CLOSED: May Kaidee...

Chiang Mai vegetarian restaurant offering vegan-friendly meals and cooking classes. Reported closed to HappyCow May 2013. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Thai, Take-out
46/32g Ratvithi Rd, Si Phum, Mueang Chiang Mai (1 block north of Ratchawithi Road, near Sumit hotel)
Chiang Mai, Thailand 50200
087-717-5275, 089-112-1162

Open Mon-Sun 9am-8:30pm.

First Review by Agenda
travellust
travellust

Great Food and People

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

The food is fantastic here and the people who run it are warm and friendly. The cooking class is lovely too -- at least the May Kaidee in Bangkok that I took and would assume that this one is great too, since the recipes are the same. Good, healthy, tasty food in a small place but pleasant atmosphere.

Pros: great food, nice people, good place to meet others
KatjaEhrhardt
KatjaEhrhardt

OK-ish

2 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2013

Nothing special, the place is a bit ugly and stuff is not too happy looking, but the food was ok. There are much better places around, like AMU (something like that...). The place in bangkok i liked very much though!

DinaLun
DinaLun

Nice and friendly place

3 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

I'm a little bit confused about negative reviews about this place. There's no dirty inside, the food is ok and the stuff is very friendly. I'm not really excited about the mango smoothie, but pumpkin hummus was great. Don't forget to ask about the spice amount before making your order, because our double decker sandwich was hellishly hot.

Pros: varied menu, nice price, friendly staff
Cons: too spicy, smoothie overwatered
  • agentbey agentbey

Maintain objectivity here. Have you been to the restaurant during the day? The definition of clean can vary from person to person.

So when my arm sticks to the table because it has not been thoroughly cleaned that is considered dirty.

When you see dirty finger prints on the containers. Its considered dirty.

Let's keep our reviews clear and biases of personal likes - separate. Hungry travelers are counting on us to be truthful not nice.

Sawadee Krup!

agentbey
agentbey

Disappointed Vegetarian

2 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

I rarely write a negative review because I want to support all vegetarian efforts wherever I am in the world. However, the intention of this review is to inspire the staff and owners to improve the storefront, ambiance, food quality and service. I read the reviews and thought maybe the people weren't being fair in their reviews. They were absolutely right. Sorry veggies.

I was shocked at how nasty the place looked and the uncaring expressions of the staff. In my view this spot is burnt out and should consider closing their doors to save the company's credibility.

I ate at the Bangkok location and was amazed with the food quality and especially Mai herself. She brings such a light to the environment.

My intention the day I went was to sign up for a cooking class. I'm really sorry to say this but the food was not good at all. My sticky rice and mango was even worst. I just ate the mango. No way I'm taking a class with them. Absolutely NOT.

I am not going to go on further describing my experience. I will plead with the owners and staff that you really consider what is going on with this location. As I said before I think the staff is burnt out and maybe not interested in operating the business in Chiang Mai.

I will NEVER ever eat there again. I sincerely pray that they take the proper action and turn this around.

Cons: Very Dirty, Low Energy
Miggi
Miggi

Bland food, grubby place, bad service

2 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2012

After reading so much about Mai Kaidee cafes and cooking schools in Bangkok and Chiang Mai we were determined to find and try it. We were really disappointed - this was probably the worst place we ate in Chiang Mai!
The place was grubby - tables unwiped, empty napkin-holders and sauce bottles on the tables. We were grunted at by someone behind the counter who didn't get up or show us a menu so we found the menus for ourselves.
When they did come up to the table they did at least know which items were vegan (very useful, as this isn't marked on the menus).
When the food came it really wasn't good. We'd ordered Kao Soi, tempura veg, and indian curry rice with veggie sausage. Everything was really bland and there was no chilli paste or spicy sauce to enliven it. The dip with the tempura had hardly any flavour. There was very little veggie sausage with the rice and most of the vegetable content was made up of cauliflower (and that included a lot of stalk). Presentation was also lacking, for example the chopsticks were bent and looked like they had been used a lot before.
We don't generally leave food at the end of a meal if it's at all enjoyable. It just isn't what we do. But we were so bored of this bland stuff we actually left food on all the plates.
We're not often this negative on Happy Cow but we really don't recommend this place. Even if you are in the area, we would recommend that you walk to a different area before you eat! It's about a 10-minute walk to AUM, for example.
This place needs serious improvement.

Cons: Not clean, bland boring food, poor service
msvegan
msvegan

Better than most but lacking compared to BKK

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2012

I eat at both the May Kaidee's in BKK a lot. So, I was expecting the same quality, but, was disappointed. The prep/quality/taste isnt the same. Still, it is a good (and one of the better options) if you want more westernized pure veg. Thai food in Chang Mai.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 15, 2011

Pros: Good, pure Veg, diverse menu
Cons: pricey on some dishes
foodcircles.org
foodcircles.org

One of the few real vegans in Chiang Mai

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

May Kaidee's was the first vegan I found in Thailand and I regularly go to the CM and the BKK ones. They have Thai comfort food on the menu, green and red curries, salads and soups but also delicious creations such as their pumpkin hummus, their sushi rolls and the spicy eggplant salad, which I all love.
The owners and staff are kind and super quick, a big favorite of mine when I am in Chiang Mai.

Pros: kind staff, vegan, taste
psiphi75
psiphi75

Okay food, but grubby place

3 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2012

The food was okay, not the best. One of the cheapest veg places. But after visiting the toilet and seeing the kitchen... and toilet they were a bit disgusting. Dead cockroaches in the toilet, and kitchen was a mess.

Pros: Average food, Cheap
Cons: Dirty
PeaceOut
PeaceOut

Yummy

5 Posted on 02 / 29 / 2012

Best food we have had in town yet. Salads and sandwiches are my favorites. Yummmy and everything is vegan! Yay!

Pros: vegan, clean, easy to locate
AkashaBertozzi
AkashaBertozzi

looks shabby but great food !!!

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

we eat here a lot, even that its looking shabby the restaurant is great, quick sertvice and very delicious and cheap always. great choice !!!

vegantommasina
vegantommasina

Good but Bangkok one is better

3 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2012

We were happy to eat at a veg place, but honestly the one is Bangkok was much better in terms of flavor and spice. I had my favorite dish, red curry and asked for spicy. It came out not spiced at all. The coconut milk was also strange and not very creamy. I had the same dish in Bangkok and it was much much well-seasoned and fresh tasting. The brown rice portions were much bigger here which was nice though. My partner had the seitan fish and it was actually pretty tasty.

Easy to find location. Next to two Indian places.

Oh, they stop serving at 8:30pm, not 11.

Pros: same affordable price, big rice portion, easy to find
Cons: boring/bland flavor
pradipd
pradipd

Small, Pleasant Restaurant

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

The food was very good, the menu was quite varied. It is a small, pleasant place with very polite service. One of the better vegetarian restaurant in Chiang Mai.

Pros: Value, Food, Location
Veronica01
Veronica01

Very good inexpensive food, with fast service

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2010

We ate here for dinner tonight. First time eating at a vegetarian restaurant in Thailand. They had a large menu with pictures of almost all the dishes so that was helpful and it's in English. Most of the food is around 50 bahts so fairly inexpensive.

We ordered the Tom Yum soup, Papaya salad, Pumpkin hummus and Massaman curry.

All were very good, so much that we want to take one of their cooking classes this week to learn how to make thai flavors for vegan and raw dishes. The coconut rice with mango and banana is good too, I have to say I like the banana more I'm glad they add it because I keep ordering the Khao Nau with mango and its ok but it's not mango season right now.

It's a small restaurant and we drove past it the first time, but it's in between the hair salon and massage studio that are beside the Sumit hotel. I tried the phone number listed but it didn't seem to work.

We'll definitely be back and the chef was very friendly and was telling us all about their cooking classes. You learn 10 dishes with the recipes for about $40 US each. Not bad.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 26, 2010

We just took the 1/2 day vegan cooking class with Mai's sister and it was really fun. There was only my husband and I so we got a private class and ended up making 10 dishes. It was very simple and fun. Do not eat before hand you will be so stuffed from having a huge lunch of all the meals you make. I really love their recipes, so much better than A Taste From Heaven, these are family recipes and very tasty. They even show you how to make their family pumpkin hummus recipe which is delicious!

Pros: inexpensive, tasty and fresh, fast
Cons: small restaurant, can hear cars on street
Alejandra
Alejandra

Delicious vegan food!!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2010

My husband and I traveled to Thailand for 3 weeks. I consider this restaurant the best restaurant of all places we visited including Phuket, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and other cities in the northern Thailang. I am vegan and love tasteful food. I found Mai Kaidee's food delicious, healthy, and cheap for the quality of food. My favorite dishes: Deep fried seeweed and the green vegetable curry. I wish I we could have stayed longer in Chiang Mai in order to enjoy more of this exquisite Thai food. The owner speaks English fluently and her daugther is so adorable talking with customers and waiving good bye to them.
Kab Kun ka!

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Unexpensive
KarolGajda
KarolGajda

Black sticky rice with mango/banana oh my!

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2010

I've been in Chiang Mai for about 10 days now. I live by the Chiang Mai Gate, 2km from May Kaidee's. How often do I walk to May Kaidee's? Sometimes twice/day. Yes, it is that good. Most dishes are 50 Baht, and the family that runs it is just wonderful. This is my second favorite veg restaurant in Chiang Mai. :) I don't give willy-nilly 5 Cow ratings, and if there was a 4.5 option I would give it that, because I'm a stickler. Whatever. I highly recommend you eat here.

Pros: fantastic food, awesome people, great prices
Cons: sometimes it's a little slow moving
Pea
Pea

Good thai dishes

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2009

Delicious food with a few unusual items on the menu. We ate deep fried seaweed, pumpkin 'hummus' with rice, curry soup and amazing black sticky rice with mango and banana. Yum! Nice staff and reasonably priced.

Pros: Cheap, Unusual dishes, Good food
veggievixen
veggievixen

nice thai food

5 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2008

it was the last vegetarian restaurants we tried in our trip to Chiang Mai. their green curry and pumpkin hummus were really delicious. price was similar to other vegetarian restaurants in town. May Kaidee and the staff were very friendly. if i go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai again i'll surely enroll for their cooking class.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Agenda
Agenda

Decent place

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2008

It's decent place with some delicious meals on the menu. Do try their sandwich. The pancakes are better than at Blue Diamond. The service can be slow.

Pros: Some dishes are VERY tasty
Cons: garlic and onion literally everywhere

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: May Kaidee Vegetarian Restaurant: