Casual Kosher Middle Eastern veggie cafe. Offers pita sandwiches with falafels, hummus, and other veggie toppings. Sauces might contain dairy, vegans to ask for non-dairy. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Middle Eastern, Fast food, Take-out, Kosher

First Review by sifelaver
kuddy831
kuddy831

Awesome Falafel!

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

The falafel here is exceptional. The pita's are soft and fresh and the whole meal is just overall delicious for a nice inexpensive price!

Pros: Great falafel, Great prices
Cons: Small establishment, Hard to find parking
phillyvegguy
phillyvegguy

Best Felafel but not vegetarian

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

They have TUNA in the menu. By all conventional and biological norms, it does not count as something vegetarian. The name of the business is misleading. Also this site should change its designation from Vegetarian to Veg friendly. I like their felafel but I was disappointed when I saw TUNA on a chalk board in one of the menus. The other menu on the wall on the right does not list Tuna.

They can sell all the Tuna they want, but they should stop misleading people like me who make an extra effort of changing two trains to get a bite at an all vegetarian place.

Their wash area is too close to the food handing area. There is no barrier that will prevent water droplets from the faucet reaching the food handling area.

Pros: Best felafel, Friendly enough staff
Cons: Hygiene issues, Misleading business name, Not entirely vegetarian
veggiesattva
veggiesattva

Great falafel & salads, and so quick!

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2012

This place was great! Went there on recommendation of this website for a quick weekday lunch. The guys behind the counter move so quickly they're a blur! The falafel was perfectly made, the best I've had in a long time. Salads on the side of the room were various and all so tasty. Their hot sauces are Really hot.

Whole experience was very satisfying and one of the best meals we had in Philly! This place is clearly very popular at weekday lunch times (there was a steady flow of people the whole time we were eating), and with good reason.

minispiel
minispiel

Kosher, Vegan, and the Kitchen Sink

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

This restaurant/deli was amazing! It is run by Israelis and is both kosher and vegatarian/vegan. My husband is neither vegan nor vegetarian NOR JEWISH but loved it! It was one of the only vegan places that made him full (and there's a lot of him). Order the falafel: it was extremely good. Great for a fast, inexpensive, and filling lunch.

Pros: Friendly, Inexpensive, Fast
Cons: Nothing, Nothing, Busy
jon1227
jon1227

best falafel in the city!

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2011

The title says it all, best falafel in Philadelphia! Twice as good as Maoz I just wish they had better hours.

Pros: Great falafel, spicy
Cons: poor hours
Prose
Prose

Best Sandwich Ever

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2010

On my recent trip to Philadelphia I had their latke sandwich, and it was amazing! My only regret is that I shouldn't have ordered a side of fries because their sandwiches are a lot larger than they look.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Inexpensive
Cons: Not roomy
Midori
Midori

Not bad

3 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

Their pitas are soft and fresh, and the prices are reasonable. Nothing really amazing here - just basic hummus, falafel, pitas, etc. For a restaurant with the word "vegetarian" in the title, the staff is surprisingly ignorant of veganism. My friend and I kept asking about ingredients in some of the less obvious menu items, and the staff didn't know anything about it. You'd think that a veg restaurant would make what is vegan and what is not more clear than that. Still, aside from not knowing anything, the staff was perfectly pleasant.

Pros: decent food, good prices
Cons: not vegan friendly
DannyRebel
DannyRebel

Popular at lunch, and I see why!

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2007

I had a Spinach Boreka and then had to try the Mushroom Boreka. They were quite good. They have a short menu, but the place jammed full on this Thursday at noon. The line moved at a fair pace. I believe this might be Turkish food.

Pros: Inexpensive, Dine-in & sidewalk seats
Cons: Short, but tasty menu, Needs food descriptions
veggielissa
veggielissa

Savory

3 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2007

My sis and I came here for lunch on a hot summer day. I was surely NOT dissapointed with my falafel, but I wouldn't go out of mmy way to get another when there is far more vegetarian fare.

Pros: filling, not bad falafel
Cons: busy(longish wait)
myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Oh yes, the best!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2007

This place is simply wonderful! I had my best falafal ever there... It is not far from the Ritz movie theater, perfect for picking up a sandwich and going to catch a flick! Yum!

sifelaver
sifelaver

the best

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2007

i've had all of the falafel in the city and i like mama's the best. they make their own pitas, the falafel is hot and consistently good. not dry like some other falafel places. in addition to the 20th street location (mama's vegetarian) the son's have opened their own joint at 6th and south (mama's grill - not 100% vegetarian as they have shwarma on the menu.) last i checked a small falafel was $3.50 and a large was $5.

Pros: excellent falafel, inexpensive, two locations
Cons: small dining room
  • kuddy831 kuddy831

Food was awesome and the price is great for all the food you get. As for Phillyvegguys comment about there being Tuna on the menu? I've been to this place and have never seen any seafood of any kind on their menu.. perhaps you read it wrong. You can even go to their website to see their full menu... no Tuna listed.

Dear Owner and Manager of Mama's Vegetarian: