Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a full vegan menu featuring veggie patties, falafel, salads, milkshakes and more. Other location on Robie St. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, International, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

QuothTheRaven
QuothTheRaven

Beware!

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

UPDATE: I will NO LONGER trust Mary's as I have now been informed the garlic fries are NOT vegan, the sauce has egg in it even though it is on their vegan menu and I asked the waitress to make sure as it looked like real mayo and I was assured it was vegan. LIES! Never again. Warning to all vegans.

My first impressions when walking into Mary's Place was how homey and warm the diner felt. It fells like you are walking into your grandmother's kitchen. We were greeted immediately by a really friendly lady who also noticed our posters we were carrying from a protest we just attended. She gave words of support and proceeded to answer my questions regarding a vegan menu. She said that they will take care of us and answer any questions. Basically anything they have they can accomodate us and also mentioned they do lots of gluten-free options as well.

When browsing the menu, I noticed many options and one really cool feature was their vegan combo menu listed on the bottom. Three items for 10 dollars and any additions are only 2 dollars extra. For Halifax, that is truly a fantastic deal. Hubby and I both went for combos. Many of the dishes are Indian in orietation. I ordered the garlic potatoes, basmati rice and veggie patty. It arrived promptly and was a good size portion.

The garlic dip was a bit discerning when looking at it but we called over the waitress and she assured us that it was vegan, with no animal ingredients. The food was tasty, filling and satisfying. I loved the potatoes!

We both enjoyed our meal and the pleasant service we received, as well as it being extremely affordable.

Next time I hope they have vegan ice cream in so I can get myself a vegan milkshake. :)
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 02, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 24, 2014

Pros: Inexpensive, Great service
Cons: Lies, Promoting vegan when it's not

Dear Owner and Manager of Mary's Place Cafe II: