May Kaidee's Vegetarian...

Air-conditioned restaurant in Khao Sarn Road area making mostly Thai cuisine with a few western ones. Offers an evening all-you-can-eat buffet. Multiple locations. Directions: from the river end of Khao San Rd, turn right onto Chakrapong Rd, the name changes to Samsen Rd, cross over canal bridge & look for "May Kaidee" on the left, at no. 33, before Samsen Soi 1. NOTE: The neighbors have tried to profit from May's success and puts out misleading signs next door - be aware. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai, Western, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Lek
nielsgeybels
nielsgeybels

Little vegetarian heaven in Bangkok

5 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2014

Probably the best vegetarian food I had in Bangkok, some of the best Asian cuisine I've ever eaten. Definitely go there when you're in Bangkok, it's worth it!

Pros: Excellent food, Creative dishes, Very friendly and helpful
magicshadow
magicshadow

• fruititarian

nice restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2014

Nice vegetarian restaurant with large menu. Good and freh taste. The springrolls are not fried and filled with raw salads.
A bit cheaper than other "tourist-restaurants".
Small portions (normal for thailand). Normal friendly staff.

Pros: freshness, vegetarian only, cheaper than other tourist-restaurants
Cons: small portions
MirenBro
MirenBro

May Kaidee..number 1 in bangkok

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

Visited numerous times in October 2013 and January 2014. The food at May Kaidee is delicious, with a wide variety of dishes to boot. The location is great for backpackers very close to Khao San Road. Would strongly recommend the spring rolls (the peanut sauce accompanying it is delicious) but frankly everything on the menu was made to perfection.

Pros: Variety, Delicious, Excellent Service
Parsleyveryfriendly
Parsleyveryfriendly

Cookery Course And Evening Meal

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2013

The morning cookery course was good fun and taught the basics of preparing traditional Thai sauces and pastes. Ideal for veggie cooks who want to get to grips with producing basic, authentic Thai dishes. It was great to finally be able to make something that tasted like real Thai food. And May Kaidee herself breezed into the class and took over the teaching for an hour! Really looking forward to seeing if we can reproduce the dishes at home.. It's worth mentioning that you eat everything that you cook so perhaps go easy on breakfast...
The following evening we went to the restaurant for dinner. Although the food was perfectly acceptable, it wasn't as tasty as what we'd prepared in the class the previous day! The TV in the corner was showing a video of May making a Pad Thai, but the one we ordered didn't look very much like it! Presentation was lacking a bit. Have had better elsewhere. As a dining experience we prefer Ethos overall.. But the cookery course met our requirements perfectly!

Pros: New Skills, Celebrity Encounter, Good Vegan Selection
Cons: Inconsistent
Gudrun
Gudrun

Vegan food at its best - Thai style

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

I came to Thailand for a round trip with just a very few days to spend in Bangkok. As usually I had a printout from "Happy Cow" with me and I planned to visit several vegetarian restaurants in Bangkok.

May Kaidee's on Samsen Rd. was the first place on my list since it was closest to my hotel. I went there right after arrival, so quite tired.

The first thing I noticed was the warmth and friendliness of the staff which seemed genuine.

Everything on the menu looked great but about nothing was familiar to me. I was told it was all vegan which made it even better for me (they do serve milk with coffee on request, though) - but difficult to choose!

I asked for a recommendation. The staff member I talked to gave quite some explanations and inquired about my spice level which in the end we both defined as "medium" (for a Thai person, a European would rather call it "hot"). I am not 100% sure what the dish I had was called, but I think it was the Tom Kah soup. It did not only taste great (with the right spice level for me!) , but it had some energizing effect on me, due to all the fresh ingredients and spices I believe.

Well, I was hooked and did not make it to any other restaurant on my list, just went back to May Kaidee's as often as I could to try more of their food. And everything was just wonderful.

On my last day I bough a couple of souvenirs: their own cookbook and some of their teas and spices and curry mixes. Just a pity I could not make it to their cooking school - but I'll be back, some day!

Pros: great food, wonderful staff
Cons: no cons at all!
earthville
earthville

From good to great

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

May Kaidee's has become a travelers' institution in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and for good reason. I've never had anything i didn't like at May Kaidee's, and some of the dishes are especially great, especially when May herself is present.

My favorites are the "Zinger" juice (very refreshing) and the curries (which are among the most authentically Thai of her offerings, and can be spiced according to your preference).

Tip: If you're dining alone and want to try more than one or two items, ask for a "buffet" meal, by which they mean a tasting menu with several dishes. I had one recently for only 150B, which is fantastic value.

I prefer this location to the one in the alley off Khao San Rd.

Pros: Tasty vegan Thai cuisine, Reasonable prices for the quality
EcoWarrior
EcoWarrior

This very place serves the best food in Thailand

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

I am vegan for 15 years and know Thailand quite a bit: I state that May Kaidee's on Thanon Samsen is the best affordable vegan restaurant I've ever been.
Their vegan pad thai, for instance, is truly a marvel; it was better than on their Tanao location.
The service was great too (Feb-March 2013): the waiter, a young man, was always very friendly and spoke english well.

I can't support the comments saying the portions are small, the food mundane or the service perfectible: we went to this restaurant a few times during our trip and there we've got the largest portions of all our trip, the best service (besides the "31" in Krabi), and by far the tastiest food.
All in all the best value for money, hands down.

Pros: Marvelous food, Friendly staff, Good portions
Cons: Not spicy (or authentic) enough
AmericanPhil
AmericanPhil

mae queen

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

One of the best thai food restaurants worldwide. its very clean and the food is always made fresh. the buffet on the weekends is great as well and you will leave fuller than you can possibly imagine. they have free wifi and the setting is very relaxed. on the other hand, it is not very 'authentic'. if you are looking for an authentic thai experience this is not the place to go. the only people who eat here are smelly, hippy tourists with backpacks. if youre vegan, try the thai iced tea with coconut milk. ask for it! :) the cooking class is great too, if you are visiting and want a fun time!

Pros: great vegan food, english widely spoken, very clean environment
Cons: not authentic
dumsterdave
dumsterdave

Good food/small portions

3 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

The food here was very tasty and I have returned a few times to try other things. I thought the vegan sushi was rather nice.
As for he haw mok(spelled right?), well, it was very tasty, but it came in a bowl that you would normally server to a 5 year old. The food was gone in about 5 bites. Looking around at other tables made me realise that may kaydee is more about quality than quantity. All the portions are tiny. I recommend you go a little bit farther down and eat at ethos which is a bit more expensive but at least you'll walk away with a full stomach. The staff are really friendly and are always smiling, but its too bad they can barely speak english. It was difficult to ask what ingredients were in the food

Pros: everything looks so good, friendly smiles, tasty
Cons: not very cozy, small portions, poor english
lotustummy
lotustummy

ok - but Jenny's on Soi 4 (0r 3?) was better

3 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

May Kaidee's is an institution BUT feels more like a business than a friendly veg restaurant. Yes the food is good BUT we got the pitch for cooking lessons twice
our suggestion? Walk a little further down Samsen to soi 4 or 3 (we cant remember sorry) and eat at Jenny's - its cheaper and friendlier. Its not pure veg but their extensive menu for veg foods is wonderful! try the massaman curry and the som tam! yum

Pros: good veg food
Cons: buffet offers several nights a week, too many pitches for expensive classes, busy
Eric_
Eric_

I don't understand the hype

2 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

This was the first vegetarian restaurant I tried in Bangkok, and I was disappointed. Understood later that vegetarian food in Thailand simply isn't as good as in other Asian countries, but still, after reading so many happy comments about this place, I was surprised in a negative way. Nothing special.

Pros: Wifi, Easy to find
Cons: Boring food
  • eric eric

Hi Eric, what did you order? It also can vary depending if May is in the kitchen or not. I've always found the food to be very exceptional when she's there.

Nikki1801
Nikki1801

A decent meal

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

May was there doing a cooking class and roped us all into dancing, it was great fun! :)
The food was good & lots of choice (although I must confess I preferred the food in Chiang Mai- sorry!)
I love the fact they do brown rice, hard to find in Asia!
Decent portions and a fair price.

Pros: friendly, good menu
ANiMaLnz
ANiMaLnz

Thai vegan cuisine at it's best

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2012

Located on a noisy thoroughfare a short distance from the tourist centre of Koh San Road, May Kaidee's has become somewhat of an institution in Bangkok. And with good reason. Upon arrival we were greeted by the warm smiles of the restaurant's friendly wait staff who were more than happy to tailor dishes to suit our taste preferences. But ordering just one from the double-sided, A3-sized menu posed a serious challenge, one that was almost certain to result in food envy! Our meals arrived in timely fashion and we were pleasantly surprised to discover that they were every bit as amazing as they looked on the menu, and tasted even better! And at around THB90 per dish were also highly affordable. Unfortunately we will have moved on by Saturday so will miss the weekly buffet, but imagine it's well worth a look. There's also a cooking school for anyone who fancies trying their hand in the kitchen. So if you're looking for a healthy and affordable dining alternative while in Bangkok, don't go past May Kaidee's!

swoon0313
swoon0313

I like this restaurant the most

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

Tried the Fried brown rice,noodle with green curry and sushi. It were so nice and delicious! and the price was cheap too, each dish was about 60-70 baht only.

Pros: nice food, reasonable price
dcchris
dcchris

Not as good as before

3 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2012

Well people always say "You should have been here 10 years ago" all the time. But in this case I started going to the original May Kadee's when she first opened and was hands on every day. Before the great expansion and business ventures and I must say my last few visits a few months ago after a 5 year absence were disappointing. The dishes are smaller, prices higher, service spotty in both locations I ate at. As well they seem to have opened a seafood restaurant down the soi which isn't exactly in the vegetarian ethos imo. I am happy that business is so good and all as May is very nice but unfortunately the most important aspects of dining were not there for me. They do have a good corner on the Banglaphu market as there don't seem to be many other reasonably priced pure veg places around at nighttime. In daytime you can eat for half the price at a traditional thai veg place.

Pros: healthy cuisine, tasty food, good location
Cons: smokers, small portions, expensive
sbszine
sbszine

Excellent

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

Some of the best Thai food I've ever tasted, with good sized portions too. The pad thai was particularly good, and the penang curry was great too.

Service is odd: I had to specifically request a plate and cutlery, and fill in the waiter's pad with my order! I also got the hard sell for the cooking classes (which do look good). Anyway, the service is a minor nitpick that doesn't really detract from the place.

Update: I came back in 2011 and tried the cooking classes, and they were fabulous and are highly recommended.

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 24, 2010

Pros: Food!
Cons: Service
jort38
jort38

Experiences

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

My (Thai) friends and myself made an appointment here to have dinner. As I have read in another review, it is indeed a bit hard to find, especially as they are renovating the front building. So now you have to find the alley that connects to the temporary dining location.
Indeed you write down your order yourself. This is not unusual in Thai restaurants.
Food was excellent. The owner even performed some Thai dances during our meal.

Pros: Price, location, entertainment
Cons: hard to find
choogirl
choogirl

Fantastic thai vegan cooking course

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

I went here in Feb 2011 to do the cooking course. It was fantastic. We prepared 14 dishes in about 3 hours. All the dishes were vegan except the pad thai (which traditionally has an egg, but I left this out). It was so much food that I ended up taking half of it away with me to eat later.

May is a beautiful person who is very passionate about vegetarianism. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in thai cooking. I also recommend her cook book which you can buy there.

The only issue I had was finding this place. I had a terrible cab driver who had no clue where to go. I'd been in Bangkok one day and it was me who got us there in the end.

Pros: value, variety
Cons: hard to find
bignameactress
bignameactress

The best vegetarian chain ever.

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2011

I ate at both locations many times in Feb of 2006 and it was a true delight.

Memorable sticky rice with mango and banana. Was never disappointed in the food and would return in a second.

I also stayed in a guest room for a few nights. I really liked the accommodation in that it seemed to be a very authentic thai experience. However, I wouldn't recommend staying there- based on my belief that my particular room had bed bugs. (Corner bedroom) (All of the typical signs- wooden bed frame, many little spots of blood on the sheets and walls.) Perhaps they have taken care of this problem in the last 5 years. This wouldn't deter me from partaking in their wonderful vegetarian fare, though.

Her cooking course was memorable, delightful, and very educational! I loved that we started by going to the grocery store/market and were sent home with all of the recipes. I also took pictures of the ingredients so that I could more easily find them at home. She sang during the lesson and taught us her special May Kaidee song. So much fun! Amazing value at $20USD for 3 hours and a ton of delicious food. I have since cooked her recipes many times since returning home!

Pros: Great cooking course, Fantastic food, Very friendly staff
  • may_kaidee_team may_kaidee_team

bignameactress,

We apologize for your experience at our guest house. We strive to offer a much better service than you were provided.

We had our building inspected and fortunately we do *not* have bedbugs, however we do have a termite problem. It's possible that you saw evidence of termites that in fact had eaten some of the wooden bed frame.

We've started to plan a complete renovation of the guest house, and expect to finish the project later this year - free of termites!... while offering higher quality accommodation overall.

We would like to offer you a free room at our guest house once the renovation is finished, on your next visit to Bangkok. Let us know.

Finally, thank you for separating your opinion of the guest house experience from the experience with our restaurants and cooking school.

- The May Kaidee Team

Ianthewander
Ianthewander

Yum Yum

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2011

Been there many times in 2010. Hope to go again. My review, see above. Tasty, varied, fun atmosphere.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 07, 2011.
Saturday night buffet for not very much (~150b, I forget exact figure), cheap.

Pros: taste, variety.
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Inexpensive hearty fare

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2011

Originator of vegetarianism in Thailand, Mai Kaidee offers hearty, healthy stuff in a restaurant that could use some creature comforts and a lick of paint. It's all pretty standard- the carrot salad and the deep-fried seaweed with peanut sauce are highlights. The staff are all very friendly and you can't complain about the prices.

Pros: Inexpensive, Friendly, Decent food
Cons: Not very comfortable
eric
eric

No Fish Sauce Used

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2010

Just back from May's and it's as good as ever! I love her curries and everything she does. It does vary a bit between locations, but overall, always good. She was recently working on starting a US location but is now back and in charge of everything in her Bangkok locations. Her cooking classes are amazing and also recommended.

May Kaidee NEVER uses fish sauce in any of her cooking. Probably "Piscesylph" just saw mock / "faux" fish sauce bottles with pictures of fish on it. If you're in Bangkok, definitely swing by and give her food a try- see for yourself!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 06, 2005

Pros: Excellent Food, No MSG, All Vegetarian
lavanya
lavanya

Thai Food

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2010

Food in this little restaurant is cool with Thai style. I tried their Sotam (Thai Salad) yummy yummy if you are fans of spicy! I enjoyed it very much and will surely come back again.
p/s: But they do use garlic and onion. Please inform the kitchen if your diet is without G&O!

Pros: Healthy food, Fair price
Cons: Not that easy to locate
batski
batski

Friendly staff

3 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2010

This restaurant is located on a somewhat busy street, so it is a good thing that it is totally indoors with a front wall of glass (most restaurants in Thailand don't have a front wall/are open to the street).

I was at this place twice to pick up some take-away. The staff is very friendly and speak fairly good English. They have a variety of vegan choices on the menu. The food is fairly good. I actually prefer this place to the other May Kaidee's.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good English
tbonesf
tbonesf

• raw

Thai vegan cooking class!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2010

Went to take the cooking class. learned to make 8 different thai dishes all vegan. I am now the thai curry cooking master (in my own mind). May Kaidee is the owner and she was there to teach the class. She is a fun, free spirit. I ate there several times while on vacation. the banana, mango and brown rice covered with coconut milk was amazing. :)

Pros: Amazing Food, Thai Vegan cooking classes, Very reasonable prices
Cons: None :)
reikidevi
reikidevi

May Kaidee's

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2010

We have been coming to May Kaidees for years... can't remember when, but since 90's. We find it a refreshing oasis for food. Last year we took the cooking class and it was marvelous...I suggest the 9 am one as you go to the market and shop with her, she's a hoot.
May is coming to New York in America and we hope to bring her to Colorado Springs this summer....
The staff at both places are terrific and frendly.
The buffet on Sat is our highlight... all for 99B which is $3. And free Thai Dancing demonstrations.. It's become quite the gathering place.
Deffinately put this in your computer and plan on enjoying it all-here.
We are currently renting a room for a month and have settled in well.
Thailand is a great place for vegetarian food. It's all over the street, food choices all over.
We were in China town the other day and asked about where to each vegetarian. It was written in thai. As we were in the heart of a crowded market, we were directed down an alley and lo and behold, there was a pure vegetarian tiny open air food stall... what good food and for less than $5 we both ate a huge lunch...yummy! Now we will see what Cambodia and Vietnam have for us... India is no problem, so we know we are fine there.
By the way, Bangkok has tons of indian restaurants as well. A vegetarian need never go hungry in this City... we love it!
Sharon & Ravi
Thanks May Kaidee for your inspiration and dedication and to the whole family who make it all possible.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value
peasonearth
peasonearth

Best part of a Bangkok visit

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2009

I've been through Bangkok so many times I've lost count over the years, and this is the place I head to every time. Great food, friendly staff. Like a little oasis in this big, often dirty city.

Pros: clean, affordable, healthy
Guest

Recommended by so many friends -

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

I am in Bangkok just for the weekend and last night I went to May Kaidee.

I had the "banana flower salad" with red rice - the flavors were just incredible.

I had the organic "mulberry leaf tea" which somehow is not yet on the menu but I overheard a Brazilian girl raving about it - it tasted heavenly.

May Kaidee is a wonderful restaurant!

xtable
xtable

An absolute vegan oasis in Bangkok

5 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2009

This is an absolute must for any vegan serious about eating truly vegan fare in Bangkok. Food is delicious, authentically vegan, and wholesome. Service is great, always served with a thai smile, and very affordable with big servings.

After spending a month in Thailand struggling over every meal to have it made without eggs, fish sauce, oyster sauce or animal fats, etc, it was a gift from heaven to fall into May Kaidees and meet May Kaidee herself and her sweet sister, who truly understand what vegetarian/vegan truly means, and make incredibly delicious fresh meals from scratch.

The papaya salad was great, and anything with peanut sauce was also delicious. We wanted to eat every single item on the menu, but only had time for two meals there.

Just a short walk from the popular Khao San / Banglumpoo area (north and over the bridge).

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, Big plates
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

May Kaidee for a HappyCow HappyLife

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2008

"May Kaidee II" on Samsen Rd. - a sanctuary - this is where I love to stay whenever I am in Bangkok for a few days.

To me it is "simply wonderful" & an amazing bargain both for the accomodation & for the superb food / drinks.

Home grown brown rice which is truly organic - carefully selected fresh produce - a good % of which comes from small growers who do not use chemical fertilizers / insecticides.

Great cooking by the team of May's aunties, cousins, nephews & nieces.

I still have to join one of May's singing & dancing half-day cooking classes.

The "Satay" which I loved back in the 90's has dropped off the menu but is still available by special request!

bowburn
bowburn

faultless

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2007

cheap, delicious, fresh, vegan food in a friendly and relaxed environment. Unmissable for any veggie in bangkok

Lek
Lek

Good Times at May Kaidee's

5 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2007

We took the cooking class and ate here almost every time we were in the area. Such a crazy good time. The food is amazing (can't get enough of those banana coconut shakes). The cooking class was completely worth the investment, as we now make delicious food back home. Sap! Sap! (tasty, tasty)

Pros: Menu is nicely laid out, Staff and May Kaidee so friendly, food delicious and well priced
Cons: Simply not enough tables - its that good

a great place

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

The May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant II is a really nice and small restaurant wich propose a large traditional thai dishes in a vegan way. People are really nice... It's a non-smoking area, really quiet (May Kaidee's I is more noisy)with good portions.
extremely recomanded

Dear Owner and Manager of May Kaidee's Vegetarian Restaurant - Samsen:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Bangkok page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/03/05