CLOSED: Mandelbrot Set of Love

Established 2012, a one-woman operating cafe offering lots of cakes and cookies plus tea and savory food. Hippy vibe with re-used leather sofas, and sells second hand leather gloves. The decor is very individual, you could be forgiven for thinking this basement is an extension of the owners bedroom. Dolls, books, talismans, and weird nick-nacks abound. Open dates vary, must call ahead. Closed May 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, English, Bakery, Take-out

First Review by jon active
elrujo
elrujo

FANTASY WORLD

4 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

u wanna something unique ???

come here

i mean the interior design is just special

very creative and a place like no other ,by far

the food is also not bad , very good people at work there

Pros: unique creativity, inspiring place, tasty food
Cons: some food is not too healthy, place should be further central
caramelbunny
caramelbunny

queer and weird... but great!

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

I love the place. Its different and doesnt look like a restaurant but the food is gorgeous. I had a full meal with many little samples, like and indian balti, and my girlfriend had the gluten free option. Delicious and very good value for money. there are recycled leather sofas and the deco is unashamedly weird but the atmosphere is welcoming and easy going, the girl who served us was very friendly too. Recommended without doubts.

Pros: value for money, great food, unique
Cons: goin down the stairs if you have vertigo
jon active
jon active

Great cakes and teas but scary sofas

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

I had a very generous pot of herb tea and a good choc brownie. Some day soon I,ll go back and try the savoury stuff. But most of my vegan friends won,t due to the prevalence of leather sofa,s and second hand leather gloves on sale. I found these a strange choice of things to furnish a vegan space with but it doesn,t worry me unduly and I can see the owners (friendly and sincere) argument for making use of things already in existence! Another thing to note is that this place is very inaccesible for those unable to negotiate narrow steep stairs. What really amazed me, however, was that this Vegan cafe was able to open up in Hackney - right under my nose so to speak - without my hearing about it!! So I,ve posted it up on Happy Cow and I hope others will go and try out this new interesting and slightly eccentric vegan cafe.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 22, 2013

Pros: good food, friendly staff , a big pot of tea!
Cons: Access not easy, Not cheap, No photographs inside!!?
  • jon active jon active

As promised back I went for supper (well savoury food)and things got even better! We accepted the suggested mix platter of all the food on offer, which was about 6 dishes plus salads. This came with bread and only cost £4.50 with a bottle of Evian for an extra 50p! The spinach quiche was succulent, the stuffed aubergine tasty, the pizza wholesome (not cheesy) and all in all we were full after finishing the pears with ground nuts and orange fruit salad. There's always room for cake though so I shared a lovely chocolate pear tart and very good (but not creamy) Black Forest Gateau with my companion. She found the video projections of Native American masochistic dances a bit off putting and to be honest the "tables" could do with being higher off the ground! But this was again a pleasant experience, good service, inexpensive, great food and quiet! Go check it out!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Mandelbrot Set of Love: