Maoz Vegetarian

Part of an international franchise falafel fast food chain. Has self-service salad and toppings bar. Standing room only. Location is south of the River Gauche, at metro Saint-Michel towards Notre Dame, 2nd street to the right. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Salad bar, Fast food, Middle Eastern, Take-out
8, Rue Xavier Privas
Paris, France 75005

Open Sun-Wed 11am-11pm, Thur-Sat 11am-2am.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by MBermingham
Kaari
Kaari

Maoz Vegetarian

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2014

Delicious! I absolutely love falafels so this place is my favorite to stop by for a quick lunch.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Convenient location
Cons: Small, not a lot of seats
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Amazing Frites

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2013

The falafel and frites were just the ticket after a long morning of sightseeing. We ate here multiple times during our short stay in Paris. It was the least expensive meal we had, and one of the most filling. The salad bar offered a variety of toppings that really enhanced the flavor. The seating was a bit cramped, but otherwise I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a fast and inexpensive meal.

Pros: tasty, quick, inexpensive
Cons: limited seating
vikavegan
vikavegan

One of my favorites in Paris

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

I come to Maoz quite often, and it's always a good impression. Great idea for the free salad bar, tasty falafels with choice of adding humus or aubergine. Possibility to have whole grain bread. It's a street food, but the price is cheap, the quality is top. At times the place may seem to be a bit small, but it was never an issue for me. No doubts, five stars.

Pros: price, good service, tasty
Cons: small place
mina.aphrodosia
mina.aphrodosia

Great Place for a quick snack next to Notre-Dame

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

We bought falafels here for a quick lunch after visiting the cathedral. The location is perfect. Tiny place with very good falafel. We asked for vegan sauces and toppings and the manager was very nice and helpful. The service girl was not too friendly though. She looked like she just hated all these vegan tourists coming in, or maybe she just dislikes the manager, who we think was her older brother.
Anyway, the food was very good. Note: the hot sauce ist HOT (me likey, but don't say I didn't warn you!)
The place is too small for eating in, so we took our food down to the river and ate there, which is a wonderful place. Top!

Pros: Great Food, Location
Cons: Waitress hates customers
Tofuschnecke
Tofuschnecke

Quick bite

3 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

The Falafel is tasty (even though not as good as in my favorite places), the fries are ok. The salad bar is not very extensive but it's still nice to build your own Sandwich and it makes the service very fast. However, it doesn't make it more hygienic. The venue could be cleaner and overall nicer.

Pros: Tasty, Convenient location, Good value for Paris
Cons: Very small, Not very clean
SG213
SG213

Old reliable

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2013

This is the original Maoz in Paris that has been around a while. It's still just a very small space but offers the super-tasty Maoz experience with the DIY salad bar and great falafel.

Unlike the Amsterdam branches, you can get the meal-deal here for a reasonable price and enjoy a drink and french fries with your falafel. One slight problem if you can get a seat to eat-in is that it's a bit tricky eating the fries, since there didn't seem to be the cone-holders or a tray to place your food on. Also, there were one or two toppings missing like Cauliflower which seem to be in some other Maoz (the available toppings are delicious though).

These are just minor quibbles though, you can't really go wrong here but it is certainly more pleasant when not very crowded.

Pros: Clean + Super tasty, Meal-deals are good value, Central location
Cons: Small space, can get crowded, Some salad toppings missing
drewwarner
drewwarner

very excellent falafel

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

Quick, easy and affordable. The menu is simple so your language barrier won't matter that much. And since you build your own falafel you have final say over your ingredients.

They have some very good sauces. Try the red hot sauce if you like spicy stuff.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 17, 2013

Pros: affordable, customizable, delicious
Cons: lacks variety, limited sitting space
beegantravels
beegantravels

My Favorite in Paris

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

Of the four times I ate out during my three day stay in Paris, twice was at this little shop. During both visits, the staff was friendly and my food was prepared quickly. Also, this was the cheapest vegan food I found in Paris. For €8.20 I had a falafel sandwich with fries and a drink. It might not have been the best falafel I've ever had, but it certainly wasn't bad and I loved the fresh salad toppings. Also, this place was relatively easy to find and pretty well located in my opinion.

Pros: friendly staff, quick, fresh salads
absentimental
absentimental

Best vegetarian fastfood I've ever had!

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

My boyfriend and I spent five days in Paris, and during our visit we ate at this restaurant three times. Not only is the food delicious - this is also a good alternative when you have to get something to eat really fast! We were served within 5 minutes every time.
The staff were helpful and pleasant to us, very service-minded. A tip if you're having the falafel in pita - start by eating the filling apart from the pita. Since there's a free salad bar you'll get to re-fill your pita as many times as you like.
Only cons are the almost non-existent seating (a maximum of 15 seats) and there are no toilets either.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 01, 2013

Pros: Delicious!, Pleasant staff, Centrally situated
Cons: Not much seating, No toilets
Mariannes
Mariannes

A little bit disappointed but still quite good

3 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

Having recently been to the Maoz in London which is fantastic and has so many good salads to stuff your whole grain falafel with, I must say that I was a bit disappointed when I went to Maoz in Paris. The falafels themselves are still very good, but the saladbar was a bit so so - I especially missed the cabbage-salads that you get in London and in the Marais quarter...

Pros: Great and lots of falafels, Whole grain bread, Lovely hummus
Cons: Not very interesting saladbar
ALB
ALB

Great cheap fast food when on the move

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

These chains are fantastic for Vegans, vegetarians and anyone who likes falafels, hummous, salads, fries etc.I have regularly eaten at this one whenever in Paris (two in St Germain) and was pleased to see one in Amsterdam and now in London, too. Paris is expensive so this is a great find when you want to eat well. There is often a tiny seated area if you prefer not to eat on the move.

Pros: Great food, and wide range of salads, Chain found in several European cities, Cheap
Notre-Dame
Notre-Dame

A good address

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2013

This is not the best Falafel sandwich in Paris, but it's very good anyway.
You can even choose the vegetables you want and refill at will.
A good quality / price ratio.

Pros: Yummy, Good Value, All you can eat Salad bar
Cons: Small Place, Not organic, Non very friendly
wyrd
wyrd

The usual Maoz: convenient and good

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

I've been to this Maoz twice last week. You get what you usually get in every Maoz (I've eaten in different Maozs in New York, Barcelona, Madrid, and London): a lot of food for a honest price.
The second time there was no hoummus in the felafel pitta, though.

The plase is really small and in winter it could be unpleasant to eat outside, and there is no toilet.

Pros: Huge portions, Low price, Good felafels
Cons: No toilet
robguz
robguz

Convenient and yummy

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

I tend to avoid fried food because it grosses me out when they use the same fryer to fry animals or things with egg or dairy. Fortunately, did not have to worry about that here. We ended up going here 3 times in 2 days because it was conveniently located and just plain good. I guess it felt a little pricey, but Paris is pricey and it was in a prime location. French fries were ok. The pile it on yourself bar was awesome. Have never had a falafel stuffed full of so many things.

Pros: Convenient, Made fresh, Nearly all vegan
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Best falafel ever

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2012

Maoz has 2 stores in Paris which are near each other and located in the Quatier Latin, so it's easy to get there. Both are very small and there are few seats, depending on the weather it will be very cold inside because it is all open.
It is self service, but they make all the falafel fresh after your order, you just put the vegetables and topping on it. Almost everything is vegan, but unfortunately there is only 1 vegan sauce.
The food is really delicious, a bit pricy for fast food but defentily okay for Paris.

Pros: delicious, vegan choices, fresh
Cons: not comfy
Tigra220
Tigra220

Yummy, hot, fresh falafel

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

I know it's Paris, but I was looking forward to Maoz's falafel for months, and they didn't disappoint. As my title states, my falafel sandwich was hot, fresh, and delish. The french fries were equally yum. Many toppings from which to choose and they kept saying, "all u can eat." However, I was stuffed from my initial monster-filled sammie. It's true that the place is small, but this is a falafel joint, catered to the grab & go crowd. I was pleased with my experience and will definitely return.

Pros: Delicious, quick falafel & fries, inexpensive
runsten
runsten

Used to love this place

2 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

I went to this place several times every week when I was a student in Paris ten years ago.

However, I guess I got too old for this place. I tried it in Madrid, Barcelona and Amsterdam. They do have great falafels but in none of the places have been visited it seems really clean.

I still love their falafels but too often you will not find a table to sit down at and there are a lot of people waiting for there falafels.

Why not go to a Lebanese restaurant instead???

Pros: great falafel
Cons: no place to sit down and eat, clean?, choice of salad got less
Alyson
Alyson

Fine for snack lunch

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

Was in Paris for the first time and found this place as we wandered around, using Google search on maps. Very small and limited amount of seating, so we took ours to eat by the Seine, which meant we couldn't keep topping up teh falafels with more salad and sauces as those who stood at the outlet did. Fine for a quick snack/lunch, vegan options, and reasonably priced. Prefer not to have a take-away because of the throw-away packaging though but it was the best option for where we were at the time.

Pros: vegan , reasonable price, quick and easy
Cons: limited space, non-recylable packaging
meghnaj
meghnaj

good falafel

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

always a good option for vegetarians
yummy falafel in pita bread

Pros: cheap, nice falafel
Cons: small restraurant with few seats
vegsdnjoms
vegsdnjoms

Good Fallafel on-the-go

4 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2011

we can pretty much agree with the others. Food quality is very good, very small place though, but in the centre of the tourist attractions.

Pros: creative fallafel, good food
Cons: moderate pricing
msvegan
msvegan

Delicious. Best vegan fast food in Paris

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2011

I think the reviews above pretty much say it all. They have delicious fresh healthy food.

I suggest loading up on the salad and getting you food to take away. This local is just a couple of blocks from the Seine and Nortre Dame and its better people watching and seating near the river.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan options, Healthy clean food
Cons: Limited seating
TofuCelt
TofuCelt

Cheap and quick

3 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

We went here once on our recent visit to Paris. We also went to the other Moaz twice very near by which is the better one because the staff were much nicer and it was a bit cleaner. The other one is also in a slightly more lively area. However, if you want more seating, it's best to go for this one. There are about 3 or 4 very small tables here. There are only about 6 'bar stools' in the other. For those of you familiar with Moaz, you know what to expect. It's much the same all over the world I think. But for those of us, like me, who do not have them in my local city (Baile Átha Cliath), they may need a bit of explaining. Basically they are a fast food falafel (chick-pea balls in pitta bread) place. You can order either a Moaz meal (Falafel, Chips and drink) for about €8, which is great as Paris is an extremely expensive city. Or you can order just one of the above. There is not much else. The Falafel itself comes with hummous and a selection of veggies which you choose yourself from the salad bar....as much as you want to add....and sauces - garlic, mayo, tomato sauce, etc. They are good proportions also.

Pros: Cheap....for Paris, Fast, Friendly
Cons: No variety, A slight bit unclean, A bit cool
VeganTex
VeganTex

Maoz

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

This place was a savior....very close to Notre Dame and other tourist spots. Vegan options available.

Ilinx
Ilinx

Nice little falafel takeout

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2010

Maoz is a small take-out restaurant that serves falafel (a bit dry to my tastes) with an large choice and unlimited quantity of vegetables and sauces. It features only a few tables to sit, so expect to have to go enjoy your sandwich by the Seine.

Pros: vegan in a not very veg-friendly place, unlimited veggies, good value
Cons: little place to sit down, not-so-healthy
estefinparis
estefinparis

Tasty veg take-away

3 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2010

Maoz is probably not the healthiest choice for vegs but their falafel sandwiches and salads are definitely a tasty option at an almost unbeatable price. This one is located in a very touristy spot and is great to take-out and eat next to the Seine river.

DonnaC
DonnaC

Fantastic falafel

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

Great falafel, the best I've ever tasted and very good value in such an expensive city.

Pros: Very tasty, Good value, open late
chrystanthem
chrystanthem

only so-so, but ok for a quick lunch

3 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

ok place to grab a quick bite, but the salad container is too small/you don't get room for much salad in the pitta... The falafel is good; a tiny bit too much cumin though. otherwise good service.

Pros: quick
Cons: no sitting, too little salad
Tiedo000
Tiedo000

Snackbar

2 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2010

This place may be good in summer, but as it is really nothing more than a small vegetarian snackbar, you shouldn't go here for a meal when it is cold: if you are lucky and one of the three tables is free, you still may be freezing, because the doors are open (in fact, there are no doors).

Henley
Henley

Good, reliable and affordable

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

After a few not so good experiences with vego restaurants in Paris, Maoz became our fave.

At least we knew what we could expect, and we weren't paying top prices for average food.

Pros: Reliable quality, Good prices, Quick service
Cons: Cramped seating, Not enough of them, no cheese
beitme
beitme

Great spot for vegans on budget

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

I went here a few times while in Paris. The prices are remarkably low considering other options in the city. The staff is nice and they seem to care more about the food than other Maoz places I ate at in Europe; the food was much better here. The servings are a bit awkward to eat - they basically give you a pita in a napkin, and you fill it up with condiments as you see fit; there's no dish or tray to put the food on. The place is really small, so you may have to eat outside. Otherwise recommended, especially if your vegan.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, great value
Cons: tiny location
lavachefolle
lavachefolle

Fast, delicious, mostly vegan

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2009

Maoz Vegetarian has a great location right off of Place St. Michel and is relatively cheap, fast and delicious. Virtually all of their toppings are vegan and they have decent sandwiches and salads. Sandwiches work by you choosing a base (hummus, falafel or eggplant + lettuce) then you have free reign to add as many toppings as you want. (toppings include a wide range of vegetables and the most important... tahini sauce! Expect to spend around 5-7 euros in all.

The woman who most frequently works there is friendly and helpful and I seriously love this place, even if it can be a fattening meal. (They have salad options if you're concerned). Downside is that it really is a fast food place, thus very little in the way of seating (3 stools facing bar and a small table.) But that doesn't keep me away!

Pros: Vegan options!, tasty, fast
Cons: Slightly fattening, not much sitting space / very fast-food
hack_man
hack_man

Ultimate Fast Food

4 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2009

Falafel is awesome and this place makes great falafel. A superb concept, you ask for a small or large falafel sandwich with optional humous or aubergine and then pile on as much fresh salad as you can cram in (pickles, carrots, chilli sauce, coriander sauce, beetroot, lettuce, gherkins, olives etc). We did this place 4 times during a week in Paris and saved a lot of money in the process. A good tip is to take your sandwich to the park over the road from the Notre Dame with a few cans from the supermarket and enjoy yourself at a bargain price. Marvelous Maoz!

Pros: price, salads
kylesf411
kylesf411

Get it to go

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2009

The food is awesome. Just get the falafel and fill it with all the fixings your heart desires. I was so happy that they sold fries too. I have never been to a restaurant that sold the two best foods (falafel and fries) in the world in one place. The seating is extremely limited so get it to go. We took our food over to the Seine and had a lovely river-side lunch.

Pros: Great Food, Cheap
Cons: Busy, Limited Seating
zetetic
zetetic

• herbivore

The best veg meal in town, at the best price

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2008

This is my favorite restaurant. For just 4 euros, you can get flavorful falafel and as many delicious toppings as you can squeeze into your pita. the only down side is the lack of seating and all of the people crowding around the salad bar. i haven't been more satisfied with any other restaurant since moving to Paris.

Pros: delicious, cheap, healthy
Cons: very little seating
Miggi
Miggi

Popular Falafel Bar

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

Handy if you are going to Notre Dame, this is a small falafel bar. It is clearly popular as it was very busy. Most people get take-away. There are lots of meat-eaters take-away places in this area and most of the others were quiet while people queued at Maoz - good to see!
The falafels are tasty, good crunchy ones, and you help yourself to salad, sauces etc. There's a good range of salads and unusual toppings. The eat-in area is very small and gets crowded quickly. We got a table then struggled to get out when we'd finished!
We didn't have any problems with the food - surprised at some other reviews claiming it was greasy etc.

Pros: Falafels, Cheap, Quick
Cons: Eat-in area is tiny
fakejazzz
fakejazzz

not the best maoz of the lot

3 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2008

after going to maoz in madrid paris and barcelona on my journeys , they are your best value and bang for your euro, some things that are diffrent, in paris iam not sure if it is just me but the falafels are much smaller and not as greasy which to me is a good thing in barcelona i often couldnt eat the amount given to me since i was so full not a bad thing either. some of you that have been to the barcelna one might notices that there are no forks to eat with that they have at the barcelona chain, also no gaucamolie is offered at this chain just hummus but they do have eggplant you can add and also heat up the pita for you . my fave thing about the barcelona chain is the cous cous and the sweet potatoes at the salad bar . at any rate this is your best bargin and chepest meal ate here about 5 times mostly being disssapointed by the veggie places not being worth the price .

Pros: cheap , fast
Cons: no small mini forks , no cous cous sweet potatoes in salad bar, just hummus option not gaucamolie
gigi1033
gigi1033

yuck

2 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2008

there was a hair in my 9 euro, small portioned, unappetizing salad. the place was cramped. there were only sleazy men in there. we saw many other maoz's around europe because it so obviously was a fast food chain, and we daren't go back.

Tayo
Tayo

Little Athens - Latin Quarter

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

My favorite Paris district. Decent make-your-own falafel. There was no lettuce. Good price and friendly staff. Fast service. It would be nice if they would recycle (many customer's plastic bottles).

Pros: open late, great location
Cons: no recycle bin
lilmammal
lilmammal

Cheap n' Easy - a hard to find combo in Paris

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

Near the Notre Dame cathedral in one of the busy, narrow alley streets. Fast food falafel and hummus pitas. Has bar of items to dress up your pita pocket with including veggies (mmmm sourkraut) and condiments. Nowhere to sit inside the restaurant but great for a to-go dish to enjoy beside the Seine. Your pocketbook and your stomach will thank you.

Pros: cheap, fast, location
Cons: no sit in area
vegan girl 24
vegan girl 24

probably my favorite standby in paris

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2008

man i love this place. if i am ever feeling in need of a meal i can count on, this is the place i go. fries, a drink, and a delicious refillable falafel sandwich for 7 euro. amazing in paris!
the salad bar is ridiculous-fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, olives, beets, etc., all with delicious spices. it is a very solid meal.
and as the place is extremely close to notre dame, i highly recommend piling your pita super high with veggies, taking it to go (they will wrap it up for you), and sitting in front of notre dame for dinner. one of my favorite paris moments.

Pros: filling and cheap
Iris_5
Iris_5

great food, just a bit greasy

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2008

I went there twice, and I liked it alot, the falafel was reasonably priced, the staff was friendly, and spoke a little bit english. Sadly my stomach didnt jar with the falafel, because i am not used to deep-fried food. The sauces were really delicious!! Fast and healthy food

Olive
Olive

Good for take away

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2008

It's good food (if you like falafels), and cheap (especially for Paris).
There is a large choice of things you can add inside your falafel.
Good if you need to take away.

Pros: good food, cheap
noah
noah

wow

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2008

sauerkraut on a falafel. who would of ever guessed that. this was my daily staple in paris. it was decently priced for being in paris. 7 euro for a meal (which is on the cheap, even though the dollar sucks at the moment) it is small, and is probably best for take away, but being alone, i was always able to find a seat, and was very pleased with my food. and the workers were willing to speak english, which i found to be a big plus.

Pros: sauerkraut, easy, fast
MandyR
MandyR

Yummy Yummy Yummy

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2007

The place was small and difficult to find in a small alley (located by some great little shops). Once found, the food was delicious in a very meat centric Paris, but the eating area was extremely limited.

matteo
matteo

fair enough

3 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2007

If you're hungry and don't wanna spend a lot, you go there. Falafel is ok, not excellent, big variety of "fill it up" veggies, basically all vegan stuff. In a good, central and nice area, unfortunately their falafel is not that great.

Miru
Miru

Good cheap food!

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2006

Yummy little falafel place right near the St. Michel metro stop and Notre Dame. Paris gets expensive and it's nice to duck in for a cheap & tasty meal. A large falafel sandwich w/fries & drink is only 6,50 Euros. Plus you can load up the sandwiches all you want from the fixins bar. Definitely worth a stop or two.

Pros: Great value, Good food
MBermingham
MBermingham

• non-vegetarian

Essential for Lunch

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2006

We ate here twice in three days and only failed to make it 3/3/ because we didn't have enough time to grab a parting falafel-filled pitta before our train left for London! Tasty falafel, good salad selection, quick, cheap and filling. If you have never been to Maoz before try it out. There is just about room to sit down but it is designed more as a take-away place.

Pros: Tasty, Mostly vegan, Cheap and filling
Cons: Not much seating

Dear Owner and Manager of Maoz Vegetarian: