AnimalConcepts
AnimalConcepts

Excellent!

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

We stayed in a hotel close to this restaurant, we went once and then came back 3 more times! We really enjoyed the menu and also did a 1/2 day cooking class with them. Lots of fun, great food you all eat while you cook and happy staff!

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Cozy locations
kiki sound
kiki sound

great food in khao san area

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

not the best vegetarian place in bangkok, but nice still...
as some people say here, the service is slow, yes
but the food is cooked while you're waiting, and it's fresh, as most food in thailand

Nina Organicwala.in
Nina Organicwala.in

Great Thai cooking class & tasty food!

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

I took a 4-hour cooking class here yesterday, and it was awesome! The food was very tasty (and lots), the teacher enthusiastic and funny, the equipment professional, the schedule well thought-out and the group size small. We all learned a lot in a short time. The price was moderate to slightly on the high side, but definitely good value for money. The only downside for me was that the food was not targetted to the health-conscious... every (!) recipe used sugar, and I almost fainted at the amounts of oil we used. However, I guess this was authentic, and after all we're free to tweak what we learned when we do it ourselves.

Pros: Tasty, Professional, Fun
Cons: Not very health-conscious, Not organic (I think)
Kalorienbombe
Kalorienbombe

Pricey but tasty

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

This restaurant is a little pricey but it is tasty and the food is very fresh. I've been there a few times and I attended the cooking class, which I do recommend. It gives you a good insight into the basics of thai cooking like making chilli pastes and stuff.
The food is all very simple but all very flavoursome. They have curries, stir fries, soups, salads (Try the Som Tam - traditional Thai papaya salad), noodles, fruit shakes and two desserts (I really enjoyed the black sticky rice with mango, banana and sweet warm coconut milk). Everything is good but considering the price, it's not thaaat special.

I was a little annoyed about my last visit. I ordered the Haw Mokk, which is one of the more expensive Curry dishes. On the menu it say's "Thick curry with firm soy protein and coconut cream". The first time I had it, it was exactly that, nice, chunky, rich and creamy. The next time it was purreed down to a sort of dip consistency which I didn't really enjoy.

All in all I do recommend it but it's nothing I'd visit regularly

Pros: Tasty, Fresh
Cons: Pricey, Inconsistent
globetrotterk8
globetrotterk8

Very good

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

Lovely place, very friendly, helpful staff, lots of vegan options :) would go back

Marcia
Marcia

My favorite dinner in Bangkok

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2013

Of all the delicious food I had in Thailand, May Kaidee's was my favorite. My non-veg friends enjoyed it as well. Service was great! I have no problem checking off menu items to order. There is less mix up this way. The place is clean and the bathroom has toilet paper (always a plus in Thailand) And they have beer as well, always a plus.

EcoWarrior
EcoWarrior

Only surpassed by the other May Kaidee's on Samsen

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

The title says it all. This restaurant worth more than nearby Ethos, but falls short when compared to May Kaidee's on Samsen: still very good food but not as great, and less friendly staff.

Pros: Excellent food
Cons: Not spicy (or authentic) enough, Service could do better
Kris G
Kris G

Good food

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

Good food but funny service. Waiter gave us order slips to put ourselves notes what we want to order. I found it bit odd. However I found even more hilarious when he came over and ask me to spare a cigarette. Anyhow I would still visit it again.

AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Not focused on customers

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

Perhaps I was expecting too much after hearing that it's an "institution", but I was disappointed here. The food was good enough but the service was embarrassing. For how small the restaurant was, the staff avoided us, left plates on our table for 20 minutes after they were empty and stacked up by us, and managed to forget an order. I would still go back because vegan authentic Thai food is really important to me, but I sincerely hope their management figures out how to grow without giving people a bad experience.

Pros: Good Thai menu, Quality food (not outstandingly good)
Cons: Poor service, Not near public transit
rhoa1033
rhoa1033

Amazing Thai Food

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

You have to meet May Kaidee to understand her. She has a passion for vegan food. She does private cooking classes at her house in addition to her several restaurants. If you get to Thailand, don't miss her restaurants. After I had dinner at her house, during a VegVoyages trip to her home, I felt like I have never had good Thai food before. She takes Thai food to a whole different level. The flavors expload. She is such an amazing person inside and out.

BramDeSaedeleer
BramDeSaedeleer

The only good thing about Khao San

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

This must be in my personal top 3 of best vegetarian restaurants in Bangkok. The menu is extensive enough to keep you coming back and the portions are real. Prices are very Thai and so is the staff. There seems to be a lot of coming and going of new waiters, so sometimes they speak English and sometimes they don't. The food is always very delicious and fresh.

Pros: Very delicious, Cheap
leon48
leon48

Exellent

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

Ekstraordinary good option for vegetarians

Pros: exellent food, friendly staff
emmers
emmers

delicious veggie food

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2011

I live in BKK and have been here with friends quite a few times, it's worth the effort to make the journey to Khao San just to eat here. The food is wholesome and delicious, and the service friendly and attentive. The menu has a wide selection to choose from (would especially recommend the masaman curry). Also, Saturday night eat as much as you like buffet nights are great value (99bht when I last visited) with a lovely selection of authentic thai vegetarian dishes, including dessert.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 22, 2010
Updated from previous review on Monday December 12, 2011

Pros: Real veggie food, Friendly service, generous portions
Cathy P.
Cathy P.

The Other May Kaidee's

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

We ended up at a hotel down the block from the other May Kaidee number II, location at 33 Samsen Road, Soi 1 at Banglamphu) which is actually walking distance from the one listed as number III. May seems to be at this one most of the time, she is a fabulous hostess always making you feel at home and dresses in traditional Thai outfits. We ate here four times so we really had the chance to try a lot of the foods and they are all delicious. Even May says that she mostly serves tourists/Westerners--Thais are not too into veggie food. I took the cooking class on my last day in Bangkok. I don't enjoy cooking that much but it is fascinating to learn how those unique tastes are accomplished and I may try something at home in the future but right now I'm on hiatus from Asian food (too much while traveling). May makes the cooking easy, doing all the harder prep. Do check the price of the class before starting there was a special rate advertised but then I was told that I had the deluxe class. In the end May let me pay the special rate.

JezzingtonBear
JezzingtonBear

Which one's which?

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

Ok, so there are two branches of May Kaidee's in this alley. I always go to the smaller one, which I think is the original but doesn't seem to have a separate entry on here. They both seem to have identical menus anyway so whatever. I always just go for the smaller one as it seems a little more intimate and authentic and you're basically sitting in the alleyway.

I had the Som Tam (papaya salad) - always delicious though this time it wasn't as spicy as usual - and the Tom Kha (hot & sour soup with coconut milk) - it was nice but not quite as good as the Tom Yum, which I usually have.

Pros: Tasty food, Great menu, Cheap
Cons: Lots of flies
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Same restaurant, smaller menu

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2011

This Mai Kaidee's has a menu half the size of the other location, and is therefore missing most of the better and more interesting dishes. As with the other location, it's not very comfortable to sit in. Pretty standard Thai stuff.
Seek out the other location.

Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Not comfortable to sit in, Has menu half size of the other branch
Veronica01
Veronica01

Vegan Buffet a great deal

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2010

We visited here at our stay in Bangkok. Had Mai Kaydee's in Chiang Mai at her sister's place and loved it and were intrigued by a vegan buffet.

It's such a good price too, especially when you can actually eat all of the dishes since there is no fish sauce or eggs in it.

Mai was there dancing and was super friendly. They brought out fresh new batches of each dish every 20-30 minutes I think. One thing not on their menu was mashed potatoes but they served it at the buffet and I don't know why but we loved them and it was really a nice treat.

Everything wasn't too spicy either, so clearly made for the tourists! Will be back next time we come to Bangkok. :)

BTW we got there at 7:45 and most stuff had run low, so go early or be prepared to hang out and wait for fresh food to be refilled.

Pros: all vegan, inexpensive, food refilled regularly
Cons: had to take a long cab ride, locals don't know where it is
PURITZ
PURITZ
  • non-vegetarian

such a nice place

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2010

delicious food, the sweetest family that own and operate it, made us special stuff for loour quirks like allergy to mushrooms etc

Pros: yummy, friendly
fire horse
fire horse

A lotus in muddy water.

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

I was there 6 weeks ago and had a very enjoyable evening. The food and service were good and the place clean and friendly with a homely feel.

I like the fact that they don't downplay the chilli too much for the farang. I had a coconut curry with veg and tofu - it had a good kick to it and was very tasty. The option of delicious brown rice.

The tempura was light and crisp and had spinach as well as the usual veg. The peanut dipping sauce was devine and the portion size was good too.

I plan to do Mays cooking course when I pass through Bangkok in a couple of months time. She also has a good Thai vegetarian cookery book.

Lucylu
Lucylu

Worth it if in the area

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2009

This is a useful place if you're in the Thanon Khao San area anyway. The food is pretty tasty and you can get the more healthy options like brown rice which makes a nice change!

The staff are friendly and the menu is extensive. The Green Thai curry is tasty especially if you ask to have cashew nuts added to it like I did.

If you ask Mai, you can get some take away curry paste and such things so you can continue to enjoy the food at home or on your onwards journey!

Pros: Friendly staff, extensive menu
    eric

Lucylu, you wrote a very positive review, so why only 3 cows?!

Rawmodel
Rawmodel
  • raw

Good spot close to Khao San Rd...

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2009

The food was not bad...a bit oily though. I wish the Thai vegetarian community would wake up about having some fresh salads. Lots of tofu and rice. Even a fresh coconut would be a plus. All in all though, I would go back. Their desserts were good too. About $3 for a plate. Two people should expect to pay about $8 with drinks.

The location is right off an alleyway, take your two lefts after walking out of the east side of khao san.

Pros: Location, price
Cons: oily, no greens
jeremy.busck
jeremy.busck

Bangkok October 6th 2008

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2008

After a hair raising taxi ride and trying to explain where to find May Kaidee's Restaurant my wife and I had a most enjoyable gourmet vegetarian experience.
May was very hospitable and the 8 different dishes including the desert we tried were delicious.
Average dish price 60Baht wich is really good value, well worth trekking across the city for a great meal.

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff
Cons: not easy to find, open to the street fumes, 300 to 400Baht round trip in taxi
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

"Best in Bangkok - the 3 May Kaidee's"

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2008

May Kaidee now has 3 locations in Bangkok.

The team have been providing incredibly tasty veggy food to myself & to so many of my friends for almost 20 years now.

Usually excellent!

Always best if May is there herself!

If you have a free half day join one of May's cookery classes & buy a cookbook.

Many organic ingredients.

98% vegan - cooked dishes are vegan - yoghurt is offered with a muesli.

More here - www.khaosanroad.com/may_kaidee_veggie_power_vegetarian.htm

amonroea
amonroea

Good food but slow service!

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2008

The fried rice was great, but I'm note a fan of 'fake meat' which was prevalent in the dishes. They have brown rice, which was a plus. My major qualm was the incredibly SLOW service, but they were friendly. Also, despite it's VEGAN status on this website, they actually serve some dairy products.

Dear Owner and Manager of May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant - Tanao: