Masa of Echo Park

Serves meat, veg options available. Casual, family friendly atmosphere pizza and Italian food restaurant in the heart of Echo Park. Offers Chicago style deep dish pizza (vegan with Teese Cheese option). Other veg items include veggie sausage panini, veggie chicken panini, veggie pepperoni, vegan & soy cheese, vegan salads, vegan minestrone. All doughs, breads (vegan) baked on-site. See website for its vegan menu. If you adopt a shelter animal and bring in the paperwork you receive 1/2 off your meal. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
1800 W Sunset Blvd (Lemoyne)
Los Angeles, California 90026
213-989-1558

Open Mon-Thur 11am-11pm, Fri 11am-12am, Sat 8am-12am, Sun 8am-11pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Sonja and Dirk
Chia
Chia

Delicious vegan cheese pizza

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2013

Had read about this place on HappyCow a while back and have walked by it a couple times while going to eat at Sage Vegan Cafe just a few doors down. Finally had a chance to try the pizza on 2 occasions. Was just here in February 2013. Here's my Masa of Echo Park review.

It's a casual, family friendly atmosphere restaurant, not fancy or anything. While not purely veg, it does offer vegan cheese and vegan chicken as pizza toppings. The regular menu does not point out the vegan specific items, so ASK for the vegan menu (that's also published on its website).

I knew I wanted to try the vegan Teese Cheese (made by Chicago Soy Company). Twice I got a bistro style pizza rather than a deep dish (maybe next time I will though) with added cherry tomatoes. A good size pizza for 2 adults to share. Price is now around $16-17.

Both times the vegan cheese pizza was delicious. I really liked the Teese cheese on my thin-crust pizza. It has a soft texture and is not greasy (like Daiya cheese gets).

I will return for the deep dish next time.

PS. Masa also offers a soy cheese that contains casein (dairy derivative).

Pros: yummy bistro pizza, vegan Teese cheese, relaxed
welldog
welldog

Good food in a fun part of town

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2012

Get the Veggie-chicken Panini, it is great.

Pros: Veggie-chicken Panini
Cons: Veggie-sausage Panini
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

A fantastic & popular Pizza/Italian restaurant

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2011

We followed recommendations to arrive early on a Saturday due to popularity and we are sure glad we did! There was a huge wait by the time we were done eating. The staff is so friendly and the chef is so accommodating. We had gulten free, oil free people in our party and they made stuff for all of us! The Vegan Deep Dish is too decadent for me, but everyone else enjoyed it. I had gnocchi with marinara sauce and could have eaten two plates!

Pros: gnocchi, pasta, atmosphere
Cons: lots of fat in the deep dish
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Chicago deep dish pizza

3 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2010

We went to Masa's about a month ago for deep dish pizza and since it takes so long to bake, we ordered a thin crust pizza while we waited. Both pizzas were tasty, but the Teese was not melted enough in my opinion. We took some of the deep dish home as leftovers and the slices held together well. Dirk had been to Masa's before with co-workers as there's something for everyone there. We will probably be back the next time we are craving deep dish pizza.

Pros: deep dish pizza
Cons: Teese not completely melted

Dear Owner and Manager of Masa of Echo Park: