CLOSED: Manna

Vegetarian restaurant in Berlin Prenzlauer Berg opened in 2009. Offers a daily selections of dishes using mostly organic and seasonal ingredients with vegan options (ask), cakes and sweets (always a vegan option). Open daily from 9am, kitchen until 22.00. Reported closed to HappyCow March 15, 2011. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, International, European, Take-out
Marienburger Strasse 38, Berlin Prenzlauer Berg (Greifswalderstrasse, Prenzlauer Allee)
Berlin, Germany
030-89392217

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Elven
Take It Back
Take It Back

Good & simple

3 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

Manna is a really great neighborhood restaurant. Their staff is great, their food is very good, and their prizes are low. It's all very simple, but nice in its very own way. I wouldn't travel miles to eat at Manna, but check this out if you are in the Kiez.

Pros: friendly, cheap , good
Cons: closes early
aadams1217
aadams1217
  • non-vegetarian

Very good

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2010

I went to Manna a few times while I was in Berlin a few months ago. It was right by my hotel so it was super convenient. The portions are huge and the food is amazing. The prices are a bit high, though.

Every time I went, at least one of the staff spoke English. There was ALWAYS something vegan on the menu, even if it was only one thing. And they always had vegan cookies (which were very tasty).

Pros: tasty, big portions, nice atmosphere
Cons: expensive
Zinnia N
Zinnia N

Good but pricey

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2010

I suppose that the amount of vegan options varies every day, but when I went there about 5 of the 10 dinner options were vegan or could be ordered without cheese. Unfortunately everything was rather pricey for me, mostly close to 12 euros. You do get bread though; the portions are also large, and the food is well-made. The girl who worked there was not very friendly, but when she didn't hear my request to make my order without cheese, the cook remade the entire dish (which was nice). The ambience is also nice, and the atmosphere is pleasant. Also, although I don't eat desserts, I did see that there was a vegan cake available. Overall, the food was good and the proportions matched the price, but it was a little out of my price range. The mishap with the cheese could have been a bummer but they very kindly redid my order (although the waitress did sort of try to blame the misunderstanding on my German, which wasn't fair!).

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere, vegan options
Cons: aloof staff, expensive

wildfang
wildfang

Delicious food, few vegan options

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

When we ate at Manna, apparently there had been an unexpected group of soccer players there that day so that many things were already off the daily changing menu.
So we tried an absolutely delicious creamy roasted aubergine soup. I went for a very good salad as main (around 5€) and a freshly squeezed juice to go along with it which was quite expensive (about €3,50) but tasty. Then again - everything was organic so of course it's a bit more pricey than what you get in an average pub.
My partner tried some risotto style dish which apparently was very good as well.
Only we were a bit disappointed to hear that there was no vegan dessert at all.
We enjoyed the atmosphere, however, and will surely come back at some point and hope that the service will be a bit more attentive then.

Pros: fresh and healthy food, all organic, atmosphere
Cons: service improvable, few vegan options
hack_man
hack_man

Elegant in Prenzlauer Berg

3 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2010

An elegant place in fabulous Prenzlaeur Berg located on an exciting street with a great vibe. They offer a 4-course menu which can be 100% vegan. Other individual items are also available. We only popped in for a drink after eating at Vego Foodworld on the other side of Prenzlauer Berg and was impressed at what was on offer. The premises are very tasteful indeed and this looks like an impressive eating venue. It's somewhere I will return to for a full dining experience. The female staff member was a bit miserable at the time of visiting, verging on rude (25 August 2010) but I am hopeful other employees will be more inviting.

Pros: food, location, premises
Cons: pricey drinks
matrosin
matrosin

much to expensiv for that food

2 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

the girl who was there, was not the friendliest won, not a big choice of food (specialy vegan)- but cool creationens. i eat the stewed cucumber with estragon sauce. it cost 10,50 euro. all biological and fresh- but taste was not that good.

yes, and there was no vegan dessert.
think i'll not go there again.

unwilted
unwilted

Good, but not worth a trip

3 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

Overall this is a decent vegetarian restaurant. A bit run down, but still tolerable. The food that we got actually tasted good. The real problem with the place is just that the menu (at least on the day we visited) really lacked creativity. It had a vegeburger, a pasta dish that was essentially just spaghetti with tomato sauce and oil, and some curry dish. There was nothing unique, nothing that you could not get as the token vege dish at any number of restaurants in Berlin or elsewhere. But it tasted good. We'd go back, but only if we were in the neighborhood.

Pros: decent prices, tastes good
Cons: limited menu, lack of creativity, a bit run down
ravivasudevan
ravivasudevan

Best Restaurant Experience Ever

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2010

I went here when I was playing in an ultimate frisbee tournament in Berlin. We arrived with 10 people at around 9:00pm. We were the only ones there and were treated like kings. The food was fantastic, the waiter was amazingly sincere and friendly. He gave us free desert samples, an amazing hand drawn menu and even had the cook come out and talk to us about the menu. After we gave him a fairly generous tip he seemed almost embarassed and gave us all free shots of some pretty good liquor. Definitely go here and support the place, they are starting up and are really awesome people.

I had the beet root coconut curry and some kind of root stew. Both amazingly flavorful. Some other non-vegan friends got the lasagna and the artichoke dish they had. Everyone agreed it was an amazing experience and we will definitely be there next year if the place is still around when we come back for the tournament again.

Pros: Amazing Service, Tasty Food, Great Atmosphere
luilouster
luilouster

Great Place!

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2009

Very nice, warm place. Fine food selection, very tasty.
Friendly staff and children are most welcome too.

Henley
Henley

Wasted dining experiences.

2 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2009

We visited Manna three times while in Berlin trying to taste some food created by vegan chef Tolgar, but ended up being disappointed every time, as he was not working on the times that we visited. Obviously the quality of the food at Manna changes dramatically depending on who is in the kitchen . The food was lack lustre, salads overdressed and heavy cheesy dishes dominated the menu.

Service was close to the worst we have ever experienced, with one waiter swearing and other waitstaff ignoring us completely. On our final visit to Manna, after a ten minute wait without any service let alone eye contact from any of the staff, we had to go to the counter ourselves to order our drinks and food.

Try Hans Wurst just a couple of streets over instead.

Cons: terrible service, average food
cmayr
cmayr

fresh and original

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2009

A small restaurant that insiders might remember existed almost a decade ago just a few streets away. What was good about it then is still great. Fresh and original vegetable dishes - mostly vegan - great salads, the classic Manna Burger. Menus change daily. It's not cheap, but well worth the price. Main dishes are between 7 and 10€.

Pros: superb vegetable dishes, outside seating, very friendly service
Cons: small, just a few tables
Elven
Elven

Good, imaginative food in a friendly atmosphere

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

A cosy restaurant with an extremely friendly and helpful staff. Offers a daily changing, highly imaginative choice of vegetarian dishes - of which 2 options are always vegan. You will find German, Asian, Italian and other cuisine to choose from. Apart from that, any dish can be modified to your taste or dietary wishes. One of the three chefs is an inspired vegan, who can whip out astonishing surprises. The food is simply great, filling, beautiful to look at (also important!) and lovingly prepared. Highly recommended!

Pros: very original and imaginative dishes, friendly staff, vegan options always possible
Cons: "Prenzlberger" prices

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Manna: