A moderate size store that's very well-stocked with everything at reasonable prices. Fresh fruit and vegetable includes local and organic selections, bulk staple, frozen and refrigerated food, packaged dried food, plus a vitamins and supplements section. The in-house bakery makes fresh breads and pastries, including vegan and wheat-free cookies and cakes. The deli features salad, hot foods, prepared raw food, natural juices, changing soups, and sushi. Has a drinking water machine inside as well as a soft serve machine with one dairy and sometimes one non-dairy option. Housed in a rustic, old building and has a parking lot beside it. more-less
49 Baldwin Ave (/on Maui)
Paia, Hawaii 96779
808-579-8078

Open Mon-Sun 8:30am-8:30pm.

First Review by veganpastagirl
iaotigerlily
iaotigerlily

My favourite Health Food Store

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

I've been going here for as long as I can recall. I love their selections, especially their Raw Food!
Updated from previous review on Friday July 18, 2014

Pros: not outrageously expensive, friendly people, some of the best raw food I've ever had
Cons: they don't pay their employees too well, they throw away a lot of food
Chia
Chia

Great store

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2012

I've shopped and gotten food from the deli at Mana Foods on all past trips to Maui. Am here in Maui, December 2012, and here's my Mana Foods review update.

The market is situated in the heart of Paia town where locals mix with tourists who come to shop and eat at restaurants. The building looks rather old but once you walk inside, it's a different story.

The store is totally well-stocked with everything one could want. Great fresh produce including local fruits and organic veggies. Large dry foods selection. Awesome baked goods made in-house in their own bakery. Eco friendly babies stuff, organic clothes. A natural health and supplements section.

The deli, depending on the time of day, is generally okay. There is a good size salad bar in addition to daily soups, cold deli food, sushi, cakes, and raw food desserts and savories. There are plenty of vegetarian vegan options. I've eaten food from the deli numerous times. The nori tofu rice rolls (daytime only) are filling and tasty. My complaint would be that the food can sometimes taste too salty and a bit oily.

Overall, Mana is one of my favorite places to shop in Maui. There is a grassroots feel about it, kinda bohemian and very earthy.

Pros: veg-friendly deli & bakery, great selections, okay prices
Cons: deli food quality sometimes inconsistent
vegan frog
vegan frog

Bigger than it looks from the outside

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

Great store, many veggie options and even local products like Hawaiian salt or sugar to bring back home.
Well stocked and packed.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

stoned hippys munchie dreamland

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2012

Wow, wow, wow! You would never know from the exterior what a vegan wonderland is housed inside. There is an innsane selection of vegan cookies, cakes, scones, cupcakes, etc. There is also a deli and salad bar that is well stocked with great vegan dishes. The best thing about manna is that they seem to have every flavor of everything they stock from bars to cookies to ice cream.

Pros: vegan baked goods, deli
kindlizard
kindlizard

good selection

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2011

They seem to have a lot to choose from, are well staffed with nice folks, and have quite a hopping HF scene going on. I try to divert my attention from meat at HF stores, but I do think I saw some here. Still, we got a few things here on different visits and would tell anyone to do the same. The lot next door is public and all day.

Pros: nice folks, selection

lmzeigler
lmzeigler

Great store

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2009

What a wonderful store! It was the only place on Maui that I found that had a full selection of vegan items at decent prices. I ate at the food bar and got an eggless egg salad roll and a tuna-safe toona roll--both excellent and only cost $2.50 each! They do carry meat which is a bummer.

Pros: Selection, Cost, Food bar
Cons: Carries meat :(
Frisco77
Frisco77

Best health food/grocery store

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2009

I lived in Haiku and came to mana almost every day for their spinach burger. I have yet to find something comparable. I'm moving back in a few months and mana will be one of my first stops.

veganpastagirl
veganpastagirl

Great Deli!

5 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2008

They have such a great variety of vegan food, salads, vegan breads and cookies even carrot cakes and chocolate pies. We didn't know what to choose. Very good prices and friendly people. It's a great place to buy stuff to take with you on the way to Hana or for Picnics. It's interesting that is the only market in Paia and it's organic. So expect some crowds depending on the hour.

Pros: Vegan, Organic, Cheap
Guest
Guest

Extremely uncomfortable at this store!!

1 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2006

Last year my husband and I (young, broke and on government assistance) were given the chance of a lifetime to go to Hawaii to stay with his sister! We were given 2 roundtrip "buddy passes" from a friend who works for Delta as a wedding present. It took us 4 days to get to Hawaii (we were on standby the whole time) and we were using our wedding money for food, hotel stay etc. along the way. I realized when we were in Paia that we could actually use our foodstamps from NY because we were so low on cash..remember, this trip was GIVEN to us. We went into Mana foods and purchased a few sandwiches etc. and when I went to use my card, the cashier began rolling her eyes and getting really pissed off at us...COMPLETELY JUDGING US! So what if we have food stamps? Its NY food stamps..not Hawaii...we werent taking the Hawaiian residents food stamp money! And yes, I understand she probably thought we were rich vacationers...not staying with family for free...but, where's the love? Its great that Mana foods is all for animal rights but what about the Ethical Treatment of People?? And you know what? One day after we shopped at Mana foods they placed a sign out front BANNING food stamps until further notice. What the hell? We felt like intruders and extremely uncomfortable. I will never step food in that store again...and I will definitely tell my vacationing family not to as well when they visit my sister in law on Maui.

Ashley Neff

Pros: Good food
Cons: pricey, rude workers
  • aloha.aina aloha.aina

I'm sorry you had this experience, but I'd venture to guess it was just one of those things that had nothing to do with Mana Foods. I've lived here for years and have been in here hundreds (likely thousands) of times. I'm behind folks with food stamp cards all the time, and many of my friends are on PA. I've never seen a cashier blink twice about taking the card for payment - if they did there would be a whole lot of blinking. Give them another chance.

Dear Owner and Manager of Mana Foods: