Mary Restaurant Vegetariano

One of few totally vegetarian restaurants in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Spacious, bright and breezy with high ceilings. Offers wide variety of food, lots of veggie "meats". All-you-can eat buffet for around 60 pesos (US$6 US). Breakfast 9am-12noon, buffet 1-6pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Hondouras #309 Hotel Paloma del Mar, Planta Baja C
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
322-2235761

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by JennS
Guest
Guest

Nice breakfast at a great price.

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2014

Went here for breakfast the only morning I was in town. They are only open for breakfast and lunch, and I am looking forward to my next trip down so I can try the lunch as well. This is Buffet Style, but some of the food looks more like it came straight from the chef - available for serving in platters rather than the standard buffet style vats. Not that there weren't vats also. But they all had tasty and exciting dishes. The breakfast buffet had 17 items, 5 of which were fruit, 3 breads (2 vegan), and the rest side and entree dishes, including a vegan soy bacon as well as a really tasty and firm vegan soy chilequiles (traditional scramble). I made vegan bagel sandwiches with scramble, bacon, tomato, raw spinach and basil. Wanted to have some of the breakfast potatoes but they had butter - to which the manager apologized profusely and went and had them grill me up a quick vegan potato fry - How's that for service!!
- Another one of those places that I would eat at regularly if it was in my home area. Highly Recommended!

Pros: Lots of Vegan Choices, Least Expensive Veg in PV, Supportive and Accommodating Staff

2 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2012

My guest and I were excited to trek out and try the other veg restaurant in town but were displeased with Mary's. It's a buffet, same style as Planeto Vegetariano but with none of the charm. I'ts lacking in atmosphere (large white room with a few paintings), there's no signs/ingredients over the dishes, and, though I know this isn't fair, just to give readers a heads-up -- there's no English here. As for the food, potatos were nearly raw, tostadas were burnt, not enough vegan options.

Mary Vegetariano -- YUM!!

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2011

Delicious food, VERY inexpensive, lots of variety with fresh vegetables and I cannot stress how delicious everyone was. The staff was very cordial and stayed open a bit later than posted. They served dessert after our dinner, which was like a moist and delicious banana bread or banana cake of sorts. I wish there were a place like this near where I live! If I ever travel again to Puerto Vallarta, I will be sure to visit.

Pros: Very cheap, VERY TASTY!
Cons: Closes rather early (6pm)
  • Bethany1202 Bethany1202

See more detailed review at http://factoidz.com/vegetarian-buffet-comparisons-in-puerto-vallarta-mexico-mary-vegetariano-and-planeta-vegetariano/

Best Vegan Restaurant in Puerta Valarta

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

If you are looking for a totally vegan restaurant in Puerta Vallarta that serves authentic, buffet-style Mexican food on the cheap, this is the place for you. Although not fancy, the food is delicious and very fresh. I had the best refried beans of my life here, and everything else was also excellent. We arrived at the end of breakfast but before lunch (there's a one hour break in-between from 12-1), but the very friendly staff let us hang out and feed our four year old son breakfast while we waited. He ate scrambled tofu and pancakes, both of which were excellent.

For lunch, there was a large, fresh salad bar on one side, and a variety of hot items on the other side. We samples a few mock meat dishes, refried beans, soups and mexican rice (excellent, BTW). There are a large number of sauces and condiments, including home-made guacamole and a dark, roasted chile pepper sauce. I would highly recommend using the sauces, as a few of them are home-made and wonderful, and taste nothing like what we think of as Mexican in the United States. Some are on the hot side, so be careful, but after all... you are in Mexico, so what do you expect? :-)

A few other positives: it's quite clean and spacious, and seats ca. 30 total. Mary's is also kid-friendly, so if you have children with you and they make a little bit of a mess, it will be OK. At the time of this review, the breakfast buffet is ca. $5.00 American and lunch/dinner is ca. $7.00.

The only negative I can think of is that there didn't seem to be any desserts, although there is clearly a piece of cake on their business card, so perhaps we weren't there late enough, or they only serve dessert at dinner time.

We did go to the other vegan/vegetarian restaurant in Puerta Vallarta, Planeta Vegetariana, but we like this one better. All in all, highly recommended. We will definitely be back.

Pros: Large Variety, Clean, Cheap
Cons: Dessert?

Delicious and inexpensive

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2009

I ate at this restaurant twice for dinner while I was on vacation in Puerta Vallarta. It serves 100% lacto-vegetarian Mexican food in a casual setting. You can order the food without cheese, but the servers do not speak much English so you will have to say "no queso, por favor." The food is delicious and incredibly inexpensive. My party of four ate for approximately $10.00! It is closed on Sundays and they serve a buffet on Saturday nights. I would highly recommend this restaurant for delicious, authentic Mexican vegetarian.

Pros: Delicious, Authentic Mexican, Inexpensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Mary Restaurant Vegetariano: