Serves meat, veg options available. Offers some signature vegan dishes (sweet potato quinoa burger, Larry David sandwich, and many Lebanese vegan choices) on the menu. In deli case regular items are vegan galettes, quiches, lasagnas and a variety of desserts, as well as a ton of deli salads. Very busy at lunchtime, so go early or expect a wait. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Lebanese, Take-out, Non-veg
1001 Lake Dr SE (Diamond)
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49506
616-454-4020

Open Mon-Fri 7am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm, closed Sun.

First Review by cringer
VeggieMeggie22
VeggieMeggie22

Vegetarian Favorite!

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2013

This is a delicious place with so many great options! Stop by the deli for some juice or some sandwiches. Or stay and sit for a wonderful experience! :)

Pros: delicious, awesome atmosphere
Cons: sometimes slow
RunningCUTIE
RunningCUTIE

Pleasant surprise!

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2012

We made the trip into Grand Rapids from Grand Haven, where we were staying for a few days. After too many salads, we made the trek into GR for another vegan joint...only to find it closed. We struck out once more before finding Marie Catribs and we were so glad we did! It was a lovely and friendly place--and the food was phenomenal. My husband had the sweet potato and quinoa burger, which he really enjoyed. I had the Handyman, which was absolutely delightful. Great flavor--and they had vegan, gluten free bread (which was clearly homemade)!!! Also had tasty chocolate cookie, which we took to go (we were so full!). We would definitely go back if we were in the area again!

Pros: GOOD vegan/GF bread, Friendly staff, Willingness to accommodate menu items
thechtothead
thechtothead

My go to

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

Marie's is one of the most popular restaurants in Grand Rapids, and for good reason. All of the food that I've had has been fantastic, and the wait staff is always friendly. The whole place has a hip vibe, from the attractive employees to the LEED certified building itself.

This is a perfect place to bring an omni-friend or your vegan comrades.

Everything is clearly marked on the menu, so there is no need to ask which stuff is vegan and what isn't. Their sweet potato quinoa burger is one of my favorite sandwiches in the history of the world.

I also love the deli side, where you can order sandwiches or a number of pre-made salads and other goodies from their deli case. They always have vegan options such as Lebanese Potato salad, a sesame tofu salad, etc. as well as a daily changing selection. I've seen vegan quiche, pasties, and other lovely things.

There are also always fabulous looking baked goods. They are a tad expensive, but huge portions and very delicious. They have vegan selections and are clearly marked.

(Their brunch is also fantastic. My favorite tofu scramble....mmmm)

I would have easily given it 5 stars if allowed to do so.

Pros: Delicious food, attractive and friendly staff
Cons: A tad pricey, but worth it

cookie1908
cookie1908

Good food, better baked goods

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

My husband and I tried Marie Catrib's while we were in Grand Rapids for a quick work trip. We were excited to see that it was not only a restaurant, but also a bakery! My husband ordered the tofu scramble with roasted potatoes and I ordered a dish (forgot the name) that was basically a stack of tortillas, eggs, zucchini, and onions. My dish was excellent, although messy. My husband didn't enjoy his tofu scramble as much as usual, since the tofu wasn't broken up into the "scrambled" look, but rather large chunks of sauteed tofu mixed with veggies. He said it felt more like a lunch/dinner meal. The potatoes were well seasoned and not too greasy. On our last day, we picked up breakfast to go - I ordered the sweet potato pancakes, which were delicious (request honey instead of syrup, you won't be sorry). My husband ordered the vegan stuffed french toast, which he wasn't crazy about because it was stuffed with too much peanut butter and bananas. He would have prefered no peanut butter and maybe another fruit inside. However, the stand out of our trips to Marie Catrib's were the baked goods...we bought a slice of vegan carrot cake that we were almost fighting over! We also got their oatmeal/fruit vegan cookie, which my husband said is the best vegan cookie he's had (and he's tried a lot!). All in all, this was a great find in a cute location. We'll be back if our travels take us to Grand Rapids again.

Pros: Nice atmosphere/location, BAKERY ITEMS!!!
Cons: Tofu scramble not really a scramble
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Integrated Dining Perfected

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

This is one of those places where vegan, vegetarian and meat-eaters can dine and everyone's needs are fully met. That's what I mean by 'integrated'.

The food is outstanding. Everything made from scratch. Service is extraordinary. Fun artwork on the walls. Attached to the dining room is a take-out area with grab-and-go items.

It gets extremely busy on the weekends. Come prepared for a long wait. You can put your name on the list then poke around the neighborhood. There are fun shops just across the street.

tjoom
tjoom

Awesome food

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2012

Great food..had a wonderful burger there made out of sweet potato. Very busy around lunch time.

Pros: Great food
Cons: Small location-gets backed up
conniex721
conniex721

Fun and Tasty

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2011

This was a wonderful eatery! Clearly popular, with lovely decor and delicious food. I got the zucchini soup and a side of grape leaves, along with a coconut pineapple vegan cookie. Everything on the menu is clearly labeled vegan, and the staff is more than happy to help you if you're curious about a certain dish. My mom got the salmon surprise and loved it. I also enjoyed the little deli; I know I'll be running in to grab something for lunch many times! The only strange thing was the server told me they only had one type of vegan dessert left, but when I went to check after dinner there were a few varieties of cookies. Curious, but oh well. Besides that our waiter (Justin) was fantastic, friendly, and helpful. I recommend this place!

Pros: Great Service, Wonderful Decor, Great Options
Cons: Not a full knowledge of desserts
day-mun
day-mun

Welcome home, vegans!

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2010

This place is so amazing, I don't know where to begin! Everything (-and I do mean everything) is made from scratch in-house, using natural and locally grown ingredients. The menu is very organized and all the vegan and gluten-free items are plainly marked, -so there is no guess-work... well, almost no guess-work. The only question that may be raised is whether or not they can take any of the other dishes and whip-up a vegan (or gluten-free) version for you on the spot! This makes the compassionate options nearly limitless!

Upon my first visit, the server was very helpful, had plenty of suggestions (-as I was overwhelmed by the unfolding culinary possibilities) and came off as genuinely invested in my having a pleasant experience; -mission accomplished! (Thanks again, Jessica!)

The vibe of the place is fun and artistic, super-clean, -yet warm and cozy... Everyone there just seemed glad to be there, customers and staff alike. -I just want to hang out and take it all in, but if you've no time to stay, there's a take-out pick-up counter and a little store/deli area where you can grab-it-n-go.

Serving sizes are very generous, and the prices were more than reasonable, -considering that the wonderfully-home-made-wholesome-goodness factor is lovingly worked into every delicious bite taken!

Overall, I must say that I'm delighted with Marie Catrib's. It is a shining beacon of hope for those of us in West Michigan who love to eat kindly and love to eat well!

Updated from previous review on Thursday December 30, 2010
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 30, 2010

Pros: Everything is delicious, The staff will love you like family, excellent value
Cons: nothing, nada, zip
Hapboosmil
Hapboosmil

Decent Vegan Option

3 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2010

This is a decent place to eat if you are going out to lunch with friends who are not vegan or vegetarian. There are a few vegan dishes which are pretty good. I recommend the HandyMan sandwich, which is made with potatoes, avocado, special garlic spread, roasted bell peppers, and extra firm tofu. This is a good option for eating out as a vegan.

Pros: Vegan-friendly, Good Food
Cons: Long Wait at Lunch, Needs better order personalization
prasannarv
prasannarv

Awesome Food and staff

4 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2009

We were on a vacation to grand rapids. After reading other reviews we went to try this out. The food was awesome and the staff very friendly. I was little skeptical given I have two very young kids and who only love the standard fries and pizzas. But my kids loved the food, especially the seasoned potatoes and sweet potato and quinoa sandwich were their favourite. We ended up going again due to my kids request :-) (and they have a very discerning palatte).The staff were very knowledgable about the food and understood that we were vegetarians. On the whole a very positive and awesome experience. I do agree with the other reviewer, please do go early or you would end up having to wait. We did take up the advise (since it is tough to wait with young kids) and went early, so did not not have to wait. But we saw lot of people waiting when we left.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, large portions
Cons: price, wait time (arrive early)
originalpuck
originalpuck

My Favorite Veg Restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2008

While not exclusively vegetarian, Marie's has more vegetarian options than most exclusive veg restaurants. They also are very vegan-friendly, and are more-than willing to take special orders. They also have a fantastic amount of vegan deserts, including cookies, cakes, granolas, and soy beverages.

They have large portions, and a wonderfully friendly staff that will chat with you just as easily about the food as they will about events in a patrons life.

The only downside is that it is a small restaurant, with about thirty-four seats total, and so it does fill up fast -- and the waits can be long and tedious. So get there early, and wear your stretchy pants. ^_~

Pros: tons of choices, large portions, friendly staff
Cons: fills up fast, long waits
erbavore
erbavore

A good little mixed restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

If this place were pure vegetarian, then it would easily get a 4.5+ Cow rating.

This is the hippest place in town. The owner is the sweetest person in the world. This place is ALWAYS busy.
The staff mimics the owner and treat their customers like royalty. All the food is customized so it takes a bit to get to you.

The food is for the likings of most American's. It is bland and doesn't really have any flavor. (if you want flavor, go to Little Africa)

The vegan desserts are usually plentiful and are out of this world. Quality is what they focus on, so a higher price comes along this quality. There must be at least 15 workers at all times with only 30 seats or less.

I wish they would make the veggie food (except the desserts) tastier. If the food was closer to the Chicago Diner in Chicago, then this would be a perfect Veggie hangout, even though they serve meat.
At least 2 of the waitresses are HARDCORE VEGAN. One even has "VEGAN" tattooed on her wrist. Thus they are conscious about not mixing pans for veggie vs meat food.

Pros: Always busy, great atmosphere, Staff, Dessert
Cons: Always busy, 1 hour wait at lunch, Food isn't that tasty, Price
rainsoldier
rainsoldier
  • non-vegetarian

Wonderful

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2008

Marie Catrib's is my favorite breakfast and lunch place for many reasons, the most important of which is the delicious food. The service is always good, and I love that most everything is made from scratch (desserts, jams, soups, breads, etc) and that they "buy local". My one and only complaint is that they raised their prices, so that my favorite sandwich, which before hand was $7, is now nearly $10. So I don't get it nearly as often as I'd like to! Still, prices need to be a little higher than average to off-set the cost of the high quality produce they use, which is Ok with me...

Pros: Great food, Great service, Great selection
Cons: Some things are a bit pricey
cringer
cringer

This is the place I was talking about!

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2007

This place rocks. They are all green with a garden on their roof. They had vegan stuffed French toast on thick huge pieces of raisin cinnamon bread, tofu scramble with onions, sesame seeds, and other yummies. They have tons of vegan cookies, vegan chocolate cherry cake, vegan pasta salads up the wazoo, hummus, tons of stuff. The waiter we had was perfect, it was great. The atmosphere is very cheery and the employees are great. Definitely go here. We accidentally stumbled into this place. What a miracle!

Pros: awesome service, cheap prices, great vegan food
Cons: very busy

A Surperb Surprise

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2007

Wow! I've never heard of it before, but I actually was able to find food for my 'Blood-type 'A'[vegetarian] diet! They even substituted for me. Homemade Rye and other breads.
I'll be back, from Fremont! :)

Pros: Friendly staff, Great selection, Tasty Healthy Food

wonderful!

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2007

Marie's consistently has excellent food with a good variety of choices. Marie is friendly and personable and makes your dining experience more than just a good place to eat.

Dear Owner and Manager of Marie Catrib's: