Mama Roots

A colorful veggie restaurant, opened Oct 2012. Offers a la carte as well as banquet menus. Vegetarian, vegan, BYO, and desserts. Sample menu items include gnocchi, lasagna, veggie burgers, a savory donut, salads, and daily cakes which usually includes a vegan one. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Australian

First Review by fletchiekins
Tiggy
Tiggy

Nice food but could be better...

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

Finally made it back to Mama Roots so I could write a proper review. I hadn't been here since the place opened but finally had a chance last Tuesday. The decor is a mixture of modernish - wood panels and floor - and rustic - lime green-painted walls, exposed brick and mismatched furniture, with vintage flourishes such as cinema seats. The staff were friendly and accommodating, usually anticipating what we needed before we had to ask. The menu is maybe thirty percent vegan. My partner and I were sharing and agreed on the laksa from the mains menu and (with some reservations on the part of my partner) the polenta dish. We also ordered the popias - mini spring rolls - and I snuck in an extra starter of tofu balls. Both starters were fine: the spring rolls were crisp, flavoured mainly by the dipping sauce and the tofu balls were nice with their satay sauce, although their outside was more cakey in texture than crispy. The laksa was tasty though the noodles were a bit soggy and seemed to have soaked up much of the broth. As for the polenta dish, the texture of the polenta was good and the dish nicely flavoured with Napoli sauce punctuated by Vietnamese mint. The prices are on the upper side of reasonable: around $15-$17 for a main and $7-$10 for a starter. the one exception on our visit was the muffins I ordered to take home - not realising they were $7.50 apiece! No muffin can be worth that and these ones - while not bad - certainly weren't. While not amazing, the food here is good enough for me to want to come back again, both for some of what I tried on this occasion and for menu items yet to be sampled. (Four cows means good not very good.)

Pros: Decent food, Friendly, accommodating staff
Cons: Not a high proportion of vegan options, Preparation of some dishes could be better, Highly overpriced muffins
CharleySDG
CharleySDG

Delicious & abundant meals.

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

It was hard to choose one thing from the menu each, so we got 4 to share. It was worth it. The food there is heavenly. The staff are patient & were always around if we needed. Can't wait to go back again & order 4 more dishes.

fletchiekins
fletchiekins

Great service and great meals

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

This cafe style vegan/ vege restaurant is situated on the main (High) St in Thornbury - the menu is not extensive but the food listed is delicious. We opted for the banquet and we were not disappointed.

The service was really good and I was allowed to BYO beer (which is good for me as I don't drink wine).

I will definitely go back again

Dear Owner and Manager of Mama Roots: