Makro Vega

Split vegetarian restaurant featuring a daily changing menu with both vegetarian and vegan food. Has vegan desserts and tea. Modern decor. Directions: 1st right turn from Krizeva, in city center. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Macrobiotic, Western, Take-out

First Review by Miru
ElizabethLlewelyn
ElizabethLlewelyn

Classy friendly place to eat

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2014

This restaurant has a really nice relaxing atmosphere which is nice to get away from the overwhelming number of tourists in Croatia in summer. Food is nice. Free wifi available. Out of the way but not hard to get to. Has a small courtyard at the front. Friendly helpful staff. Most similar to food I would get at home rather than 'vegetarian option' of pasta with vegetables which seems to be the only thing on offer everywhere else. Offers seitan, tofu and mushroom bases for meals.
Needs more greens on offer for green juices as they have a slow juicer.

AroundTheWorld
AroundTheWorld

My canteen in Split

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2014

I spent one week in Spit on March 2014 and Makro Vega was my canteen. It closes at the end of the afternoon so no dinner option. I lunched here almost every day and sometimes took away dishes for the dinner. Dishes are vegetarian with vegan option for each of them. Food was very good though sometimes not well balanced, like the seitan with spaghetti which I didn't finish. Daily menus are served with a very fresh and good soup and raw salad. I recommend as the best vegan restaurant in Split.

Pros: Vegan option for each dish, Excellent soups and salads
Cons: sometimes menu not well balanced
Rhduthie
Rhduthie

Yum

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

Loved this place. They seem to have made improvements, as they now have an English menu, and lots of indoor seating. Really nice vibe to this cosy restaurant. I got the set menu plate, and a desert, both of which were delicious, filling, healthy food. I felt great after eating here, and am thinking of going back again tonight! Really highly recommend this place. Only thing to note is that it was hard to find, and there seemed to be only one person working, and I saw some people waiting at the counter for a while. The food still came quickly though, so I guess being short staffed might not be an issue in this quieter season.

Pros: Delicious food, Good price, Nice vibe
Cons: Hard to find
veggieriga
veggieriga

Great food

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

I ate here twice for lunch and both times got the vegan lunch set - once without soup for 55 kuna and the other time with soup for 60 kuna. The lunch set is very filling, and I had leftovers to take to eat later. However, I believe it's cheaper to order from the a la carte menu. The lunch set changes each day.

Pros: great food
Cons: no wifi
mmcgauran
mmcgauran

Delicious vegan food

5 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

They have daily set lunch menus (60kn; or 55kn without soup) with both vegetarian and vegan options. You can also get snacks (pizza slice, wraps etc. if you would prefer). Sweets available, including two different vegan sweets (on the day I was there). Food was delicious. Staff very helpful. Enjoyed finding the cozy location off side streets (you may need a map!).

Pros: Delicious food, Good variety, Helpful and friendly staff

SpyraSea
SpyraSea

Main resto for veggies in Split

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2013

We often come and eat here simply because the food is excellent. They offer daily menus for both vegetarians and vegans, as well as vegan burgers, burritos, cakes and treats (though few sweets are vegan so make sure you ask beforehand). It is located in the centre of the town (maybe little hard to find but worth the effort) or you can also pre-order by phone. Both menus are less than 10 euros (60 kn for the vegan).

kateborgo
kateborgo

Affordable little gem

3 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

Went here twice while I was in Split, and was sad that I only discovered it the day before I left.
"Snacks" are all 15-17kn and include things like tofu/mushroom/seitan burritos, burgers, swisschard and mushroom savoury pancakes, moussaka, what looked like lasagne and much more.
I had the savoury pancakes the first time and burrito the second. Both were fantastic. The pancakes were especially tasty.
They also have an incredibly cheap daily menu, both vege and vegan options. You pay about 60kn for a soup and a huge plate of a variety of items for main.
The staff were wonderfully kind and helpful.
Wish I was still in split for this!!
Thank you!!!

Pros: SO tasty, Cheap as chips, Great service
Cons: A little hard to find
surfergirl
surfergirl

• herbivore

Split it good!

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

Very clean spacious restaurant in the heart of Split.Choose wisely and you will get a great meal otherwise an ok meal.Have eaten here twice now,first time great second time ok choosing meal of the day both times.
The sweets are pretty amazing.
Considering Croatia is such a meat zone I will push up the rating to four cows.You really don,t have any other options and I do give them A for effort.They are well worth supporting!

Pros: Clean, Nice staff, Quick service
Cons: Smallish menu, Inconsistent quality, Old school vego
heyheyrenee
heyheyrenee

Loved it!

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

I thought this place was great. I had the dinner special the first night. It came with soup, salad, polenta, veggies and tempeh. The next day I had the seitan burger and the apple strudel. It's so nice to have healthy vegan choices. The 3rd day I had a vegan tofu breakfast square. I also bought a piece of cake for later. It was really good and it had chocolate, coconut and banana in it. I'm not sure what else. I wish they had an English menu so I could have read the ingredients. One of the staff was very helpful and pointed out all the vegan options and made recommendations. The 2 other staff members I dealt with were not so helpful. When I asked one lady what was better of two choices she said she didn't know. I said, "Oh you don't eat this food you just work here" but she said she did eat the food but couldn't give me her opinion. I found this odd but it didn't change the fact that the food was delicious.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 12, 2012

Pros: Great vegan food, Lots of choices, Healthy
Cons: No English menu, Not very helpful staff, Difficult to find
NickVegan1980
NickVegan1980

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

After walking in and around Split, I was really happy to come across this place. Split has had an italian influence on their cuisine, with lots of pastas and pizzas, so not great for the travelling vegan.

I had a sit down set meal (which was different each day). The set meal was a soup, main meal and a salad for around 70kn (approx £8).

They did also have some pies, cakes and sandwiches to take away.

Great place and to be honest the only place, as a vegan, you are going to find to eat in, in the town of Split (that and their sister company Upcafe).

There were lots of locals in there too (I think it is one of the only places to get something that is healthy in the town)

If this place was in the UK (with more to places around to eat), would I go?...I think I would!

Recommend it to anyone (meat eater...sorry meat consumers/veggies or vegans).

Pros: A place to eat, Good Value, Friendly Staff
HappyMiller
HappyMiller

Makro Vega

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

We enjoyed eating at Makro Vega but I found it overall a bit plain. We had the Vegan set menu (you basically choose either the Vegetarian or Vegan version) for I think 70 kuna (~£7). It was a lot of food but I think a lot of my enjoyment of it was simply eating real vege food and not the steamed vege, plain rice and pizza you tend to end up eating in most Croatian towns. That said the vege pakora were delicious!

They have some rolls and cafe style food in the cabinet, made for Makro and their sister shop UpCafe. These are cheap and very tasty. There seem to be some variety but you can almost guarantee a tofu or seitan option.

One thing to note about this place, is the opening hours are not great - it closes at 8pm so you have to plan around an early dinner unless you self cater or suffer through a meal elsewhere since this is the only real dinner option in Split.

Pros: Price, Good selection, Location
Cons: Opening hours, No alcohol
lwe2405
lwe2405

the definition of a hidden gem

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2012

it'll definitely take you a while to find this place but when you do, you'll realise it was worth the backstreet quest!

we had the set menu, which at 70 Kuna is comparable to the other restaurants in the region. and this is essentially for a LARGE 2-course meal with sides. soup to start followed by a wide range of different grains, tofu and veg for main. enthusiastic staff to match. you won't be disappointed. the desserts are top-notch too!

Pros: superb food, good value for the quantity, bubbly staff
Cons: decor a little out of place
estefinparis
estefinparis

Healthy and tasty

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

After days of eating past and grilled vegetables, the vegan menu at Makro Vega was a very welcome change. Healthy, wholesome food with a great taste, it is definitely a spot to recommend. It is a bit hidden though so if you can't find it ask the locals!

booklover84
booklover84

Wholesome, tasty food.

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

This restaurant was very hidden away in a small back street so it took us ages to find (even with a map from Google maps!) but it was worth it for the food. The service was a little brusque initially (we were going to order from the a la carte menu but the woman seemed unhappy with that so we opted for the set menu instead). The food was delicious, and we even returned the next day for a lunch time snack of tofu burritos which were superb.

Pros: Good value, Tasty and wholesome, Nice atmosphere
Cons: No alcohol!, A little hard to find
Jayjazz
Jayjazz

yummmy and healthy

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

We had the set menu which was soup, salad then a polenta and tofu cheese bakes whith pasta, tempura and steamed veg. It was great, bit too much food for me my meat eating partner enjoyed and he normally moans at the more healthy vegan food. I bought a spring rool to take for my lunch the next day which was crumbled tofu, vegan cheese and spices, this was delicious although the pudding I bought was some sort of chocolate and fruit mousses was very bland. I would definately reccoment this place though.

Pros: tasty, healthy
spitz
spitz

awesome!

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

today we took the meal of the day: the predish included a french salad with smoked tofu cheese. the main course was a natural marinated seitan steak in basil garlic and parsley. pesto with tofunaise and ketchup, brown rice and amaranth with soya sauce and gomashio, as well as tempura vegetables.
it was pure vegan pleasure. the best seitan we have had.

Pros: excellent food, good taste combination, good price
bobbyrudy
bobbyrudy

trust the local

2 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2011

Once, this was the best vege/macro restaurant in Split, but the quality and quantity of food has been decreasing while the prices have increased. I am not sure if the frying oil and some other ingredients are whole and organic. They are chaotic and slow on Saturdays when they have many people to attend. That well-being feeling that should be present in a healthy food rest. has gone. Although, sandwiches, desserts and other fast bites are still the best item. The menu is very blend and uniform after you become a frequent visitor as I am.

Pros: desserts, sandwiches, soups
Cons: no reservations at Saturday accepted, blend food, to oily tempuras
Beckle
Beckle

Great food

4 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2010

We had lunch and dinner here on our overnight stay in Split. Only the set menu was available but food was lovely, very tasty and wholesome.

It is a little bit hidden away which I suspect is why it is not always getting the clientele it deserves.

Pros: Wholesome food, Portion sizes, Juices
Cons: Location
abbybarker
abbybarker

World's best sandwich

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2010

Imagine my delight when I found myself staying less than a minutes walk frmo here, quite by accident! The food here is lovely, the daily changing set menu is perfect, a lot of food and a good combination of flavours. The sandwiches are the best in the world! Huge (as big as my head) for 17kn upwards they are perfect to take away for a picnic lunch. Well worth a visit.

Pros: Value for money, Best sandwiches ever, Friendly staff
Cons: Opening hours
sglcklch
sglcklch

Simply EXCELLENT!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2010

We visited this restaurant twice (2 days in a row!) during a several day trip to Split last summer. Cheap, healthy, delicious food in a spotlessly clean setting. Very enjoyable and memorable meals!

Pros: cheap, delicious, healthy
Fanny
Fanny

Fantastic

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2009

We ate there two times, first day we tried the daily vegan menu wich icluded pumpkin soup, green salad with seaweed, a mash of something tasty, tofulasagna, and more. It was great. The other day we had a tofu fishstick sandwich with soymayo, crepes filled with tofu and something green. They have desserts as well, we tried both the amaranth pudding and the chocolate ice cream with succes.

Pros: good value, excellent food, big portions
Mary-Louise
Mary-Louise

Great Produce

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2009

Makro-Vega was a little tricky to find but we asked around and found it eventually. It was worth the find as well, the food was so fresh and it was such a refreshing change from eating plain salads. We order the daily special which included tofu stuffed zucchini and the highlight sesame encrusted eggplant. The staff where very friendly and the menus were in English. They had a great selection of vegan desserts, I was so full by the time I finished my lunch I wasn't able to try them. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

aliceuberalles
aliceuberalles

Work In Progress

2 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2009

I've eaten here many times and find it disappointing, especially for the price. Since it's one of only two vegetarian restaurants in town, I feel it's important to support it. However, like the other reviewer, I find the food really bland and sometimes just plain weird. For example, their seitan sandwich consists of cold bread, a dry slice of seitan, lettuce and a pickle. Not exactly exciting. Another dish was a crepe stuffed with ricotta, beans and spinach--but the whole thing was sweet, like dessert sweet. The salad was made up of arugula, tomatoes and chopped cabbage but the dressing was plain white vinegar. It was like acidic on top of acidic. Overall, I think the restaurant has the right idea. They just need to experiment with seasoning, balance of flavors and focus more on cooking solid good food. I will continue to patronize it every once in a while to see if it changes, but if the food doesn't improve, I'll have to stop.

Pros: nice decor
Cons: hit and miss, bland
  • Maximilian Maximilian

What kind of support is this, writting bunch of lies abouth people who are trying to protect animals and give people nice and healthy organic food ?!?!?
    The place is not dissapointing and the food is not weird. You are! And their food, it is delicious!
    Max

Riikka
Riikka

Great take-out

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2009

Cheap and tasty take-out options (tofu and seitan sandwiches, pizza etc.). The sit-in menu was also worth the price. Serves no alcohol which was a bit of a letdown (we'd wanted a glass of wine).

Pros: English menu, Cheap, Take-out
Cons: No alcohol
Aspen
Aspen

Wonderful Find in Split

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2009

It takes some time to find Makro Vega but it is well worth the effort. Our Hotel staff highly recommended Makro Vega and said it is popular with locals. You can order takeout or sit for full service. Every dish we had was delicious and fresh juices were wonderful. Makro Vega was perfectly clean and the the seating area was very comfortable.

Pros: Very clean, Great food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Limited hours, Plan on time to find
veganaurora
veganaurora

Tasty and varied food

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2009

My partner and I visited here in Summer 08. We had a bit of an adventure finding the restaurant ending up quite lost down the side streets after the tourist office pointed us in a very different direction! When we arrived they had just closed, but we were so sad and dejected (and hungry) that the very friendly women chefs took pity on us and we were able to buy some of the food that was left over and take it away with us. Although we would have loved to have eaten in the restaurant we were well consoled tucking into food that was varied and delicious whilst sitting on Split's marina area in the sunshine.

Pros: Worth it when you get there, Lots of different tastes, Friendly and kind staff
Cons: Bit tricky to find
Michelle Stoddart
Michelle Stoddart

Nice option for a vegan but lacking

3 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

After spending 7 days on the island of Brac (limited vegan options: salad, pizza, pasta) I was really pleased to get to Split to go to Makro Veg. The location is quite cool, a little out of the centre but easy enough to find when you have a map. The decor is lovely, minimal and modern - very nice and very clean. The service was friendly, we went for the daily menu at their suggestion. It's a lot of food at a very reasonable price, very nicely presented too. Nice, wholesome food with lots of great elements and lots of variation on the plate. I was so pleased to have some tofu, tempeh, beans after a week of no protein! However, the food wasn't very hot (maybe there's a macrobiotic element to the restaurant?) and I found it was lacking in flavour. I like a lot of chili, spice, garlic etc.. and was hoping to get this at Makro Vega so I was a little disappointed. Saying that, no other meals in Croatia had much garlic, spice either. My boyfriend isn't vegetarian and he noticed the same thing for all is meat, fish dishes so maybe that's the norm for Croatia. I would go back to Makro Vega again but would try something else on the menu in hopes of getting a little more flavour. Nice find in Split.

Pros: Healthy Cuisine, Friendly Staff, Reasonable Prices
Cons: A little bland
Davidvegetarian
Davidvegetarian

Makro Veg Review

4 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2008

Makro Vega is a bright star among the boring pizza and ice cream restaraunts of Croatia.
Generous portions, good service and fair prices.
I found them willing to do substitutions on the 'daily menu.'
I was glad to find them and ate there every day I was in Split.

Pros: Generous Portions, Variety
Cons: Hours
tjobb
tjobb

An oasis

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2008

After 8 days of pasta and pizza it was a relief that Makro Vega was open. The staff is great, the food is great and the location is great. The opening hours are not that great unfortunately and it's a shame that they don't serve beer or wine... But we will definitely return to Makro Vega if we are in Split again!

Pros: Tasty, healthy, friendly
Cons: No alcohol
Claude
Claude

Excellent food

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2008

Fabulous restaurant. Very clean. English speaking. Not far from the port. Well worth a visit if you want vegan or vegetarian food. The set menus are superb, as are the deserts. We went two days in succession.

Pros: excellent food, Cleanliness, Helpful staff
phil
phil

Superb Split veggie grub.

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2007

Really great food and atmosphere,has veggie written all over it, proper cooking.If in Split,veggie or not, visit and enjoy.

Pros: food, service, great value
Cons: no go for wheel chairs, difficult to find,, too small
hume-walls
hume-walls

Delicious!

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2007

My husband and I are in Split for 5 months and this restaurant was such a relief. Finding vegan food in Croatia is hard, but finding vegan food that is not pizza or pasta is almost impossible. This restaurant offers 2 daily selections (either vegetarian or vegan) as well as sandwiches, pastries, and cakes to take away. It is always exciting to go for lunch at Makro Vega because the menu changes daily. As other reviews have said, you get a huge plate of food and soup for a very reasonable price. The only con is the hours. I wish they were open later for dinner, but they can prepare the food to-go so you can take it home to eat later, which I often do.

Delicious food, very friendly staff, and excellent value make this a must for anyone visiting Split. I even got my non-veg friends hooked!

Pros: fantastic food, friendly staff, generous portions
Cons: hours of operation
daf187
daf187

happy staff!

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2006

a group of six of us plied in there and the staff couldn't have been nicer. they weren't officially open, but sat us down, made us tea and offered a selection of pre-prepared vegan snacks and treats whilst they hurried around seting up for the day. great tofu sandwiches and the best carob cake i've ever had. happy to explain what was vegan, too.

Pros: cheap, takeaway or sit-down, really friendly
Miru
Miru

Yum!

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2006

Great place! Meal came with soup & bread for a starter and then an enormous plate of food for a main course. Baked tofu, salad, spinach rizotto, cooked veggies, really nicely spiced adzuki dish, etc. Quite filling, quite good. Lots of stuff for take away as well.

Pros: Good value, huge portions, Great food, Very nice staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Makro Vega: