CLOSED: Mango Mango

Serves meat, veg options available. Locally owned serving lunch and dinner. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options, including gluten free sandwiches, locally made organic tempeh and more. Casual dining. BYOB. AUG 2014 REPORTED SHUT, WEB NO LONGER. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan/Vegetarian Friendly Bistro, Wi-fi available, Non-veg

HappyGardener123
HappyGardener123

soups!!

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

Mango Mango always has delicious soups. I love soup year round and this is my go-to spot. The staff are always knowledgeable about ingredients and unlike a previous reviewer, I WAS informed that the gf bread is not vegan which I appreciated. Salads are also fresh and delicious. A great lunch spot!

kfinlato
kfinlato

Eclectic local spot worth a visit

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

This small restaurant has the cozy feel of a coffee shop (low lighting; a few easy chairs in addition to regular tables; menu in colored chalk; free wifi) but the menu of an eclectic veg-friendly student hangout. I ordered the naan with olive tapenade and the turkish lentil soup, sat in the front corner, and munched vegan tastiness while watching the snow fall through the windows. I do not in fact recommend coupling the olive tapenade with the toasted naan because the strong, savory tapenade drowns out the subtle and toasty naan flavors, but the idea is great and there are three other spreads you can order instead of the tapenade--I look forward to trying them. When I asked for more naan (the first 8 wedges only got me through half of the tapenade) the cook toasted up another batch gratis. The lentil soup is hearty and was served very hot, perfect for a winter lunch. It could have used just a tad more spice like cumin and salt IMHO, but that's at the personal level, it was very comforting as it was. I would return in a heartbeat.

Pros: friendly staff, cozy atmosphere, great veg options
T.O.
T.O.

Vegans beware!

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

I went to this restaurant over a year ago, but I remember the experience well (unfortunately for the wrong reasons). My mom was visiting for the day, and we were looking for a light afternoon meal. We came at an odd hour, and there was only one person working at the counter. Service was slow.

The food itself: I ordered the coconut carrot soup, side salad, and got the gluten-free rolls which the waitress assured me were vegan when I asked. The food itself was decent, and beautifully presented. I asked the waitress for the brand of the roll, since it had surprisingly good texture for gluten-free bread (good gluten-free/vegan bread is hard to come by).

The next time I visited Whole Foods, I found the bread in the freezer isle... And it wasn't vegan. I was disappointed and upset. I am aware that more mainstream restaurants probably pass off non-vegan food as vegan all the time. But the fact that Mango Mango promotes itself as vegan-friendly (even marks vegan options on the menu), coupled with the fact that the counter girl assured us that the gluten-free roll was also vegan, made this inexcusable.

I will not be going back to Mango Mango again. I don't trust any of their "vegan" menu items, and this experience made me think that they are a generally dishonest enterprise. Perhaps I am unfairly judging them, and it was just the mistake of the one server, but I would still rather take my business elsewhere.

Pros: nice decor/vibe, lovely presentation, wide selection
Cons: "vegan" not so vegan, slow service
  • 2headedboi 2headedboi

do you remember what kind of bread it was/what you ordered? Also, why it wasn't vegan? Just curious.

Thanks!

RayneTupelo
RayneTupelo

Great little shop!

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2012

This restaurant is a hole in the wall, but I really enjoyed my meal here. I got a sandwich with fake chicken. The veggie meat and the bread were excellent. Sandwiches come with chips.

conniex721
conniex721

Fantastic

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2011

My whole family really enjoyed our experience here. Unfortunately, there weren't many people in the restaurant, so we got a private dining experience. It seems like their lunch business is probably a bit busier. The ambience is nice, with candles and beautiful artwork lining the wall, although the logos and outdoor decorations could be updated. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful. The menu is varied with choices for everyone, vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore. It encompasses a wide range of foods, from Indian to Chinese to American. We got the naan with olive tapenade and chipotle black bean dip for an appetizer, which was delicious. Then I got a cup of sweet potato chili (which was more than enough; a bowl must be huge!) and my parents got moo sho vegetables with mango rice and a curry dish. The portions are extremely generous and the food is packed with flavor. We were served quickly. I can't wait to come back and try all the items on this menu!

Pros: Flavorful food, Good service, Many options
Cons: Only a few desserts, Outdoor decoration

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Mango Mango: