CLOSED: Mashoor

Primarily Indian sweets and South Indian dishes like dosas, uttapam, and idli. Owner is part Burmese and makes a few authentic Burmese noodle dishes which are not on the menu. Directions: approximately 6 doors from the Indian temple on the same side, on the corner of a driveway/alley. JAN 2014 reported changed to Annapurna, a meat restaurant - Removed. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Burmese

First Review by anis
AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Disappointing visit

2 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

This restaurant is trying to be too many different things and is not making customers a priority, unfortunately. I entered through a door that says "pure vegetarian" to an area with tables for diners, awkwardly filled with what I assume were the restaurater's family/friends, and someone ushered me to an adjoining room which I soon figured out what a non-veg Indian restaurant to which I was handed the menu. I went back to the "vegetarian side" only to be sent back to the other restaurant with a smaller paper vegetarian menu. It was limited and then I was told they didn't have basic items like naan bread. A fellow customer handed me tamarind chutney from his table after he heard the waiter tell me they didn't have it! We did end up getting vegetarian food that was okay, but the menu had limited selections for vegans. On the way out we saw another list of Burmese dishes, which we would have preferred had we known! Overall, lack of service, very confusing experience. I would not recommend other HappyCow users visit, or if you do to be prepared to demand what you want.

Cons: Confusing, Gross stains on walls, Not veg place
Tofulicious
Tofulicious

Worst Meal I Have Ever Had

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2012

This restaurant is now connected to the non-veg 'Annapurna' next door, which is where the owner tried to seat me when he first noticed that I was there (around 10 minutes after I'd arrived). I waited for almost half an hour before anyone came to serve me (and would have left, except I'd unfortunately begun chatting to the only other couple in the restaurant, who claimed to be friends of the owner). The atmosphere was nil, the service between lacklustre and non-existent, so I thought 'Surely the food must be good, since there are customers here!'

The 'utthapam' I ordered (which, at 70 baht, was not cheap) had the texture and flavour of a lump of fried dough; the 'sambar' tasted like a bowl of super-salty brine; and the orange and green 'chutney' both tasted like dessicated coconut with water added. The biggest mystery I've encountered
in my two months in Asia is how this diner, which is surrounded by competing eateries, remains afloat. Would not patronise this venue again if my life depended on it.

Cons: Worst service I've ever encountered, simply TERRIBLE food!, no atmosphere
Harshil
Harshil

Update

2 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2011

We visited Mashoor in late Jan'2011. They have now moved and merged with other restaurant just 2 shops down which serves non vegetarian food. Hence, mashoor is now no longer a pure vegetarian restaurant though owner claims that they have seperate kitchen. The very fact that you see two menus serving vegetarian and non vegetarian food does not give enough comfort. We thought this is important and happy cow should be informed about it.

craigmc
craigmc

two options

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2010

although the sweet shop is next door to chennai kitchen, the restaurant sems to have mobved about ten doors down.
On the same side of the street.
the main menu was north indian curies while the white board had the south indian specials. food was about gbp2 per person, so a bargain. the palak paneer was very good, and had a bit of a bite. the paratha was also very tasty, and the lime pickle was great. overall a good option.

Pros: tasty, north and south cuisine.
rheb
rheb

Friendly place, good food

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2008

They do good dosas, sweets, and lassis here. Friendly service too. It's cheaper than Chennai Kitchen next door, though I would say that Chennai Kitchen is a little better in terms of quality. But it's worth giving both places a try. This place is Burmese/Indian, so they do have Burmese-style noodle dishes on the menu, which is a nice change.

Pros: good food, friendly

anis
anis

Delicious!

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2007

Great South Indian Food, tastes like in India. I loved the idli! Dosa is fine, too, and the upma also convinced me. They have Indian sweets too.

Pros: great food, friendly owner
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Mashoor: