Serves meat, veg options available. Menu is American vegetarian except for chicken. Breakfast and lunch offered all day. Will modify any dish for allergies. Relaxed atmosphere. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Juice bar, Catering, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by critterina
WorkingMamaOntheGo
WorkingMamaOntheGo
  • non-vegetarian

Love this Place!

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

I love Manatee Café! I grew up in St. Augustine and now every time I visit, I make sire to go by the Manatee. Lots of delicious options!

Pros: Good Value, Friendly Staff, Excellent Food
Art-Helping-Animals
Art-Helping-Animals

A Favorite Sunday Breakfast Spot - Worth The Wait!

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

I've been going here a few times a year for 6 years, and it's always consistently good! Sometimes there's a little wait on Sunday mornings, but once seated we never felt rushed in any way. Ovo/lacto vegetarians will be very happy, I'm not vegan but I believe the staff will gladly offer substitutions. These folks at Manatee have been offering veggie food in St. Augustine longer than anybody else.

Pros: Yummy vegetarian food, Long-time established restaurant, Fun wall murals
Cons: A 15 minute drive from downtown, Not totally vegetarian, Limited number of tables
no whey!
no whey!

Go here, vacationing vegans!

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

I adored this place. I had the tofu scramble with hashbrowns (which are actually home fries) and my friend had the breakfast burrito. They had vegan chocolate pie, but someone else got the last piece, so we split a cookie. They have a few hard-to-find veggie grocery items like veg cream cheese, etc. Staff was friendly, opposed to what older reviews said. Location is lacking, but it's great inside. I agree that the potatoes were overly salty, as someone else said. Still, I wish I had longer to stay- I'd come here again!

Pros: BREAKFAST, breakfast, BREAKFAST
Cons: salty

JessieSufferling
JessieSufferling

Yummy!

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

Scrambled tofu is fantastic, spelt pancakes were fluffy and yummy. Veggie omelet was best I ever had according to my sister. Very accommodating to food allergies.

John2009
John2009

Too salty

1 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

Went there after the great reviews. However, when I got my dish, it was so salty that I could not eat it. When I told the waitress, she told me she could bring me some rice. She did not understand that it still was too much sodium to consume. After asking for the manager, they agreed to bring me a veggie burger instead. The burger was ok, nothing special. My husband's dish was also too salty. How can this place be claim to be healthy, but then bring you dishes that are inedible and the staff not understand this?

Pros: Easy location
Cons: Salty dishes, Rude staff
vegandoll
vegandoll

Great Food! Neat Little Place!

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

I just went there for the first time with my friend. I ordered stir fry with tofu and it was wonderful!!! Very large portions too, enough to take home. The hashbrowns are really good too. My friend got a green smoothie and it was good. Cute little place with friendly service. Definitely going back.

Pros: vegan cheese, tofu
lynnkz
lynnkz

Love this place- tofu Reuben is awesome!

4 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2012

I've been eating at the Manatee since it opened in the 90s (used to be called Veggie Mama's I think). The best thing ever is the tofu Reuben. It is just a unique and special sandwich and I crave it when I don't have one for a while. Everything I've ever ordered has been good.

Pros: unique, vegan friendly
soopernish
soopernish

Delicious food!

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2011

I have had a tofu breakfast burrito and a soba noodle bowl at the Manatee Cafe. I think I paid about $7 or $8 for each dish, and both were very good. Breakfast is served all day.

This is a small, dimly lit place in a strip mall, with murals of manatees and mermaids painted on the walls. It is not a fancy place, but I loved the atmosphere.

Pros: Low cost, Reasonably sized portions, Friendly staff
Cons: Not vegan
ms319
ms319

Best breakfast

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

I ate at the Manatee Cafe while visiting St. Augustine for a wedding October '10. It was on a list of local restaurants that our hotel provided, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed it. My boyfriend and I liked it so much we ate here two days in a row. I was thrilled to find that they serve vegan pancakes and waffles (for me) as well as regular (for my omnivore boyfriend). The service was good and the food was delicious! The tofu scramble was incredible - I highly recommend it.

I would give this restaurant a 5/5 rating, but only a max of 4/5 is allowed for non-vegetarian restaurants.

Pros: good value, vegan friendly, pleasant atmosphere
Cons: easy to miss location
cjb225
cjb225

Excellent breakfast!

4 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2010

I just returned from a delightful breakfast at Manatee Cafe. I had the tofu scramble with a small salad and toast. Following that, I ordered a frozen banana/strawberry/apple juice smoothie. My meal was prepared perfectly because the staff is veggie/vegan oriented. The cook/chef told me that everything "starts out vegan" and then ingredients are added as required by the menu item. She also said that every 3rd Sunday is "Veggie Day" that caters exclusively to vegetarians/vegans. I am eager to promote this cafe, so I bought a t-shirt and mug! I will be back before I leave town tomorrow. Thank you!

Paula1232
Paula1232

Most Wonderful...

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2010

We found this restaurant through Happy Cow. We were looking for some healthy vegetarian restaurants while visiting St. Augustine. I can honestly say that this restaurant had the best vegetarian food we've ever had!! (This is comparing this restaurant against ones in California & New York) The food is delicious,the portions are ample and everything is very fresh. There was a short wait, as this place is obviously popular with the locals. So many selections to choose from. The staff is efficient and friendly. Anytime we are in this area we will visit.

Pros: excellent food, great menu, good price
Cons: building too small
VeganBikerBabe
VeganBikerBabe

Why We Go to St. Augustine!

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2009

My Boyfriend and I LOVE this restaurant, and it's the reason we travel to St. Augustine as much as we do. Probably the most frustrating part about being vegan is the lack of good breakfast place, but Manatee Cafe fits the bill.

Pros: VEGAN BREAKFAST!, Mmmm, Vegan Chocolate Pie:-p, LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT
Cons: Location:, Too hip to be in a strip mall!, Should be in a quaint area instead:-)
piffelina
piffelina

fantastic!

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

we were so pleasently surprised to find this great place!

i ate the best bagel i ever had with hummus, avocado, sprouts and my boyfriend had pancakes. very nice staff, that made us feel right at home.

we are still talking about going back to st. augustine just because of this place! 5/5 cows!

Pros: food is amazing, great staff, cheap!
kmlamb
kmlamb

Wow. That's a lot of tofu.

2 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2009

I stopped in the Manatee Cafe during my stay in St. Augustine, having heard it was vegetarian and could do vegan.

Wow. There's a lot of tofu on the menu. A LOT.

If I didn't have any other food concerns, this would be a great stop. But the place is such a small business that my server was on the phone when she took my order and I didn't get a chance to ask what was actually in anything. My tofu scramble with hashbrowns was actually a tofu scramble with seasoned small cut potatoes/home fries. And there was some mystery flavoring in the tofu scramble that wasn't mentioned in the description.

The food was good tasting and the location was clean. But it was a hap-hazard operation from what I could tell (someone had to re-take another customer's order at one point. And I wasn't told the specials but a customer that came later on was) and it would've been nice to be informed earlier about what exactly was in the dish.

Pros: good prices, vegetarian diner-style food, clean
Cons: not run smoothly, lack of non-tofu options, menu descriptions don't match dishes
debsky
debsky
  • non-vegetarian

Awesome lunch at Manatee Cafe!

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

We went to lunch at this restaurant on Friday when we were in town visiting. The staff was so nice and helpful and the food is excellent. We will definitely eat there next time we're in town. It's a little outside the historic area but well worth visiting.

Pros: Food, Friendly Staff, Well priced
Cons: Worth the minor trip.
2thumbsup
2thumbsup

BEWARE!

1 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2008

If you have allergies, don't go here! The do not respect folks with allergies and you are taking your life into your own hands.

They put me in the hospital and were very rude.

Ceili1966
Ceili1966

Very good

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2008

I wanted to eat light so I got the rice and beans. It was really good - black beans and jasmine rice with a small salad filled with spring mix, sweet potato, mushroom, sprouts, carrots. My husband got the veggie burrito which is really a soft taco with chips and hummus on the side. It was crowded which is nice to see.

rockhoppergirl
rockhoppergirl

*Favorite Local Spot*

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2008

I love the Manatee Cafe, they are extremely vegan friendly and will accommodate for almost any needs. They are local and organic when available, and I love all of the options. My non-vegan family also has found the Manatee to be their favorite spot, breakfast or lunch any time of the year. The service is excellent, the employees are genuine and courteous, the facility is always clean and the food is fast- zero complaints.

Pros: options, quality, service
mspurselady
mspurselady

Unimpressed

2 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2007

The wait staff is very unfriendly, I thought it was me the first visit, after the third time I decided I'd had enough. The moldy can of soda I received with my order was the final straw. We wont be eating there again.

Pros: convenient location, wide menu choices
Cons: staff unpleasant
aglenn0
aglenn0

Fresh Tasting Food

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2007

Manatee Cafe is a great lunch spot with a variety of sandwich options with fresh veggies. I loved the addition of sweet potatoes in many of the sandwiches and wraps. My wrap was bursting with flavor, veggies and tasted very healthy! The hummus was a little heavy on the garlic but was still quite tasty. Friendly, accomodating staff!

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Friendly Staff, Fresh ingredients
Cons: Hours
critterina
critterina

tofu scramble

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2007

was surprised to get one, especially in the south. it was very good. liked the old location better. new atmosphere in the strip mall really lacks. great desserts!

Pros: breakfast
Guest
Guest

It's okay... could be better

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2007

We (four of us) stopped in the Manatee Cafe on purpose on a recent trip to St. Augustine (we looked it up and made a point of going there). I thought it was just okay. I had a rueben type sandwich. The food was alright, I've had much better in vegetarian restaurants. The staff was not the friendliest. I was excited to go to the place and left feeling disapointed.

Dear Owner and Manager of Manatee Cafe: