CLOSED: Maoz Vegetarian - S...

Part of a chain of international falafel restaurants, originating in Europe. Serves falafel in sandwich or salad with wide selection of toppings from self-serve toppings bar; plus fries and fresh juices. Mostly a take-out place with a few seats inside. Confirmed closed, Aug 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Middle Eastern, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out
248 South St (3rd)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19147
215-625-3500

Open Mon-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat-Sun 11am-3am.

First Review by sifelaver
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Maoz Vegetarian

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2012

I'm a fan of the Maoz chain, so I made sure to stop by both locations during my Philly visit. Obviously they serve a few things, falafel sandwiches and fries. I always get the falafel sandwich and load it with veggies at the little veggie bar. I only recommend that you go during busier times to ensure you're getting fresher ingredients. Also, this location is located in the hip South street area, a great place to grab a quick bite while checking out the area.

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great option for late-night/cheap food/fast

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2012

You probably already know Maoz. If you don't, go to one as soon as you can. This one is in the heart of South Street and open late. There's not much seating, so that's tough when it's raining/snowing, but you get a lot of food for a cheap price, and it's not cheap quality. This is an easy spot to find and great if you're in a hurry. Definitely go here. The Tahini sauce is vegan (the other sauces aren't) and items on the salad bar are quite obvious whether they're vegan or not. The staff is also pretty knowledgeable.

Pros: All-vegetarian, Cheap, Fast
Cons: South Street drunks, Few seats
jon1227
jon1227

Overrated, but not bad

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2011

I've always been told that Maoz is the place to go for great falafel in the city. I was a bit disappointed! I can take it or leave it.

Pros: Salad bar, Affordable, Great fries
Cons: Overrated, Few places to sit

lonevegan
lonevegan

Great Place

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2009

I absolutely love this place. The food is great and very reasonable especially for South Street. I always get food from there and take it into Larry's because eveyone I go to South Street always wants to eat out on the patio at Larry's.

Pros: excellent food, good value
Cons: very small, confusing at first
thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

Awesome. can't wait until you're in my home town.

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2009

I've only been here once, I was visiting from out of town, this place is great. The best vegan falafel I have ever had, it was great. Everything is vegetarian and it is easy to figure out the vegan options, the cook pointed out the vegan toppings and explained how things went for a out of towner. I loved this place. Is it perfect... no, but for a very filling meal that I can not feel bad about, I haven't done better yet. I wanted to order another one as soon as I was done but restrained myself when I was told that they are going to open a Maoz in Seattle, you can bet I'll be getting my veggie falafel fix there as soon as it opens. They have a great assortment of veggies, some of the people were just ordering from the salad bar and I can see why. I wish they had a better selection of drinks that were healthier, but they do have fresh juices so it's not all bad. Ok, it's not exactly health food, but for us veggies it is not a bad thing to splurge every once in a while and if you are feeling like a great meal that you will respect yourself for, hit this place up, seriously.

Pros: lots of vegan options, character, friendly, groovy staff
Cons: small dining area, a little dirty
cleve315
cleve315

Best Falafel

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

Very small. Very European. Very good. Best falafel I've had. I like hole in the wall joints like this that focus on quality, individually prepared foods rather than atmosphere and average food. Falafel and Belgian fries prepared before your very eyes. The sauces you can put on your falafel are amazing, especially the mango curry (vegan). You'll have to ask what sauces and topping are vegan. The also have fresh squeezed juices and that's a good thing. People that spend more money on food than average, probably don't want a 2 liter of Coke to wash down their gourmet falafel and fries. Makes sense huh. My only complaint? This place is small and that's OK, but when I went there was only one worker...he toasted the pita, dropped the falafel and fries in the fryer and served as cashier. I just don't think cashiers should be food preparers or visa versa. I realize that would mean extra staff in such a small restaurant, but hey gotta do it. One more complaint - no bathroom. I like to wash my hands before I eat...no luck at Maoz. Mega chains like McDonalds and Burger King do some things right. The food there sucks, but they have segregated duties and generally clean bathrooms. The air conditioner in this place was caked up with years worth of dirty and grime. Just glad it wasn't hot outside and that air conditioner wasn't blowing. I know it sounds like I'm bashing this place, but I loved the food...it was just some of the extra things or lack thereof that concerned me. Cheers.

Pros: Gourmet Falafel, Unique Sauces, fresh Squeeezed Juices
Cons: Small, Kinda Dirty, No Bathroom
meganrascal
meganrascal

Soooo Goooood

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2008

The best falafel I've ever had! And the fried eggplant is amazing. The salad/toppings bar is really great, I'm partial to the cauliflower. I love Maoz and now they have a new location on Walnut street near 11th. It's true that there's almost no seating at the South street location but there's plenty of seating at the new one on Walnut.

Pros: Great food, Very friendly staff, Good location
Cons: Cramped, Limited seating
beautiful_sky
beautiful_sky

best falafel ever!

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2007

Their falafel is amazing, but the bar of do-your-own condiments puts it at top notch! The only downside is the fact that the place is too small when it's really crowded.

Pros: incredible food, friendly staff, condiments
Cons: small space
foodiefoodfood
foodiefoodfood

Great in context

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2007

Keeping in mind that this is a tiny little fast food joint that only serves one thing plus fries, I really like this place. Where else can I get cabbage with my falafel (reminds me of Eastern Europe)? I like that they have bottled beverages and a toppings bar. Of course, getting in, getting food, and getting out of this miniscule eatery can be an adventure, but it's great for once in a while. The falafel itself is much better than that of any of the food trucks on Temple's campus.

Pros: honest tea, toppings bar, late hours
Cons: tiny place
letsjustbreathe
letsjustbreathe

not bad

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2007

I lived in Egypt for 5 months and the falafel was a main staple in my diet. Finding falafels in America that compare to the ones over there is sometimes hard, but I thought Maoz's really weren't bad. I went there last night (on a Sunday) and it was PACKED. it's a very small place, so don't bring a large party. I got a small falafel meal (falafel sandwich, fries, and a drink) and it was around $7. the falafel tasted fresh and the eggplant was amazing. I felt very rushed, the staff was kind of "blah" and the location of the salad bar isn't good (I had to reach through people in the line to try to pile on my toppings). oh, and they're cash only.

Pros: good food
Cons: tiny space, cash only
veggielissa
veggielissa

Not Bad ...Not amazing

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2007

I'm not crazy about falafel but i do enjoy a good on. I agree w/ a previos poster that the sandwich was dry w/out the sauces. The fries were good and the staff was cordial. if ur strolling south street and want a quik veg bite. come here. if u have ore time on ur hands go somewhere else.

Pros: fast service, nice staff, delicious fries
Cons: a little dry, scarce seating
myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Something to Dream About...

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2007

My mouth waters when I think of their falafal and eggplant sandwiches. I live in New Jersey and a trip down there for the sandwich alone is worth the haul.

sifelaver
sifelaver

Not bad

Posted on 04 / 26 / 2007

Maoz is not bad. For the price, it's a good value -- last I checked a small falafel sandwich was under $3 including tax -- and you can pile on as much of the salad bar as you like. However, the falafel is a little on the dry side. I've tried just about all of the falafel in the city and I lean towards Mama's or Pita Pocket as the best. One last comment about Moaz: They are open late night, as a good vegan alternative to Lorenzos Pizza across the street.

Pros: inexpensive, open late, good value
Cons: dry falafel, not the tastiest in town, very limited seating
Guest
Guest

Mmm Falafel

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

I am a bit of a falafel snob. While the falafel at Maoz vegetarain is pretty good, it's a little dry without the sauces that they offer at the end of the all you can eat toppings bar (tahini is vegan, garlic sauce I believe is yogurt based). When I go I usually order the small sandwich (1 small pita bread stuffed with 3 falafel balls, a large is the same with 5 falafel balls) so that I can stuff it with the delicious goodness on the toppings bar. The toppings are hit or miss, my favorite is the fried cauliflower (like my grandma used to make) but the 'tabouli' they have is little more than over-glorifed green cous-cous. It stinks that it's so small, there really isn't space for you to sit and enjoy your falfel, they have maybe a eight stools and 1 two person table. Basically, it's average falafel I get to go when I'm starving.

Pros: Cheap, Fast, Good toppings Bar
Cons: Small, Crowded, Dry falafel
  • Unk Unk

I've been to every Maoz on the planet...but this one CLOSED before I got there.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Maoz Vegetarian - South St: