Maoz Vegetarian - Union Square

Part of the European chain. Small restaurant, mostly take out. Features a salad bar from which you choose toppings for your falafel sandwich. Only 3 stools and a small counter. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Middle Eastern, Take-out
38 Union Square E (between 16th & 17th St)
New York City, New York 10003
212-260-1988

First Review by twinkletoes
HiPB
HiPB

Pickle/Salad Bar Worth the Trip!

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2013

Whenever I come I order a falafel sandwich and then enjoy the amazing variety of pickles, olives, tomatoe salads, and all the other delicious extras on the side. I think the veggies are better than the sandwich!

Pros: Quick, Relatively inexpensive, Taste
KarinaU1
KarinaU1

Best Falafel

3 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

If you're looking for amazing falafel, look no further.

Pros: Delicious, Excellent for on the go
Cons: Not a lot of space to eat-in
VirginiaWong
VirginiaWong

Mao in Time Square

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

I'm so glad Maoz is on Happy Cow. My friends and I came across this on our backpacking journey in NY. So impressed by the quality of 'fast food' presented at Maoz I wrote an entire article about it. Check it out and tell me what you think. And if you haven't visited Maoz check it out especially just before going out on a big night.

Pros: fast, cheap, healthy
Cons: could have more vegan sauces
marturey
marturey

Great falafel!

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2009

I really like the falafel at Maoz. You order your falafel and you add the toppings yourself. The toppings are available from a salad bar like set-up (pickles, broccoli, tabouli, salsa and on and on...). The place is clean and staff are nice. The fries are delicious too and not too greasy. We tried the sweet potato fries as well and they were super. The eggplant is also good and not greasy either. You can also order a falafel salad instead of a sandwich and add the toppings yourself. Juices were also very good. My only complaint is that I saw people eating their falafel and then returning mid-way to add more toppings. That's unsanitary. I think it would be better if the staff dressed the falafel instead of allowing people to do it themselves since some were taking advantage. This is a really great franchise.

Pros: Delicious food, Lots of fresh, healthy toppings, Clean
Cons: Double dippers at salad bar

twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Good, healthy falafel

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2007

Maoz Vegetarian is a falafel chain that hails from Amsterdam. What makes this place great is that they have an awesome salad bar that is all you can eat. The trick is to fill up your falafel with all of the salad goodies or get what they call a salad box and fill up that way. Yes, its pricey for falafel but you get what you pay for. It is way healthier (you can also get whole wheat pita bread that they make in store) and they also have fresh squeezed oj and carrot juice. Biggest con is the line during lunch rushes and that they have no seating. This place is great when the weather is nice and you can eat at the park.

Pros: Healthy food, salad bar, fresh juice
Cons: Small space, No seating or bathroom, Sometimes there's a long line

Dear Owner and Manager of Maoz Vegetarian - Union Square: