Mama's International Tamales

Serves meat, veg options available. Changed ownership at the end of 2011 and has different owner and food as the former Mama's Hot Tamales Cafe. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Mexican, Catering, Take-out, Non-veg
2124 W 7th St (opposite Mac Arthur Park)
Los Angeles, California 90057

gpwp23
gpwp23

Mamas is awesome!

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2014

This place is great! I just moved to the neighborhood a few weeks ago and I've already been here 10 times! Great place to take you non-veg*n friends when you want to stuff your face too!

Ryan MTB
Ryan MTB

Delish Tamales!

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

Mama's makes excellent vegan tamales- just make sure you ask which one's are vegan, since the restaurant is not. Too many tamales out there, restaurant or store bought, consist of a mass of cornbread and two strips of soggy onion inside. This place finally does tamales justice. Had the black bean tamale & chocolate tamale. Both excellent. Guacamole was disappointing. It was a pile of chopped tomato & onion, with a little avocado mixed in. Where's the avocado? Plantains were OK, but I've had much better. They were definitely on the dry side. The black bean soup served with them was good though.

Pros: Great tamales, Friendly staff, Clean and inviting
Cons: Sketchy hood, Parking is a challenge
Chia
Chia

Yummy Vegan Tamales

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2012

Had read about this place on HappyCow and finally made it out to this part of Los Angeles. Here's my Mama's Hot Tamales Cafe review.

Was just here a couple days ago for lunch. It's situated directly opposite Mac Arthur Park in/near downtown Los Angeles. Parking is on street only.

The tables and chairs inside were all painted Mexcian-style with lots of lively colors of flowers, plants, and vegetable. It did seem a bit stagnant and grungy to me, though.

The chalkboard menu lists the tamales on offered that day. Of the six, 2 were vegan suitable (I asked): beans & herbs and spinach & mushroom. I got a bit of hot salsa to eat with the tamales, which were both quite delicious. I would definitely return to get the vegan tamales.

I also got a serving of the fried plantains, served with refried black beans (without the sour cream). While sweet, the plantains were too much charred (blackened) for my liking.

I would come back for the espresso as well, because the Americano I had (espresso + hot water) was quite good. Who knew a tamales restaurant would offer good coffee?!

Pros: authentic Mexican, good espresso
Cons: interior a bit grungy

Dear Owner and Manager of Mama's International Tamales: