CLOSED: Maoz - Mayor

Falafel bar with self-service salad bar. Mostly takeaway. Nearest Metro is Sol. Reported temporarily closed. Please update HappyCow of changes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Middle Eastern, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by louis
shivanandt
shivanandt

It's closed

3 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

I visited this place on 14/15 October 2012 and found it closed. It appears that it has closed permanently.

lady_linzi
lady_linzi

Yay for Maoz!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

This place was a gem; being vegan and not having a huge travel budget we were so glad to find Maoz! I think we ended up going back three times. It's really good value, 6 or 7 euros for a huge falafel, chips and a drink (soft drink or beer). The salad is all fresh and good and you can apparently re-fill your pitta bread with it as many times as you want, however this is a challenge I would not be able to meet! We always left here feeling totally stuffed. Seating is limited and it can get really busy but it's open all day and evening which is great. Very friendly service too!

Pros: REALLY yummy!, Very cheap, Open all day until midnight or so
Cons: Not enough seats!
enrico scotti
enrico scotti

always a sandy shore in a open ocean

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2011

as usual at maoz a vegan could be happy: falafel rules!
Quick service, big portion and quite cheap price.
Go there if you want a fast vegan food break and if you're not looking for a romantic location!

Pros: food, price, close to city centre
Cons: very small enviroment
c4f3b4b3
c4f3b4b3

Good vegetarian fastfood!

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2011

I really enjoyed my humous and feta falafel, even more so when I realised I could have it in wholemeal pita bread. The accompanied buffer featured tasty things such as guacamole, olive paste, peppers, tabouleh, fried cauliflower and cucumber/tomato salad. The yoghurt dressing was nice and light. The atmosphere was friendly and the staff was very chatty and lively.

Pros: Tasty food, friendly staff, healthy options
ladybugs323
ladybugs323

Worth trying

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2011

Staff members spoke English.

Pros: Quick service, good food, reasonable prices
Cons: This is a very crowded restaurant so it
VeganAtheist
VeganAtheist

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

The Maoz sandwich was fantastic. You can add tahini sauce along with any of the ingredients from the salad bar. The fries were very good. The price was reasonable. The salad comes with unlimited refills of your choice of ingredients from the salad bar. There was only one or two things in the salad bar that were not vegan.

Pros: price, fast service, excellent food
Cons: limited seating, small menu
andrewdupre
andrewdupre

Best Veg Deal in Town By A Mile

5 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

Maoz has been my sidekick and savior in a difficult battle to stay veg in Madrid.

For those that don't know, it is a chain restaraunt with about 10 locations in Europe, US, and Australia. It serves either a salad bar or falafal pita wraps. The service is like a Subway or Quizznos in the US - you pick from about 20 items to add. There is nice variety including straight veggies, coleslaw, Indian onion sauces, olive patte, blended carrots, and similar. They have yogurt and tahini sauces. They also serve fries.

You can refill your salad bowl or pita wrap unlimited times - it really is all you can eat without any fuss.

The price is astonishingly cheap - 4.20 euro for a pita wrap with three big falafal balls, filled with salad fixings as many times as you like. You can add guacomole or cheeze for a euro more, but there really isn't much reason to. Drinks are between 1 to 2 euro for soda, water, or non-alcohol beer.

The food is genuinely good. I've tried falafal probably 20 times in the city and never beat it yet. It really makes it painful to buy at a doner kebab (normal turkish fast food joints) when I'm away from Madrid.

This location is right off Sol and thus very small. There is only room to seat about 10 and it can get pretty packed. You also have to watch your bags because Sol is ground zero for pickpockets in Madrid.

The staff is fine and always does a good job of moving big lines very fast. There is no other service to speak of. The place is clean, though the bathrooms could use some tlc. They speak some English and also respond well to pointing at the items.

I've been in Madrid quite a while (and Spain even longer), and this is still my favorite veg place to eat in the city. But if you want to be sure to be able to sit down and prefer to serve yourself from the salad bar, you're better off going to the location off of Gran Via. That one is not open all the time though - this one (Sol) is.

Pros: Fantastically Cheap, All-u-can-eat, Always fresh and good
Cons: sometimes very crowded
Flick27
Flick27

Very good, very cheap food!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2010

We couldn't find this place the first day (its not just off Plaza Mayor, but on Calle Mayor, just of Puerto del Sol), then it was closed next day cos of the strike.
Did go here eventually and was very good food. And cheap.

I would like to mention though, that when we could find the place, we did come across another falafel bar just down the road from here, on Calle Mayor, called Pitta and company. It did sell meat too, but it was pretty much like Moaz but with I think more salad choice. 4.5 euros gets you falafel in pitta and free salad bar. There was an option for no pitta, but with chips for I think the same price(?). Had loads of seats inside to sit down. Lots of women eating alone in here, which as a woman who travels a lot on her own, is very comforting!
Maybe I shoudn't be recommending another place to eat, but theres already loads of good reviews for Moaz!

Pros: Very cheap, Good food, Feels healthy
Cons: Can't sit down
gradjanin7
gradjanin7

excellent, maoz-style

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2010

I've already been to their Barcelona place so I came with expectations. They were met. The place is a bit tiny but it's practically a take-out restaurant, and it's not the only Maoz in Madrid. The falafel was great, the add-on vegs were great, everything was Maoz-standard. :)

Pros: falafels, falafels, falafels
Jemima
Jemima

Tasty falafel

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

Just a few shops down on Calle Mayor as you get out at Sol metro off Plaza Mayor. Small shop that gets very full, mostly with tourists, when I was there. Seating is laid out as efficiently as possible in the space there is but it was cramped at lunchtime. Definitely a place to get it in you and go.

The lunch deals were pretty much the same as Maoz in London. A difference was that refills from the all you can eat salad bar had to be done by the counter server instead of self serve like in London. This probably made for a more hygienic salad bar however it also ensured that you'd never get a refill in that scrum. The fried cauliflower was especially good. Also the falafel was probably the third best I've ever had out - pretty high praise. If they had just been crunchier they would have been perfect to me. As it was they were pretty damn good. The meal deals make for hearty fills and I was sated after one round.

Service was very friendly with the chap behind the counter offering me complementary falafel while I was waiting for my order. Pace of service was quite relaxed. Contrast to the London Maoz where it is really brisk and brusque.

Value was fine at under €10 for the meal deal with falafel roll, salad and beverage.

Solid place to get your fill, even if you do have to sit on a fire hydrant or something in front of the shop to eat it.

Pros: Food, good value, convenient location
Cons: Can be lacking in space
kympatterson
kympatterson

Great fast food place

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2010

This place offers tasty vege fast food in the form of falafel and a small salad bar. I found it perfect for a quick, easy meal in Madrid. I also ate in several of the vege restaurants around town and found this place was tasty and easy when I needed something quick and reasonably priced to eat. The falafel was fresh and the salad bar offered several options, including tasty chick peas and tomatoes and onions, which added up to a pretty filing snack or dinner. The staff were friendly and the three menu options were easy to follow. Overall, it offers a good fast food option for veges in Madrid.

Pros: Tasty, Easy/fast, Central
Cons: Limited menu
fmortel
fmortel

very good, friendly staff

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2009

Good place to go in Madrid for a quick meal. Very good falafel. We went here twice during our visit, once very late at night and the food was still fresh and very good.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Maoz how it should be

3 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2009

Thank you to the review below who let us know that they fill up your Pita for you so its not all contaminated by germs like in Barcelona. My only request is that they drop the oil, it seems all but two fillings are coated with oil making this incredibly unhealthy.

Pros: they fill your pita, not buffet, decent seating
Cons: oily mess
kathyv181
kathyv181

Maoz like you know it

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2009

Maoz is a franchise and you note it. This Maoz is like any other you might find. You can stuff yourself for 7 Euros with french fries, a Maoz (falafel in a pita with additional sauces and stuffing you can chooose) and something to drink. That will keep you full for almost all throughout the day. That is pretty much the variety: to choose the stuffing with your falafal.

Aside from only 2-3 stuffings the rest is vegan, so it is a handy take away for vegans as well!

It is definitely a take away. They have some chairs and tables so you can sit there and have your lunch, but it not cosy or very nice, it is convenient.

Pros: cheap, good and filling, almost all vegan
Midori
Midori

Cheap, easy, and good

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

We have Maoz in Philadelphia, so I went to Spain wanting to try new things, thinking of Maoz only as an emergency back-up. It turns out that, in Madrid, an emergency back-up is extremely necessary! Maoz has good, cheap, vegetarian and vegan food, and doesn't close between lunch and Spanish dinner (American bedtime). Many other restaurants didn't open for dinner until nine or nine thirty. Ouch. The falafel is decent, and the toppings are great. I love the fried cauliflower. Fries are good, too. This Maoz has bar seating (which is better than in Barcelona, where the whole thing is open to La Rambla, basically a food stand), and, like all others as far as I know, is non-smoking. It is right in the middle of Madrid, near Plaza del Sol, which makes it useful as an anytime stop during a day of sight-seeing.

Pros: price, hours, food
Cons: lack of variety, lack of tables
Guest
Guest

I love it!

4 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2008

I live in Madrid right now and I love this place. The people working speak english (which for me is frustrating when I'm trying to practice Spanish and they don't let me, but what can you do?) The meal deal is good...plenty of food, at least for me (but I'm kind of small) and costs 6.90 euros, or you can get salad or something else. This one is really easy to find if you just take the metro to sol, it's visible from the plaza on one of the corners.

blanca
blanca

• non-vegetarian

Good food terrible service

2 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

We just got back from the maoz store at calle mayor, Madrid, Spain.
We used to go as often as once a week, but the staff they have is very rude and unhelpful.
We still like the food and were willing to deal with the unfriendliness every now and then, but not anymore. We went to buy some take away falafel, When we got our order we checked everything and realized that the pitas were cut in 4, we did not like this and told them that what we wanted to do is make falafel sandwichs out the whole thing --as we told them when we began ordering--. We were told that pita is always cut when sold with salad, not cut when sold as falafel. They refused to sell pitas uncut.
One of the guys called the boss and talked for a couple of minutes, we were told that the boss would call back, and that they may let us talk to the boss. We were pretty fed up with the whole senseless thing of cut uncut pita so we asked for a refund and got it.
Why would they prefer to refund a full order rather than sell an extra pita???????

Pros: Good falafel
Cons: terrible service
helenmono
helenmono

Big snack!!

4 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2008

Maoz is perfect for lunch. The set meal of falafel pitta with a cone of 'proper' chips (fries) and a drink is a bargain at 6.50 and is extremely filling due to the large portion. You can choose what you want to go on the pitta from the well stocked salad bar. Excellent!

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Large portions
Caryne
Caryne

Best vegan food in Madrid

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

Well, after three visits to Madrid and always failing to find a decent meal, I was really pleased to find these cheap, tasty and really filling felafels in such a central place. Salad selection is great (especially the chick pea one) and even some organic decent beer.

Pros: Really tasty felafels, Great Salad, Cheap
Cons: Not much if you don't like felafels!!, Not a very large seating area , Can get busy later in the evening
louis
louis

Maoz

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2008

Centrally located. Great value tasty fast food. Currently 6.50 euro for pitta stuffed with hoummous, falafel and free choice from salad bar, fries and drink. Carrots and the fried cauliflower particularly nice.

Pros: cheap, tasty, central

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Maoz - Mayor: