London vegan restaurant operating since 1966. The menu is seasonal with daily specials and a weekly Sunday roast. Also available are organic cakes from its own bakery. Gluten free options. Full liquor license with a large vegan and organic wine list. Price range moderate to more for main dinner entrees. Non-smoking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, International, Western, Bakery, Beer/Wine, Catering
4 Erskine Rd, Primrose Hill (Regent's Park Rd)
North West London, England NW3
020-77228028
Closed now

Tue-Fri 6:30pm-10:30pm, Sat 6:00pm-10:30pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Sun 6:30pm-10:00pm

First Review by Marsglobe
IkoOo
IkoOo

Average..

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2014

Been there once for lunch during the week. I liked the mixed greens (containing Kale this day) but the bean taco did not leave me any strong memories.
I also have to say that the menu is not appealing (you cannot really figure what you are going to eat and it is not well described on the menu).
The service is very friendly and smiling though
I would probably go back for dinner to give it a second try, but not my priority.

Bananarama
Bananarama

Lovely Meal

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2014

I had such a good meal here; firstly, the whole menu is vegan so there's no deciphering what you can or can't eat, second the staff are so friendly and helpful, Michelle was our waitress and she was patient enough with me to help me pick a meal that suited my preference (high carb low fat) I got a bowl of spaghetti with two extra child's portions which filled me up nicely, it tasted fantastic too. I was also treated to a little birthday biscuit and chocolate selection with a candle on top and the chocolates were hands down the best vegan chocolate I've had. We were the last to leave the restaurant and felt in no way rushed out, the staff all said goodbye and I was left feeling completely satisfied. will definitely return to this lovely place. Thank you.

Pros: Welcoming, friendly atmosphere and staff, Delicious food, lovely location
Cons: not so cheap butyou get what you pay for
nojvegan
nojvegan

closed in afternoon

Posted on 10 / 11 / 2014

Looks like a great place to eat unfortunately it was closing when we arived on Saturday afternoon. Oddly the waitress didn't know of any other vegan restaraunts and was just wanted us to go away. (the place was still full of diners so could have perhaps spared a minute)

Kyttiara
Kyttiara

Great food experience!

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

I was so excited to try this place! I though they still had brunch but the waitress explained us it didn't work so well so they stopped but anyway, after a quick look at the menu, I wanted to try it all!

I went for the vegan gluten-free(!!!) onion rings, with the best batter I've ever had, seriously.
The raw pad thai was okay as well, not so my thing but still good. My BF had pasta with Vegan meatballs was okay, not so original but good cooked. The waitress was just so nice, so friendly, very attentive. The place is super lovely! I definitely recommend it!!!

Pros: raw and GF options, delicious food, cosy, nice place, lovely waiters
Cons: a bit pricey
Tiggy
Tiggy

Food good but on the expensive side

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

We came to manna with high expectations, having read a lot of hype. Sure enough, when we got there, the place had a pleasant atmosphere, a little less casual than some places, with napkins to drape across your lap (or whatever else you do with them). We were attended to quickly and I ordered the mezze plate and a sweet lassi. For my taste the lassi was not really thick enough. As a starter we shared the tempura vegetables, which were delicious in themselves but unfortunately accompanied by chili jam (too sweet for me) and a tamari-type sauce (too salty/sharp), both of which are not my thing. We also ordered the home-made organic bread, which I found nice but a bit on the dry side. The mezze platter was huge, and after the starter I struggled to finish it (but did). All the components of this were good and had an interesting array of complementary flavours. The falafel were crisp on the outside and perhaps a bit soft on the inside, but I didn't find this unpleasant. Delicious vegan vanilla ice cream finished the meal off nicely, as we wanted dessert but nothing too rich. This place is a bit on the pricey side and, while it's good, I'm not sure the price is quite matches by the quality. It might be a nice place to go for dinner occasionally with people visiting from out of town, rather than regularly.

Pros: Pleasant ambience
Cons: A bit on the pricey side
pinkbunny
pinkbunny

amazing

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

Have been there twice, always good service and excellent food. However it is pricey so I can only afford it on very special occasions. Lovely wine too!

Pros: vegan, delicious
hack_man
hack_man

A Sublime Pleasure

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

Set in idyllic Primrose Hill, it was a pleasure to finally come here after reading and fantasising so much about it. Let's get straight to the food. Starters were cashew nut and jalapeno cheese croquettes. Verdict, awesome. We had two main courses. An outrageously delicious and sublimely presented grilled vegetable and chipotle tofu kebab with black bean and green pepper taquitos served with salsa and a salad dressed with vegan sour cream. The other main course was a crazily tasty Lebanese mezze platter with hummus, falafel, peppers and various dips and sauces. To finish, the cheescake of the day to share was just outstanding. An exceptional choice in London worthy of a place in my Happy Cow top 10!!

Pros: food, relaxed staff, location
GiraffeGirl
GiraffeGirl

Delicious!

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2014

Lovely food!
We had the nachos to share to start which were lovely, the cashew nut cheese intrigued me and was very nice. I had the chef's salad and my partner had the stuffed polenta & wild mushroom ragu - both of which were varied and delicious. For dessert we shared the peanut butter cheese cake with chocolate ice-cream which was also yum!

It's quite an expensive place - mains are around £14 and desserts £8 but all the food was so fresh and beautifully prepared and presented. I would definitely go again.

Pros: tasty, good range of mains & dessert, very pleasant staff
Cons: quite expensive, could be a little noisy
Conor.harrington
Conor.harrington

One of the best Vegan eats in London

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2014

Great tasting food and big portion sizes. Fine dining experience which can seem expensive but is good value for money and a nice treat for a Vegan restaurant. Drinks were definitely overpriced. Bangers and mash and nachos starter were both standout.

Pros: friendly staff, nice atmosphere, delicious, well prepared food
Cons: Some items overpriced
JonJon
JonJon

Amazing!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

Manna Cuisine is definitely the best restaurant we've done in London. 100% vegan, it offers an excellent fine cuisine, associated with big portions. In absolute terms, it is relatively pricey, but considering their food quality and the place, it is very fair.

We took an Indian thali which was great, a vegan bangers, a burger and hummus as a starter, and we were definitely too full to take a dessert (but they looks delicious on the other tables).

The place has a very nice atmosphere and the whole experience was great!

Pros: excellent food with big portions, fine cuisine, nice place and atmosphere
Cons: a little pricey, but fair for food quality
elrujo
elrujo

VEGAN CLASSY PLACE

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

if u r looking for a nice a bit on the classy side type of vegan restaurant then this is the one to go

good setting and has some great dishes to serve

Pros: great location
Cons: small portions and so pricy
thesoulution
thesoulution

Manna! Don't You Wanna?!?

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2014

Amazing! That one word sums up the whole experience here. Such a fun & cute neighborhood it's in. The service was amazing. We ordered the jalapeño cashew cheese croquettes for a starter & mmm mmm mmm it was delish! The ranch that's served with it really steps the flavor up a notch. I was so excited before dining here when I seen their menu online & noticed they had bangers & mash VEGAN style. This is a very popular traditional English dish that's heavy on the sausage & casein infested products so when I seen they had a vegan rendition I was excited. It was delicious the "sausage" was my favorite part. I still think about that dish. My boyfriend ordered the mushroom Ragu & polenta & he said it was delicious. I was nibbling off of his plate & definitely agreed. Overall, we left here very satisfied.

Pros: Delicious food, Attentive Service, Fun Location
Ajolote
Ajolote

are you a foodie in London? come to Manna, quickly!

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

I made a reservation for one person at Manna for a Wednesday evening and was promptly seated at a great little table with great courtesy. The restaurant is small and cozy and it feels like you are seating at someone's dining room. The friendly waiter immediately offered me water and proceeded to read me the chef's specials. I chose a tart and main courses that were in the specials menu . OMG, what a great decision! The tart was flaky and I felt that I was eating a tuna pie without the fishy flavor. Then, came a tower of potatoes, a wild rice patty and a rucola and broccoli salad on top. All on a bed of a bell pepper sauce and flanked by a corn ratatouille. Heavenly tasty! The dessert list was wide and encouraging, so I ordered sticky toffee pudding and a capuccino. Everything was as delicious as it was beautiful. They offer a 5-course dinner for £40, which is a steal for London.

Pros: service, presentation, all vegan
Cons: small menu
caramelbunny
caramelbunny

xmas divine

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

They know how to make vegan food truly special. I had the Christmas dinner and it was divine, the risotto is the best I had so far. I got mince pies to take away, also delicious. Beautiful atmosphere and friendly staff. Well worth the price.

Pros: best vegan food ever, creative and healthy, many gluten free options
Cons: none
millavinilla
millavinilla

In Love

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

Loved, loved my meal here. Such a great menu and it's so wonderful that it's all vegan. Staff was really friendly. Really enjoyed the special which was a beetroot risotto. Also thoroughly enjoyed the icecream cookie cake and that they serve almond milk with the coffee. Already planning our next visit!

Pros: All vegan!, Extensive menu, Friendly service/accepts bookings
gen6
gen6

Amazing!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

Visited manna as a special treat, and it was very special! I loved each course, each as fresh and well-flavoured as the last. Looking forward to visiting again, well worth the money

KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Sublime

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

This food is as good as New York's finest vegan restaurants. My partner ordered four starters instead of a main - garlic greens, hummus and bread, crispy tofu and mash with gravy - these were all amazing. I had the bangers and mash with greens which was incredible - the sausages tasted very gourmet. It was topped with onion rings which were great. We had fresh mocktails which were delicious. So good!

For dessert my partner had peanut butter custard topped with chocolate and caramel sauce which was divine. I had the semi-freddo which was the the BEST DESSERT ever! It was ice cream mixed with chocolate chips and cookies - so, so, so good.

Expensive but worth it! Great service.

Pros: Amazing food, All vegan
MelissaMouse
MelissaMouse

You Must Go!

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

The food here was fantastic I cannot recommend it enough.

I went alone last time I was in London. I felt relaxed and found the staff genuinely helpful and friendly when asked for advice.

The price of food is fairly high for my budget but I went as a special treat as there a few vegan or vegetarian restaurants where I live. It is NOT expensive as the food was worth every penny.

What a treat to go somewhere and not to have to dissect the menu or skip dessert. I had 3 courses (bread to start) and a hot cinnamon drink and the bill was just over £40.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Everything
Steffi Giraffe
Steffi Giraffe

Blown away

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

I was literally amazed the first time I visited Manna. Everything was perfect. Everything was delicious and it seemed incredible that it was vegan. I had a white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake that was faultless. The same thing happened the next time I visited, though the last time was a bit of a let down after the previous two visits (only in the dessert area - the only chocolatey option was a not very chocolatey brownie with a strange consistency).

I think this restaurant leads the way for vegan cuisine. I am disappointed not to be able to go more often but I cannot justify going because of the price. It is the most expensive vegetarian/vegan restaurant and despite its top quality food I don't know if it should be quite that pricey.

It truly is something special though.

Pros: Incredible, innovative vegan food, Nice location, Menu is updated regularly
Cons: Very expensive
shirleene
shirleene

I want to be more positive

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

I generally try and focus on the positives for reviews. There are not many vegan options out there and it's good to support places that provide for us.
So the good points for Manna include a good location, great ambience and a wide menu. There are not any other five star vegan or vegetarian places in London.

For the negatives, I went on what must have been the hottest day of the English year and had to ask for water. We then got two glasses which were not replenished at any point. We had to get up and help ourselves at the bar. Not great. The food was interesting and creative. i could be wrong but the croquettes seemed a bit pre-prepared. The desert portions were also extremely small for the price.

We ate the croquettes, the carribean platter and special of the day, which was a nice tofu dish. We got deserts to take away bit had to ask for a plastic bag to carry the containers.

Overall. manna is set up the nicest of any vegan place in London. It has an interesting menu and can be great. I write these criticisms not to detract from its good points but to let the restaurant know that they do ask a reasonable price for their experience. It probably needs to make sure service matches this.

ELyzab
ELyzab

Lovely

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

My friend booked a table of thirteen for my baby shower.

Pros: great food, nice people, no rush
Cons: pricey
lachat
lachat

Delicious vegan food & friendly staff

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

Great delicious vegan food, including amazing desserts! It is expensive but its worth it! The staff was very friendly, making us feel welcome & comfortable.

Pros: Delicious food, Great desserts, Friendly staff
Cons: Annoying 'elevator-style' music
AlessandroPalmesi
AlessandroPalmesi

Wonderful Vegan Restaurant!

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2013

We had 1 shared starter, 1 shared main course, two sides and two fantastic deserts: Vegan cheescake with coconut and passion fruit, raw cake with cahews and choccolat . Not a cheap restaurant, but very good value considering the quality (26 pound each, for us).
Also available a wide selection of organic and vegan wine.
Delicious food, very well presented. Good portion size.

Very friendly service.
All the menù is vegan.
Excellent place for romantic dinners.

Pros: Food Quality , Service , Food Presentation
Cons: Prices
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Great meal.

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

I had not been to Manna in years before yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent, with generous portions, and we were able to have a very relaxed meal over several hours. The staff were pleasant and gluten free options were clearly marked on the menu. However it remains as expensive as ever. I will certainly be trying to go back sooner this time.

Pros: Good food., Good portions., Pleasant atmosphere.
Cons: Expensive.
lady_linzi
lady_linzi

Nice but I don't think I'd go back.

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2012

Went on a Saturday night with a couple of friends, one an omnivore and one a pescatarian. It was really busy which is a good sign, no spare tables anywhere. The food we had was good, probably my favourite dish of the evening was the nachos we had to start (I miss going out and having nachos!) They use a cashew cheese sauce on them along with all of the usual fixings and they were really really good. However, I do have to warn you that the (average sized) plate of nachos was a whopping £12. The main courses we had were good although there wasn't much on the menu that really inspired me to be honest. I had their Thanksgiving tempeh roast and it was delicious, my friend had the bangers and mash which was really tasty. For dessert I had their supposedly famous Irish cream cheesecake which I think is made from soy, and I have to say that I found it quite bland. The chocolate and nut ice cream that came with it however was amazing. My friend had the sticky toffee pudding and that was a winner, wish I'd had that! The main negative for the evening (I expected it to be expensive so I was prepared for that) was the service. It was polite but fairly indifferent and we were left alone for long periods of time with no one paying any attention to us. It took quite a while to get a dessert menu and even to get the bill and while we were waiting we saw the staff hanging around at the bar just chatting to each other. So while it was nice, it wasn't exceptional or great value, although I was especially happy that my omnivore friend really liked her vegan food!

Pros: Lively atmosphere, Vegan desserts!, Nice neighbourhood
Cons: Fairly terrible service, Pretty damn pricy, Not a very varied menu
Chris W
Chris W

Some of the best vegan food in London

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2012

Over the past couple of years we have found that Manna is one of the best, if not the best, restaurants for vegan (and vegetarian)food in London. The service is friendly, and the restaurant has a really good ambience. Most importantly the food is great. It is always beautifully presented and there is always an interesting additional daily option.

Pros: Great vegan food, Good atmosphere, Friendly service
sandberry
sandberry

Inconsistent

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

What's up with Manna these days? Once Manna was excellent, truly excellent, not quite world class but pretty good, certainly the best in London. Then it started getting worse so I wrote a bad review on here and then removed it after a good experience and now been back again and not so sure I wasn't right the first time.
So our recent experience with Manna
Menu- really is getting more boring each time for main courses, starters they are more adventurous with and we'll get to desserts later. One special a day does not do it.
Staff: friendly enough but seem to have less autonomy than they used to.
Food: Starters- portions have got smaller and smaller, had satay and was markedly worse than ever before, soggy,little flavour
Main course. DH had the special and was excellent, old Manna standard definitely, good food. I had Chef's salad, it is not as good as it used to be, small portions of the tasty stuff and too many leaves but still good enough
Dessert: we got unlucky here. Now why go to Manna and not to somewhere like Amico Bio which serves great simple fresh food? It is because Manna is one of the few places which does decent vegan desserts. Having had a fab experience of their Knickerbocker Glory in the past, we opted for the Banana Split. Bad choice! three scoops of Swedish glace (we can buy that in the shops, why homemade ice cream for everything else but not the Banana split), a halved banana, a teaspoon literally of sauce and squirty cream. Now I'm sorry but that is way below standard. So we complained.
Apologies and you can have it off the bill, okay, we were pleased with that, we hadn't intended for them to take it off the bill, just wanted to let them know that perhaps they could reconsider how they made their banana splits
two minutes later "no we can't take it off the bill"
well fine but why tell us you can.
£100 bill as usual and left feeling disappointed.
This is our Manna problem at the moment,you leave disappointed, don't go back for a while and eat in other places and then get tempted back by the great sounding menu and fond memories of the past, you go back hopeful and leave disappointed. It is a vicious circle. The question is can we break it. Is it possible to have a great experience at Manna now or will we eventually realize that our hope is misplaced, that the best we will get will be okay.
I am giving them four cows because comparing to other veg places they are still above average but will they continue their downward slide or improve?

Pros: some great food, friendly staff
Cons: inconsistent, menu dull, on a downward slide
mannschaftpag
mannschaftpag

Awesome reviews are deserved

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2012

Of course its subjective (see previous review), but in my experience the food here is absolutely superb. I've been several times, with groups of non-veggies and they have also absolutely loved it and wanted to return.

I applaud what's been done here.

My only word of warning is book a table and perhaps choose a slightly earlier time than usual. It can get quite busy and the staff can get a little frantic.

Pros: For me, phenomenal food, Great Location
Cons: Busy busy busy
Rosa and Joe
Rosa and Joe

awful!

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

can't believe how many good reviews this place has, it's terrible. Very expensive, but serves bland, mediocre food. We don't mind splashing out for a treat, we went for our anniversary, but it's cheeky charging so much for this food...

The menu was a vegan version of 'Abigail's Party', trying to be posh and impressive but the cheese croquettes reminded us of Findus Crispy Pancakes! Also tried tasteless jerk tofu, nothing else was memorable enough to have stuck in the mind!

Admittedly the cheesecake was good. It's great that anyone opens a vegan restaurant aspiring to gourmet food, but this is gourmet prices without gourmet quality

anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Excellent

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

The menu was extensive and totally vegan. Nice atmosphere - classy but relaxed with friendly workers. We had the polenta feast, a thali, the cashew cheese croquets, and spaghetti and veat balls. For dessert we had a banana split and a nut cheese cake. Everything was awesome.

Pros: Fully vegan, Extensive menu, Friendly workers
vegan frog
vegan frog

Fantastic choices!

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

Manna did break the bank a little bit but we still went there twice during our stay in London. It was worth every pound! We had starters, mains and desserts on both occasions because we're not sure when we'll be back.
The bangers and mash were amazing and more than filling enough! The desserts were out of this world, we tried the coconut cheesecake, trifle, and tahini pot de creme. Seriously it was so rich and decadent, non vegans were surprised and amazed by the taste. The staff were super friendly and easy going, and very knowledgeable about the food options and ingredients. I look forward to trying Manna again on a new visit to London!

Pros: all vegan gourmet food, great desserts, friendly staff
Cons: a lit pricey, expensive wine
drubot
drubot

Best Vegan food in London!!!

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

On my last night in London, I really broke the bank at Manna, but it was absolutely worth it! (For the record, you can eat there without breaking the bank, I just chose not to, electing instead for drinks, an appetizer, main course, and dessert!) I had conversations with all of the staff there that evening, including the proprietor and his wife; I've never dined by myself and felt less alone!! I highly recommend the bangers and mash (how can you not, when you're in London?) and the banana split is divine. They even provided me with some free snacks to take with me for my train the following day! Manna is a fantastic restaurant. You won't be disappointed. (Check the website for directions; they're spot on, even for someone as prone to getting lost as myself.)

Pros: Fantastic food, Friendly staff, Nice ambiance and neighbourhood
Guest
Guest

VEGAN CHEESECAKE!

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

The desserts are excellent! My husband brought me here for my birthday and we enjoyed the meal, but especially the desserts.

The main dishes come in very generous portions (maybe a little too big!).

I would recommend this place :)

Pros: Desserts, Friendly service, All vegan
Cons: Some dishes missed the mark
necropalice
necropalice

Classy and Delicious

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2012

My omni boyfriend surprised me by booking us a table at Manna for our one year anniversary. It was the perfect choice: the food was amazing, the interior elegant and classy, and there was a pleasant atmosphere. We basically gorged ourselves on raw maki rolls to start, followed by vegan enchiladas for my boyfriend and a chef's salad for me. I worried I was rolling with a boring choice, but I couldn't resist the sexy siren's call of caperberries, caramelised onions, potato salad, artichoke, greens and all sorts of other exciting ingredients piled onto one plate. After dinner, we shared a Mexican hot chocolate cake with tequila sorbet and berries. It was vegan. It was amazing. It was so good, I sometimes still think of it wistfully and am considering getting its image tattooed on my chest. We lingered over our Freedom beers and moonwalked out of there with full bellies. Basically, Manna's delicious food made my boyfriend look like hot shit, so everyone was a winner.

Pros: high quality ingredients, ridiculously good deserts, beautiful interior
Cons: it isn't in my house, too expensive to be a regular haunt
Tara HD
Tara HD

Good but not excellent

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

I've been to several vegan/vegetarian gourmet retaurants already, so my expectations were high. The food at manna was good and the dessert (banoffee trifle) absolutely fantastic but altogether I would have expected a little more (creativity and excellence) for the prices.

Pros: banoffee trifle
Cons: pricey
estefinparis
estefinparis

Very good, a bit expensive

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

Manna is located in a small road, a few minutes' walk from the Chalk Farm tube station (be sure to check their website for instructions and not google maps!). The atmosphere is immediately warm and welcoming, and the staff very friendly. We were not very hungry when we got to Manna, but the menu was so full of attractive options that is was difficult to chose. We opted for a mezze platter consisting of 3 starters (among which the jerk tofu was the clear highlight) as well as the nachos, which were ok, although the guacamole, salsa and cheese were a bit bland for our taste. Every Sunday they serve a different "roast", and the one we had, consisting of a great variety of vegetables, was very good. For dessert we enjoyed both a banoffee trifle and the strawberry cheesecake, which as the menu states, you shouldn't miss. All in all a very good meal, just make sure to check the prices first if you're on a budget.

shirley1
shirley1

The best meal ever

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2011

I have traveled alot and always eat in vegie restuarants and I think this was the best meal I have ever had.
I started with the natchos (to share) as I have never had them before. the tortillas were crisp and it had black beans and guacamole and a cream made of cashew nuts...it was amazing
My husband had the ravioli which had a mushroom walnut pate and a fennel cream sauce....also delicious.
For my main dish I had bangers and mash....it was all organic and the bangers were made from fennel and pumkin seed and was crispy ,the mash was made from parsnip and carrots with a red wine leak and thyme jus...YUMMY....
My husband had the enchalada which was also very yum-o
I then had to have desert ...which I never ever eat...It was the baked stuffed apple in a puff pastry wrap.!!!
The staff were very knowledgeable and the owner Robin was a delight ,
When I am in London again I will absolutly eat there.
I live in Canada

Pros: great food, great staff, very satisfying
louis
louis

A very pleasurable experience at Manna

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2011

As others have observed, great to have so many vegan choices, (all vegan menu). I visited Manna in December 2010 and opted for the set Christmas menu, 3 courses, aperitif and petit fours. A very pleasurable experience. All courses were utterly lovely. Great choice of booze.I left feeling very satisfied and not at all hungry. Upmarket sort of place in terms of interior, but at the same time relaxed and very reasonable price range for quality of food and location.

Pros: all vegan and tasty, great service, great desserts
lysi
lysi

Nice to have many of vegan choices

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

After I hadn't been for a couple of years, my partner and I booked a table this Valentine's Day 2011. Manna offered a special 7 course menu, which at £50 and including an aperitif and a glass of wine was reasonable.

I was pleasantly surprised when I realized all food was vegan - including the desserts, which was a choice between raspberry tofu cheesecake and dark chocolate pot with whipped cream.

The waiter was very friendly and attentive in a non-obtrusive way. He was also knowledgeable about the wine choices and when he realized that we struggled to finish the 7th course (petite fours), got the course wrapped us for us take away (something that is not necessarily that common in the UK).

I really enjoyed the canapes and mushroom shooters, the sweet potato soup. I absolutely adored the desserts, especially the tofu cheesecake. While the polenta cakes were nice, I'm not sure that the edamame beans went particularly well. The fried courgette flower however was very nice.

The restaurant is just off the Primrose Hill high street. Closest tube station is Chalk Farm, from which it's a 5-10 min walk to the restaurant. Just around the corner is the famous Primrose Hill from which the views over London are stunning, particularly on a clear day. Walking up before or after a Manna meals also relieves one to some extent of the dessert guilt.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Wide vegan choice, Vegan wines and spirits available
quarrygirl
quarrygirl

a MUST VISIT! fantastic!

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2011

i have been to manna twice now, and each time they served me one of the best meals of my life.

the first time, we went for dinner and had an absolutely astounding meal which included fresh bread, quinoa & millet, croquettes, and bangers and mash. everything was cooked to perfection. so flavorful and beautifully presented. unfortunately, we didn't care for our dessert, but the owner was so nice and offered us a free one on our next visit!

our second meal at manna was for their vegan sunday roast, and it was SUPERB! crispy "meat" made from macadamia nuts, wrapped in a pastry and topped with rich gravy. it was served with delicious roasted vegetables, and we even got some morning cocktails. a perfect meal, if you ask me.

while in london, BE SURE to eat at manna!

Pros: amazing food, great service, sunday roast
marcstevens
marcstevens

New Fave

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

My wife and I made our first trip to Manna just before Christmas and absolutely loved it. Couldn't believe we'd never been before, but sounds like things have improved recently, looking at other reviews, so perhaps a good thing that we waited.

Buzzing atmosphere, great service, superb food - made me proud to be vegan seeing so many people of all ages and walks of life enjoying themselves, whatever their dietary philosophy. I would bring all my carnist friends along and challenge their preconceptions.

I know what another reviewer meant by almost too much good food for the Christmas set menu, but we were able to take away a doggy bag of what we couldn't wolf down there and then, so enjoyed the tiramisu the following day too...

Me and the missus are booked in again for a Valentine's Day meal although they're closed on the actual day because it's a Monday (maybe you're missing a trick there Manna!). Can't wait!

Pros: 100% gorgeous vegan nosh, Easy to get to - 5' walk from Tube, Lovely service
Cons: Er ..., Um ..., ... None so far.
margypargy
margypargy

Tiramisu cheesecake - WOW!!

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

Went with my partner for the set Xmas menu. We got LOADS of food - probably too much. The highlight of the meal - we fought over it - was the tiramisu cheesecake. It was honestly the best vegan pud we've had anywhere. We felt the Xmas menu was a bit light on vegetables (only 3 tiny carrots and a bit of something green accompanied the main course - a very tasty en croute with a good sauce). Can't remember the starter but it was ok. A nice touch with the set menu was a plate of petit fours at the end and a free cocktail to start. It was our first visit to Manna and we'll definitely go again.

Pros: Tiramisu cheesecake!, 100% vegan, Friendly staff
Cons: Too much food
amymo67
amymo67

Manna From Heaven

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

We just had a wonderful meal at this almost entirely vegan restaurant located near Regents Park. The vegetables are very fresh, the faux meats way above average, and the homemade bread was excellent. The food was gourmet and elegantly presented, but the portions were not at all skimpy. In fact we chose to postpone desert (one of their specialties) and left feeling quite satisfied.

Highly recommended.

Pros: creative menu, romantic atmostphere, homemade bread
Caryne
Caryne

Totally amazing vegan food

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

Firstly ignore any bad reviews below, this place has undergone a major overhaul and is now totally vegan and has been for several months now. We visited this place yesterday and was met by the owner, Roger, who was really friendly. The decor was just right, subtle but tasteful and the music was generally of the 60's/early 70's (Rolling Stones, Georgie Fame, David Bowie etc) and on loud enough to hear but low enough to ignore if you wished (my husband wasnted the Stone to be louder!!) The menu, which is totally vegan, just blew my mind, I wanted everything on it and the specials that the friendly, helpful, waiter told me about. We were only having lunch so just stuck to a main course and a dessert though the starters others were having around us looked wonderful. I ate a hazelnut roast (the Sunday special) with roast new potates, vegetables and a superb yellow pepper dressing, my husband had sausage and mash with huge battered onion rings and a red onion gravy. Both dishes were perfect. For dessert I had a divine lemon cheesecake and my husband a delectable banoffee trifle. I also had this lovely hot drink infusion of mint, orange and maple syrup, sweet but delicious. Along with two soft drinks and service this came to just under £60.00. No, this isn't cheap but this standard of food isn't. If you want a cheap meal there are plenty of great places in London but this is fine dining and the price is comparable to other similar veggie establishments (and, of course, it is set in the lovely Primrose Hill!!) around the country and a hell of a lot cheaper than many quality meat based places. I really cannot recommend this place enough and I have eaten in veggie places around UK, Europe and the rest of the world. Don't miss this place if you are looking for a divine, totally vegan, dining experience in London.

Pros: All vegan, Fantastic Food, Friendly staff
maggiecotton
maggiecotton

Not Bad

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

We have been for Sunday lunch about 5 times now. It is very hit and miss on the food. The sunday lunch is OK but nothing to sing about. The deserts are OK but again not very inspiring. The chefs need to stop adding tofu to everything (personally I hate the stuff). They have gone all vegan now which is better. a £15 taxi ride from central London.

Pros: all vegan, good staff
Cons: hit and miss on food
blackxcloud
blackxcloud

i like it

Posted on 03 / 17 / 2010

I have only been to Manna twice, both visits were in the past 10 months, but both times have been good and I would definitely go again and recommend it. The staff have been efficient and very pleasant, attentive but not over the top or patronising. The food I have eaten has always been great. At my last visit in February I had nachos followed by bangers and mash finished with a slice of cake all of which were really tasty, the rest of the party were all pleased with their food as well. Maybe the chef has upped his game in the past few months.

comida
comida

Delicious food and beautiful environment

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2009

We had lunch here yesterday, and it was such a treat! We had the organic bangers and mash, and the malai kofta. Our server was very attentive and charming, and she was very good at explaining everything that we needed to know. The desserts were pretty amazing, and most of them were vegan. We had the mango cheesecake and the cake of the day which was a blueberry sponge cake, which came with a scoop of blueberry ice cream. All the dishes came beautifully presented, and the portions were quite large.

Pros: Yummy good, almost everything is vegan, wide range of vegan desserts
capn
capn

dissapointing

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2009

Manna last week, terrible once more, who's writing the pos. reviews? Review frm Nov.07 : back from my birthday meal at Manna. After reading the glowing reviews I expected fantastic food, imaginative and tasty. Even in this city of over-priced average fare, Manna disappointed in so many ways. Upon entering the restaurant, we both remarked how nice it looked, well-lit and good looking, nice lay out if a little too many tables in the space, we could live with that. Very neat and clean and definitely giving an impression of fine dining. Strange then, that we ate the meal with an indie-rock cd playing over the speakers (dont get me wrong, I like indie rock, it just wasn't appropriate there at all). Starters were an average price of £6.50(expensive even for London)and we had Perogis and a Fondue dish. The perogis were nice, full flavoured and the highlight of the meal. The fondue was awful - a badly made sauce, with cheese split from the wine and came presented within a small squash, with two miniscule bread sticks as the edible tool. Mains were 'pinto and lime chilli' and 'thai red curry'. Priced between £12.50 and £14.00 these were completely overpriced and not what I expect to see on a fine dining menu. I expect to see fare like this offered in a typical veg. buffet style restaurant. Nevermind, I thought, I'm sure it'll be something different than the usual fare. I was right, it was different than I'm used to - both mains were bland and unsatisfying. My chili had some falvour but lacked any heat whatsoever. It came with a tiny ramekin sized dollop of rice, a heap of undressed leaves, another egg-cup sized helping of tomato salsa (I counted 1 cherry tomato cut into 6 slices at it's core) and a similar sized bowl of guacamole. My partner's thai curry was also bland, although this time a reversal of my meal, whereas it lacked any substance of flavour but was chili'd to the max. The curry bowl consisted of 3 green beans, 2 baby sweetcorn stalks and 2 leaves of pak choi. It was accompanied by another egg cup of rice, a spring roll (that was tasty admittedly) and the obligatory pile of undressed leaves. I'm not a great cook, but I make better food here at home - this was bland, uninspired food that left us £60 lighter (Yanks you must be laughing right now...) and still hungry when we left. 88

Jemima
Jemima

Fails to live up to its billing

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2009

Unprepossessing exterior with box addendum extending out from the front of building. The decor inside is very pleasant with lovely silver and cream wallpaper and low lighting.
They had arranged seating for the big group I was with toward the back of the restaurant on the left as you walk in. It was a sort of enclosed area and they had placed the tables in a position skewed to one side. While there was at least a metre space behind chairs on one side there was less than a foot on the other side. The last people to arrive had to crawl under the table from the spacey side to get to the remaining chairs at the end of the table. I can only imagine the disruption had they had needed to go to the toilet during dinner. The enclosed area with the low ceiling meant sound bounced around and made it very noisy. It was really difficult to hear yourself speak and we were shouting just to make ourselves heard to those sitting next to us. By the end of dinner my ears and voice were a bit sore. I ordered soup for starter. I think it might have been pumpkin on the day. It was quite a large serving. Other than pureeing the pumpkin they added something, worsening the taste. It was bland. For main I had Vietnamese broth/ soup with leafy greens. It tasted bland. I have not had this before so am not sure how it should taste. Perhaps it was mint they used to create the effect they achieved. In other Vietnamese dishes I have had elsewhere mint complemented other flavours. When I went to see wait staff they were very pleasant, but they left us alone throughout dinner only coming to see if we wanted dessert toward the end. At over ₤20 for the two courses and service here it was definitely overpriced. That it came to this amount which was out of all proportion to what was delivered means it is a two.

kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

One of the best vegetarian resturant in London

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2009

With a beautiful atmosphere and creative menu of mixed world cuisines, this is one of my favourite veggie haunts in London. It's a lovely place to go with an extensive drinks list if you enjoy soaking in and hanging out. Centrally located in the lovely Primrose Hill area and easy to find, the food is gourmet and delectable and the staff friendly and helpful. It's so much better than other so-called high end veggie eateries like Vanilla Black and The Gate. At least when the bill arrives you can feel it was worth the money!

Pros: Lovely decor, Great food, Centrally located
Cons: A little pricey
flamekat
flamekat

Wonderful

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2008

My husband and I went to Manna to try their Christmas menu. The restaurant is rather packed in with tables, but it's beautiful at the same time, and the atmosphere is relaxed and quiet. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and service was good. I had the 4-course Christmas menu, which was absolutely delicious (and vegan). The canape was a pumpkin-filled filo pastry--the pastry was perfect, and the filling was good. I can't remember the starter, but it was some sort of timbale with wild mushrooms that was rather so-so. The highlight of my meal was my main, which was a jerusalem artichoke gallette with roasted veg. It was absolutely amazing, and I wished that I could have the same thing for my actual Christmas dinner! My husband was not as impressed as I was. He had the tempura for a starter, which was very good, but his main (something with wild mushrooms?) wasn't at the same standard as the rest of our meal. The sauce was good, but the rest was rather bland. He did enjoy his fruit crumble. My dessert was rather disappointing unfortunately. It was a "trio", but even with three pieces of cake, it didn't add up to a full dessert in my opinion. The apple bakewell was average. The chocolate cake (with rum I think?) was fantastic, and the vegan cheesecake had potential, but seemed as if the pieces had been cut and left in the fridge to dry out for a while. On the whole, we enjoyed ourselves, and are planning on going back soon to try the new menu. I think this may be the best veggie restaurant we've been to in London thus far. Although it is a bit pricey (to be expected in Primrose Hill), the quality of food was better than others, such as Mildred's.

Pros: good food, good service , nice atmosphere
Cons: a bit pricey, some dishes lack inspiration, dessert trio
condekedar
condekedar

Quite good

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2007

The food here was quite tasty, if a bit heavy. Prices are extremely high, but the quality of the food and its presentation justify the prices. I highly recommend trying their desserts, especially the vegan cheesecake, which is one of the best I've tried in the world.

Pros: Quality, Taste
Cons: Expensive, Heavy
sparkly_ruth
sparkly_ruth

My favourite restaurant in the world!

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2006

I love Manna. The food is gorgeous, with a brilliant selection for Vegans. My Omnivore boyfriend says it is his favourite restaurant in the world too :) I had the chef's salad which was awesome - a taste sensation on a plate. The desserts were great too. It's a little pricey - but worth it for a treat. Definitely go here if you're in London. Madonna, Stella McCartney, Moby & Gwyneth Paltrow have all been spotted here :)

Pros: Great food, Lovely staff, Seasonal menus
Cons: A little pricey
Marsglobe
Marsglobe

A Very Pleasant way To Pass the Evening

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2006

I took a party of 12 omnivores here to celebrate me leaving my job. The ever friendly and funky staff coped admirably with the barrage of questions and queries from my colleagues. The food was delicious, I had a filo wrapped black bean & monterey jack chimichanga which tasted fantastic and looked bloody marvellous!. I can strongly recommend the desserts here, the best chocolate tart I have ever tasted came from Manna, shame it's not on the menu currently. However, the mind blowing rasberry torte more than made up for it.

My colleagues all enjoyed the food too, (after initial squirming) and I think the meticulous attention to presentation helped. The only downside was a miso soup that tasted like something you'd strip drains with but that's a minor quibble.

The restaurant itself exudes the air of monied boho, think chemically abusive rock stars deciding to clean up their acts and go organic, and you get the idea. Set in lovely Primrose Hill, if you're up for it afterwards, a nice stroll up to the top of the hill to look at London at night is well recommended.

I'll be back (again)!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: horrible miso

Dear Owner and Manager of manna cuisine: