CLOSED: Mango Thai

Serves meat, veg options available. Spring 2012 added meat to menu; previously a vegan restaurant. Thai food restaurant located just off the Superstition freeway in a strip mall. MAY 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NOT WORKING - REMOVED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
1440 S Country Club Dr (Superstition Fwy)
Mesa, Arizona 85210
480-964-3944

Open Mon-Fri 11am-9pm, Sat 11:30am-9:30pm, Sun 12-8:15pm.

First Review by jlo5616
burritomath
burritomath

Can't Touch This

4 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

Since neither my friend nor I, was very familiar with the area, I used the happy cow app to find a place located near the hotel my friend was staying at. The closest place was Mango Thai. We found the shopping center really easily and parked close. We walked to the door to find an older couple waiting by the door. They asked if we were planning on eating there, and we said yes, while bracing for the worst. They replied with oh, good, the owner took a delivery and should be back any minute. They said the food was delicious, but they felt weird just leaving the restaurant empty.

We found a table (there was no one else inside, NO ONE). I picked up some menus and we started catching up, while waiting for the sole employee to come back. She eventually returned and was very happy to see us. She turned on the music, and brought water. The music selection went from MC Hammer to Celine Dion to Norah Jones and even the Macerana.

The vegan and vegetarian options were clearly marked, with even the introduction in the menu saying that most things on the menu could be vegetarian and vegan. I ordered tofu tempura to start and vegan pad thai as a main. She politely confirmed no egg and no fish sauce. My friend ordered some type of red curry. The same lady went to the back where we began to hear cooking noises. After a short wait, the tofu tempura came out with homemade peanut sauce. The sauce was AMAZING. It was so good I dunked the tofu from my pad thai in it later.

The entrees arrived shortly after. The presentation was nice, with cabbage and carrots as garnishes. The pad thai was the sweet variety, with thick noodles and plenty of tufu. My friend's curry smelled delightful and had a nice selection of veggies and also ample tofu. She had asked for a 4 out of 5 on the spice scale and seemed to believe it matched her expectation.

The inside was decorated simply with multiple large fish tanks. There were koi and turtles in separate tanks and after sitting next to the turtle tank, we watched them, and they watched us. They were quite interested, and seemed friendly.

The owner/server/cook/delivery person asked where we were from, and when my friend said Seattle, the sole employee told us she had move from Seattle six years ago. She was very friendly and happy to engage the customers.

Because of happy cow's flawed rating system, I can only give this place 4 cows. In reality it should have 5!

Pros: clearly marked veg options, the music!, the peanut sauce
Cons: one employee
jlo5616
jlo5616

Great veg options

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2012

Mango Thai had a Groupon Now deal, so we thought we'd give it a try. We called ahead, realizing they closed in 10 minutes, and they quickly offered to stay open late just for us. They had a separate vegetarian menu and were ready to help us pick out the vegan options. The food was fresh and delicious, and even without the Groupon it was very reasonably priced. The pad thai is excellent! The restaurant isn't much to look at, but the food, price, and service is great. I only wish they would consider making it an all-veg restaurant (rumor has it they were all-veg at one time).

Pros: Dedicated veg menu, Cheap, Flexible hours/menu
Cons: Odd decor

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Mango Thai: