Maoz Falafel - Muntplein

Maoz is part of a mostly vegan, falafel fast food chain. From the Central Station, take tram 4, 9, 16, 24 or 25, and get off at the Muntplein, walk towards the Muntplein, MAOZ is located on the left side of the square. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Take-out
Muntplein 1 (between the Amstel and the Reguliersbreestraat)
Amsterdam, Netherlands
020-4207435

Open winter 11.00-01.00, summer 11.00-02.00.

First Review by Stevie
flormadel
flormadel

What a Let Down!

1 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

Having tried numerous Maoz locations in the U.S. and Spain, Maoz in Amsterdam (both Muntplein and Damrak) is an incredible downgrade! The service SUCKS (biggest difference) and the toppings are completely simple compared to the delicious toppings you can find in other locations in the world. That said, it is still a good place to go if you are a hungry drunk vegan. Other than the fact that you can fill up on tasteless vegetables, it is not any better than a smaller kebab shop.

Pros: all-you-can-eat, open til late
Cons: not much flavor, service is bad
hack_man
hack_man

Fast Friendly Feed

3 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

The Maoz concept is well known & simple just don't be too greedy, respect .....and everyone's happy. Can be a bit of hustle & bustle at busy times but the well-behaved hungry Dutch crowd wait their turn. I've given up on Maoz in Barcelona because of people pushing in, going back for refills & double dipping but the Amsterdam ones including this one are well organised and the staff keep a nice handle on things. Freshly made falafel is such a treat.

Pros: fresh, lots of salad, value
Cons: small service area
Amy1274
Amy1274

Reliable chain

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

Similar to other Maoz - good value, high quality felafel and salad, with plenty of vegan options (dairy sauces are labelled, and the aubergine is NOT vegan, but nearly all the salad is). The only downside is a lack of seating, because this place is so popular.

Pros: portion size, quality, vegan choice
Zinnia N
Zinnia N

Falafel by any other name?

3 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2012

I'm surprised that people get so excited about this place because there are a million other shawarma/falafel joints in Amsterdam serving basically the same thing for 2 Euro cheaper! BUT I guess the positive of Maoz is that it's ALL vegetarian, unlimited filling, and there is a whole-wheat bread option (although it's still "fast food," I don't expect that it's 100% whole wheat). The salads are very yummy. It is more expensive than generic falafel- but you can get your money's worth from that unlimited salad bar I guess!

Pros: unlimited delicious salads, nutrition facts online, location
Cons: pricier than other falafel, no atmosphere, no seating
anna900
anna900

FAB!

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

We went to a couple of these whilst in Amsterdam. I think the first one was Muntplein but can't be too sure but I suppose they're all much of a muchness.
If you want something cheap, tasty and filling then I'd highly recommend it. For 5 euros we had falafel, hummous and flatbread and then helped ourselves to the unlimited salad, which also included couscous, pickles and sauces. Fab to grab and eat on the move or you can sit in if there's room (very limited space). Most of the food is vegan. All of it is vegetarian.
I wish they had these where I live!

Pros: delcious, filling, unlimited salad
Cons: none
Oxygene
Oxygene

Perfect falafels

3 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2011

Maoz is a chain of falafel snacks.
They are really well-made, not too dry. You must choose your ingredient to fill your bread with falafels.

Pros: Falafels, Price
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Surprisingly good.

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2010

Wow, I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was. We were thinking this looked a little 'hood' at first, but it was late (1AM) so we decided to give this chain a try. I got the falafel hummus sandwich and added all the condiments I wanted (i.e. grilled green pepper, olives, tomatoes, spicy tomato sauce, etc.). It was very good and was reasonably priced ($5 Euros). It's great that this place is open late and it's also located on a very happening street in Amsterdam. Give it a try if you want food fast in a happening area. I also recommend going to the french fry place next door (just order them from there rather than Maoz - they only sell french fries so they're vegetarian by default) you won't be disappointed. +1 cow for being in a happening area and open very late!

veganpagan
veganpagan

mostly vegan?

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

didn't know that it was only mostly vegan. this restaurant is said to be vegan on a website i found it on. anyway, good grub so anytime youre in amsterdam, go ahead and visit. only downside is they don't have seating..proper seating anyway.

Pros: the grub, mostly vegan, lots of em in amsterdam
Cons: the seating is minimal, its really far!
beitme
beitme

not too good

2 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2010

This place wasn't nearly as good as the one I went to in Paris. The one in Rotterdam was slightly better also. I went here a few times for a late night meal. The guy working didn't at all seem to care about his job or the food, as those in Paris did. They don't pit the olives here. The quality of the food is at "fast-food" standards. If your use to the cheap n quick way of eating out, and your a vegy, then sure stop by and grab a bite, especially if everything else is closed. I can't say I recommend this place though.

Pros: open late
Cons: bland establishment
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

great for a quick bite!

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

i went to maoz for a quick bite while in amsterdam and enjoyed my falafel very much. there are many toppings to choose from in a nice little salad bar type area. i loaded my fallafal and hummus sandwich with toppings and a couple of their sauces. good if you just need a fast place to eat.

seebelowblog
seebelowblog

awesome street food

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2009

a vegan's dream come true. Try the carrot salad ... try it all. Everything there is great. I wish I had one of these where I live.

Pros: healthy, good value, a vacation highlight
Alex82
Alex82

Very fast service

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2009

Fantastic takeaway offering healthy food with a wide choice of salad to go with your falafel.

Pros: Good Value, Quick service, lovely food
Georgina
Georgina

Great little take-out

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2009

Basic choice of falafel in white or brown pitta, hummus, fries, salad. You can also have a salad box. Once they've cooked the falafel you're given it in the pitta with lettuce only and you add the extra salad bits/sauces you want. A couple of cute stall and bar to watch the street outside but not a sit-down place - but not sure which road it was, may not be the Muntplein one. Great for what it is and glad to hear it's a chain as you know what you're getting and it's good cheap fast vegan food.

Pros: Cheap, Good location, Good food/choice
Cons: Take-out so no loos
gisaster25
gisaster25

Always delicious!

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

Every time I go to Amsterdam I eat at Maoz. I think the one near Central Station is closed, but there are several other locations that are all good. I just get a large falafel and load it up with salad bar goodies. A tip: add the sauce first so it trickles down to the bottom of the pita. The creamy garlic sauce is my favourite. It's inevitable you'll get sauce/food on your face, things will fall from your pita. It's part of the experience!

Pros: Delicious!, Cheap!, Filling!
Cons: A bit messy but soo worth it
laurasmith215
laurasmith215

Fantastic veggie food!!!!

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2007

We had a 4 day break in Amsterdam and didn't look any further for our lunches after we found Maoz. The falafel pittas were absolutely delicious available with hummus, aubergine, feta and many other additional fillings. You then fill up your pitta from the self-service salad bar which has a fantastic selection of salads, dips as well as olives, gherkins and chillies.
We would highly recommend it to any veggie or non-veggie food lovers who want a decent value delicious lunch on the go.

Ajay
Ajay

Good & cheap

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2007

The place has the perfect location. I hit it several times in/out of Centraal. The owner's actually Indian, and speaks English. The falafels weren't extraordinary, but it's a fast-food place; what can you expect?

ampallang
ampallang

busy food

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2007

They are just the same as all Maoz, though due to there location they are quite busy. The staff are quite nice.. but won't put hummus on fries, even if you are willing to pay extra... but other than that a nice vibe

Pros: fast food, nice salad bar, accessible
Cons: no hummus on fries!!!
Begonia
Begonia

Greatly appreciated!

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

Had a stopover in Amsterdam a few days ago with very little time between flights Having read good previous reviews of this restaurant, I decided to try it out and was very glad I did. The man who served me wasn't all that friendly, but he was efficient and guided me to the choice I wanted... It wasn't crowded, lunch period was just starting. I ordered falafel in whole wheat peta bread (it's good to know that option is available), hummus (which was slightly extra) and a good choice of salad fixings, entirely vegan, for 4.10 Euros, if I remember correctly. It was very filling, tasty and nourishing, a real lifesaver, as it was impossible to have anything vegan on the flight beforehand and very difficult on the long flight afterwards. (That's another story!)

Pros: Fresh vegan ingredients, nourishing, filling, tasty, good value
Cons: Not all that friendly
Stevie
Stevie

Maoz, Centraal station, Amsterdam

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

Maoz is a top outfit. Simple short menu on offer of either falafel sandwiches or chips (call them french fries if you prefer). After that it is serve yourself at the salad bar with some delicious dips and sauces among the offerings. Almost all is vegan. I've rarely seen better fast food offerings. Great value for money.

Pros: Tasty food, Valur for money, Convenient location

Dear Owner and Manager of Maoz Falafel - Muntplein: