M.A.K.E. Raw Cuisine

Opened Sept 2012, this is a gourmet living cuisine restaurant guided by chef and author Matthew Kenney. Located on the 3rd floor of the Santa Monica Place mall Marketplace with high ceiling and open space, M.A.K.E. also features the Matthew Kenney Culinary, a raw food culinary school training aspired cooks to become raw chefs. Food is raw and vegan except for honey and bee pollen in a few dishes (ask). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, All Raw, Gourmet, Organic, American, Fusion, Juice bar, Take-out
395 Santa Monica Place (downtown)
Santa Monica, California 90401

radtechg9
radtechg9

Excellent High Quality Raw

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2014

Even my omnivore boyfriend approved! We drove out of our way on a road trip to this place and the Black pepper kelp noodle alone made the drive worth it. Like other reviewers I will pre - warn you against ordering too many dishes just because you want to try them. I couldn't eat for a day after having the above kelp noodle dish, cheese plate and nori rolls with a little help from my boyfriend. Presentation and taste were excellent. This was my first time having high quality raw 'cheese' and was pretty amazed. Also amazing on the cheese platter was the mustard concoction, fruit spread and marinated I don't know what (Maybe onion? ) that came with the cheese and crackers. All components together made for a delightful blend. These people seriously know what they are doing. Yes it was expensive but compared to other raw food I've had just about in line since I consider this 'gourmet'.

Pros: Taste, Creativity
Cons: Spendy
Chia
Chia

Great Flavors

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

I had read about the opening of this raw restaurant on happycow went to try it 3 times already. The food has been good each time. Here's my M.A.K.E. Raw Cuisine review update.

The restaurant is located on the rooftop food area of the Santa Monica Place Mall. It's inside the marketplace which is a large open space. No doors or windows segregating the restaurant from the other shops inside the marketplace. So the feel is rather casual than upscale. Nonetheless, the experience at M.A.K.E. felt very gourmet.

It features a bar area with high chairs plus natural wooden tables for seating. Candlelight warmly lit each table in the evening.

I've tasted and share many of the dishes, from starter to main course to dessert. I especially enjoyed the savory and slightly sweet barlett pear soup. The nori rolls were refreshing and delicious. The Korean style kelp noodle bowl was an amazing re-creation of the cooked dish, sans meat and heat. The rainbow carrots tasted awesome with the yummy cashew yoghurt. My friend's favorites were the gnocchi, the walnut chocolate cake, and the apple pie desserts. But actually, everything so far has quite incredible.

The food flavors are subtle and sometimes mysterious. The dishes are not something one can easily replicate at home. I could tell that a lot of creativity, preparation, and labor-intensive techniques were involved in making this kind of food.

This is gourmet raw dining at its best. While the portions might seem on the small side, the food is filling (nuts, seeds, creams).

The only suggestion I would offer to those who would like to try M.A.K.E. is try a few dishes but not too many at once. With the combination of nuts and oils and sweets, you might find it very filling and even a bit bloat (I did this, so I'm giving you a heads up).

Pros: excellent flavors, gourmet, fun to try
Cons: don't combine too much
sglcklch
sglcklch

Would've been even better in a different setting

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

Walking into an empty restaurant is never a good sign, and it was exactly what happened when my partner and I arrived for dinner. At the beginning, I wondered if I had made the wrong choice of eating here, but after having the first dish I was just flabbergasted as to why there weren't more people dining!

We ordered five dishes to share; everything was superb and exquisitely presented:

Rye crisps with dips and radishes - Excellent starter. Who knew radishes could be so tasty??

Kimchi dumplings - Very creative, refreshing taste, and gorgeous presentation. Although I would've liked the kimchi to come through more.

Nori rolls - Simple but deliciously clean tasting.

Tacos - Good but a bit hard to tackle... The shells didn't cut too well and the cabbage ended up falling all over the plate.

Walnut chocolate cake - Highlight of the meal, so good that we literally had to fight for every bite!

Service was nice and friendly, but that could be partly due to the fact that we were the only table there... Yes, it wasn't cheap, but I firmly believe that all good things come with a price. The only reason I rated this place a four instead of a five is because of the setting. Despite the hip and stylish d├ęcor, it's got a bit of a food-court feel to it as it is on the top floor of a mall inside a section with a bunch of other eateries, and its open-air design adds to that. Having haute cuisine in a casual environment like this just seemed a little disconcerting to me. That said, I'd happily revisit if I come to Santa Monica again as they have a seasonal menu that changes periodically.

Pros: food, presentation, service
Cons: food court-ish location
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

What raw food should be, absolultey amazing

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2012

I have to admit I've taken a few cruises past M.A.K.E. and read the menu, not brave enough to give it a stab before this weekend. This top notch eatery & culinary school has failed to receive the crowds it deserves and the rather empty posh furnishing and streamlined modern atmosphere seemed rather surreal this Friday night in comparison to the culinary delights being served. Is the word not out? I know its a new restaurant, but my experience was obviously on par with other glowing reviews, but where were the lines of people waiting to be served art as food and food as art? I'm the opposite of a raw vegan, I cook everything and eat only starch. I went in thinking I was going to hate it, KNOWING I was going to hate it... Standing at the menu looking over the items the owner walked up to us and said "are you interested in a healthy vegan dinner tonight" haha, he asked The Healthy Vegans if we'd like a healthy vegan dinner! "Can you do it oil free?" ... "Certainly, he replied" We started with Pineapple Jalapeno Cilantro Wine Cocktails that pleasantly burned the lips after each sip. Once again, while I typically run from wine cocktails, these were superb. The heirloom carrot salad with cashew yogurt was beyond compare, the way the carrots were shaved make them beautiful, fun and delicious to eat. The star of the show was the Nori rolls @$14 a plate. The substitution of Jicama over rice made them fresh, light and crisp while completely filling. MAKE has made a believer out of me. this is the finest vegan restaurant in Los Angeles. Remember they validate the valet stand, which is much less expensive than the parking garage! The menu is pricey, but when you consider the time and craftsmanship that goes into each plate you know those hard working chefs are earning every bit of it.

Pros: nori , wine coctails, free valet
Cons: pricey but worth it
mimikirk
mimikirk
  • raw

M.A.K.E.

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2012

I've eaten at raw restaurants all over the world, and was invited to M.A.K.E. Matthew Kenney's new raw food restaurant for a tasting. DON'T MISS THIS RESTAURANT. The food was AWESOM, every dish better than the next. This food is gourmet, light, beautifully presented, and any foodie would enjoy eating there raw or not. The restaurant is modern, with a tasting tasting bar. Everyone working there seems to love what they are doing, and happy to be working at M.A.K.E. They all ride their bikes to work, so they walk their talk (or should i say "ride" their talk" regarding healthy food, and healthy environment. Matthew's Culinary Academy is right next door, with a huge glass window so you can watch the students learning how to prepare raw foods. WELL DONE MATTHEW. CONGRATULATIONS.

• Chia Chia

I agree, the food was excellent.

kenvegan
kenvegan

When 5 Stars Isn't Enough

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2012

I had one of the best meals of my life last night at a private pre-launch party for a new raw food restaurant called M.A.K.E. For those who feel that raw foods may be healthy, but are often lacking in flavor are in for a treat of a lifetime.

M.A.K.E is the latest addition to the Santa Monica Place third floor space called "The Market".

The detail in each of the dishes we ordered was extraordinary, and the quality of ingredients was unsurpassable. We started with a delicious bartlett pear soup drizzled with juniper oil. The flavors were so delicate and intricate, that even adding a drop of olive oil to this soup would have negated many of the more delicate flavors. The buckwheat toast crackers with smoked cashew spread were equally delightful. Washing down these appetizers with fresh coconut water was a wonderful treat.

The next course consisted of several intricately flavored and textured salads.
There were wonderful surprises around every corner with each salad bite. Like the appetizers, the flavors were perfectly balanced and distinct, while every element worked together in perfect harmony to provide much more than just a salad, but a memorable experience.

The entrees were the some of the best I have ever tasted. The market tomato, zucchini, macadamia, Santa Barbara pistachio, basil dish (none of the dishes were named on this special menu) resembled a "raw lasagna" that I have had at several raw restaurants, but M.A.K.E.'s chefs have taken this dish to an entirely new level. There was such a variety of unique flavors and textures that I couldn't help but eat extra slowly to savor each and every bite.

Another one of the entrees, called "red beet, watercress, hazelnut, meyer lemon" resembled beautifully prepared and presented red gnocci,. The subtle flavors and smooth texture of this dish created the gourmet version of this perfect comfort food.

Just as it felt like our meal could not get any better, a chocolate walnut cake, licorice pear, fennel, and sasafrass dessert was placed in front of me. I had to hold myself back from wanting to devour this masterpiece. As with the earlier courses, this final touch was as good as it gets. Elegantly prepared and presented, and the complex flavors created a divine symphony in my mouth.

M.A.K.E presented us with some of the best food I have ever experienced, and the elegantly detailed preparation and food presentation bring raw food cuisine to an entirely new level of perfection.

Pros: Flavors, Preparation, Presentation
  • Chia Chia

Exciting food. I, too, liked the pear soup.

Dear Owner and Manager of M.A.K.E. Raw Cuisine: