Mantras Veggie Cafe and Tea...

Local restaurant serving fusion cuisine and some raw food. Current location with is pet friendly area with ample parking. Reported re-opened to HappyCow Feb 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Caribbean, Costa Rican, Raw, Take-out, Delivery
200 este de la Rotonda del Farolito (Barrio Escalante)
San Jose, Costa Rica
2253-6715

Open Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm, Sat 8:30am-3pm.

First Review by ticavegana
Missha
Missha

Excellent food!

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

We had the crispy chicken salad and a vegan burger and both dishes were absolutely delicious!
Staff is very friendly, food is excellent and very reasonably priced. This is a must when in San José!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, lovely atmosphere
aisawesome
aisawesome

so good!

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

Came here on our one and only day in San Jose. My friend and I both got the yogi bowl, it was huge and so good! the milkshakes are HEAVEN!!! Orange and cream!!! ohmygosh. It's been 2 years since I've been here but I am still dreaming about it.

Catfo
Catfo

What a gem!

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2012

We were totally amazed by the deliciousness of the food we ate here! We ordered two of the daily specials (the vegetarian lasagna and the flauta (an enchilada filled with squash, yucca, avocadoes with a delicious salsa) and both were exquisite and huge! All the daily specials were accompanied by a huge salad and a little plate with 3 types of incredible dressing (tahini, avocado/cilantro, and honey). My husband took the yogi bowl and it was AMAZING. We ordered to green juices that were just delicious! The mango/maracuya vegan pie was excellent, but the chocolate cake and organic ice cream were a bit disappointing. The terrace is really nice and we just LOVED this place!

Pros: Amazing food (not average, DELICIOUS), Lots of vegan (and even some raw) option, Delicious green juices
Cons: Some deserts were disappointing
Longina
Longina

Fantastic Meal Every Time

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

I've been a customer at Mantras for a while now, and they never disappoint. I can honestly say that every single meal and drink I've ever had here has been amazing. A total treat to the senses. My boyfriend who is not a vegetarian is also a big fan. The specials are always great and you can't miss with the A La Carte menu. Every dish comes with a small salad with fresh dressings made with local ingredients. The cas dressing is one I particularly love and was a great surprise the first time I tried it. The menu is quite diverse, with veggie, vegan and raw vegan options. I find their menu to be the most balanced out of all vegetarian places in the area, with meals having lots of vegetables and protein and not solely relying on grains. The service has always been excellent, with friendly staff. They are now moving to a larger location nearby that will be pet-friendly.

Pros: Variety, Excellent Food, Friendly Staff
pablocollier
pablocollier

Absolutely the best!

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

THis is the very best vegetarian restaurant in Costa Rica. I have lived here 13 years. Excellent!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 06, 2010
Continues to WOW the patrons. We are regulars here!! July 2011. February 2012- will convert any meat-eater!!!

Updated from previous review on Monday July 25, 2011

Pros: very clean, friendly staff, great desserts
Cons: sometimes is hard to find a table!
  • Sarah P Sarah P

I wish I could have eaten here today- I found the restaurant but it was closed for the holidays. Bummer. How cute it was part of a yoga studio as well. It was easy to find.

lord vegan
lord vegan

i can't get enough of this place!

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

mantras is by far my favorite all-around veggie restaurant in costa rica! i love going in there and getting the best service from an outstanding staff. there portion sizes are perfect, there prices are affordable, and it's conveniently located. i have nothing but positive things to say about mantras and i will continue to promote them, as i feel a sense of community everytime i go in there!

Pros: healthy food, friendly staff, good value
Cons: hours
veganaperu
veganaperu

Yummy vegan fare, friendly staff, daily specials!

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2012

Mantras is the kind of place I LOVE to find when traveling- it's all vegetarian, with a HUGE focus on healthy vegan offerings. It's priced in the same range as the burgers at Vishnu, and it's far healthier and fresher! Their smoothies are a great value, too. The staff is really fantastic- the owners (a couple) are always there and are really friendly and attentive. I've been in so many times, I've befriended them :) I highly recommend this place for lunch! Go earlier to be able to pick from the whole specials board.

Pros: taste, value, healthiness
Cons: no dinner
martinezcjuanfco
martinezcjuanfco

Original and Delicious

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

I'm a vegetarian for 10 years and am very happy with the Mantra restaurant that makes a difference to your menu, your care, environment and quality of their food. For shows that not only eat lettuce but there are many recipes full of flavor, color, texture and satisfy the palate.

Pros: Menu, Ambient, Service
ancel
ancel

excellent food, good service, friendly, stylish

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2009

Just returned from dinner at Mantras, it was our first visit there. Highly recommend a visit! The restaurant is bright, open and fresh and the menu is varied and interesting with plenty to choose from with several platos del dia too. The juice drinks are wonderful, very fresh! The raw deserts are delicious and each dish is filling and very healthy, you can feel the energy from your plate! Friendly service, felt very welcome and immediately at home. It'll be a regular stop on trips to San Jose!

Pros: delicious, fresh, hearty
Cons: -, -, -
AnandaBabaji
AnandaBabaji

• raw

Vegan and RAW food in San Jose

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

Great vegetarian food... wonderful staff and very clean cafe. they are adding more raw food options but at present the raw specials are on wednesday... the raw pizza is rawesome! and available every day. Great salads and smoothies as well! Worth a visit if in Costa Rica! I'm heading over now...

Pros: friendly, clean, tasty
schavez
schavez

The most amazing food

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2009

I recently ate at Mantras and had the best Mexican food ever. It was Mexican Week there and I had the enchiladas and chiles rellenos. Wow. I am originally from Mexico and know what how to distinguish great Mexican food. I will definitely come back and try more.

The staff was great. Very friendly.

Place was very clean.

Pros: Excellent Food, Unique tasting food, Friendly Staff
ticavegana
ticavegana

Great place

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2009

I really enjoy visit Mantras, really clean, the personnel are very kind, and the food delicious!!!, have many vegan options, or you can make it vegan, also the raw options looks great!, I defintly will back

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, clean place

Dear Owner and Manager of Mantras Veggie Cafe and Tea House: