Catering service only; its restaurant had shut down in summer 2012. more-less

maggieag
maggieag

Worth the wait

3 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

I read other reviews and decided that despite a listed opening time of 12:00, I'd wait until 12:30 before heading over. Thankfully I waited, because they were still closed and told me to come back at 1! Since I was not in a hurry I did and then I ordered a tempeh sandwich. Like other reviewers said, the bread was a bit much. However the sandwich was delicious and there was some yummy sauce on it that I can't identify. If you have free time and are willing to be flexible, this is a good lunch stop. Don't go if you're on a tight schedule, as the hours are definitely unpredictable!

Pros: good food, friendly
Cons: unpredictable hours
Aya
Aya

Yummy food and cakes but the place is very small

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

The food and cakes I had were tasty, but the place is very small.. It's good for a quick snack, but I wouldn't choose it for eating out with friends, as seating is a bit uncomfortable and there's not much space at all. Also, there was no bathroom, so we had to spend some time around the cafe looking for one, which was really annoying.

4 cows, because it's vegan. It would only get two cows if it wasn't.

Pros: Tasty food and cakes
Cons: No bathroom, Very small, Uncomfortable seating
OandG
OandG

Very good, friendly and affordable

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2011

Go for it ! you won't regret it, small terrasse to enjoy the good food !

Take It Back
Take It Back

Great food.... if open.

3 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

I love this place: great folks, their food is very good, and the prices are super low. I am not much of a fan of their cakes, but the sandwiches are great!

Pros: great food, great staff, cheap
Cons: never open, unrealiable hours
Georgina
Georgina

Excellent little place - especially for cakes!

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2011

This is a lovely cosy little cafe with a very relaxed, friendly atmosphere. The food and drinks were lovely and fresh, it has an espresso machine, and loads of handmade cakes that are *delicious*. Unfortunately they ran out of the cake we loved so we couldn't take any home so we got a free little cookie - it's that sort of genuinely nice place with lovely staff.

Pros: Excellent food quality, Great choice of food, Good value
Cons: No toilet, Not too much seating
NotBuyingIt!
NotBuyingIt!

Delicious!

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2010

I first came to this place when I was on holiday in Berlin. Needless to say that the saddest part about ending my vacation was that I had to wait until I moved to Berlin to enjoy the delicious, homemade and unforgettable food I have eaten at Maja's Deli. Now that I live in Berlin, I eat there as much as possible (everyday if I could), but I have to eat at home sometimes. My husband's and mine favorites are the struesel, curry, lasagne, avacado sandwich, soups, cappucino and way too much to list all of them here! My husband and I are not fluent in German but always get the top treatment when we visit.

Pros: Delicious food, Freindly staff, Completely VEGAN
Cons: Not open 24/7
cmayr
cmayr

sandwich heaven

4 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2010

A very small and not overly comfy bistro in Prenzlauer Berg. Twice we have had the pleasure to order the outstanding sandwiches at this vegan place. They rock. Absolutely. The perfect snack, super fresh and almost a full meal, that's how big they are. Available with tofu, smoked tofu, avocado and other toppings.
The cakes look super-tasty, the service is friendly and the dachshund chained to the central heating is a pleasant companion.
All in all recommended...

Pros: fresh ingredients, amiable bistro dog, friendly
Cons: small, atmosphere a bit lacking
Psychonaut
Psychonaut

Never again!

2 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2010

We were there at 12 o'clock, when the restaurant was supposed to open. At 5 past 12 we knocked at the door and a woman opened to tell us that it will take a little longer because the service was not there yet. She locked the door again and we waited in the cold and rainy weather. At 10 past 12 a woman came, we greeted her and wanted to tell her we also had to wait. She only replied with "I work here", blocked the communication we wanted to start, ignored our talking and went in, closing and locking the door behind her again. No sorry whatsoever. At 20 past 12 we decided to leave...
Never before have we been treated this unfriendly at any restaurant. Never again!

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Do not open at time, Unfriendly
  • wildfang wildfang

They have recently changed their opening time to 12:20, maybe that explains why you had to wait. I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience, though. Maybe give it another try when you get the chance. Greetings!

• Psychonaut Psychonaut

Thank you, wildfang. The opening time was declared as 12:00 on the door, so this was not the reason.
    Greetings!

Lynn Howe
Lynn Howe

chocolate prescription

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2010

The ladies at Majas provided me with the perfect strong black coffee and equally strong chocolate brownie at exactly the right moment. I loved the location, the clientelle were entertaining (switching from German to English for the particularly outrageous parts of their conversation was very helpful) and the food delivered to the table next to me looked absolutley delicious. I would definitely go back to this place - in fact I did, only to find it doesn't open until 12pm. Make the trip if you can.

Pros: Choice of 100% vegan cakes, Outside space, Warm and friendly staff
Cons: Nothing
matrosin
matrosin

great vegan cakes

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

nice people, good ambiente, food is okay...but the cakes are awesome! fresh and homemade. try them.

hack_man
hack_man

Very Pleasant in Prenzlauer

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2010

A delightful place with great window seats and outside seating area to soak up the Prenzlauer Berg atmosphere. The food here is ready to go, they usually have 2 or 3 hot main dishes and a soup of th day it's they're all vegan. You can take out in containers if desired. The vegan cakes are delicious and go down well with a soya chai or 'soyaccino'. Pleasant staff, good location and a nice little place to check out. Not gourmet or amazing but what do you want for a quick lunch or afternoon meal.

Pros: 100% vegan, cakes, outside seating
nspanee
nspanee

simple, taste, perfect....

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2010

hmmm it was 5past 12 n it wasnt open.... hmmm should we wait or should we go. as it was a sunny day n we're not in a hurry we placed ourselves on the sweet chairs outside the tiny restaurant. at 10 past the door opened n a smiling happy ladie opened up. we had some lentil soup with radish sprouts n many more things in it which was very very delicious. then a lasagne n sweet potatoe with veggies n rice all very delicious. the choice of cakes n cupcakes is big and looks so appetizing, we just had no "space" to try them all... but well just go for a small appetizer next time to load up on desserts ;)

Pros: tasty food
  • nspanee nspanee

were there yesterday for dinner. this time she was perfectly ready for us ;) and as nice as last time. had another soup this time and i have to admit im a souplover and it hit my tastebuds on the scale 10 out of 10 again. main course was fine and made us rolling out of that place. cakes are a must so we took 2 home as for a "bedtime sweetie" how we say

Ava Odomena
Ava Odomena

So yes, I'm a fan.

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2010

And given I'm a fan, this review is going to be positive. I like everything. The women running it, the pastries, cookies and cakes, the soups and dishes, I even like the uncomfortable seats on the inside. I like the fact that in Majas Deli, vegan cuisine stands for itself without meat replacers. Not that I don't like meat replacers like seitan, I just don't like them in vegan eateries. Not as in every single dish being forced to look like an average, non-vegan dish.

I love chatting with the owners when the big lunch rush is over. I eat way too much food when I'm there. So yes, it's small, it doesn't have a WC (the place next door lets you use theirs for 50ct) and the inside chairs are uncomfortable, especially when you're hanging out there as long as I do.

But I'm a fan, yes I am. If I was only there, right now:-)

Pros: Sweet Dishes, Fresh Menu every day, lovable characters
Cons: no wc, it's 9km away from where I live
wildfang
wildfang

One of my favourite chill-out places in Berlin

4 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2009

Mayas Deli is a small cafe with a soup of the day and two dishes of the day such as lasagna or curry. The soups are really nice but I find that the main dishes are often a bit overcooked. There are very tasty sandwiches (I recommend the one with tempeh) and fresh smoothies.
There is always a choice of different cakes, muffins and cookies out of which I can truly recommend the chocolate cake and the chocolate cookie.
There is always relaxing music in the background and the staff is very friendly and helpful indeed. It's just nice to sit by the window reading a book and having a cup of tea and a piece of cake.
The prices are a bit high I think - for two people having lunch (2x), one soup and one piece of cake we paid 18€ once. But then again the food is organic which unfortunately has a certain price.

Pros: decent food, good chillout, friendly staff
Cons: no toilet, quite expensive
Elven
Elven

Muffin Heaven :)

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

Maybe they changed owner? I read the old reviews and cannot agree.. I find the ladies behind the counter to be nice and helpful. The food (pastries, cakes and pies, but also curries and pasta) is good, notably the pies, and the muffins the best I have ever eaten in my life, period! They actually got me interested in vegan cooking, when I was "just" a vegetarian. The old reviews don't do this place justice; check it out for yourselves!

Pros: The muffins, the pies, the pasta
Cons: Closed on sundays, uncomfortable seats, very small
fuzzyvegan
fuzzyvegan

Favorite vegan desserts!!

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2009

great little dessert shop with some lunch options. i really recommend going here for some coffee and cake. The lady at the counter is always so nice! I don't know if she's Maja but I like to think she is. I want to live in this shop with all the wonderful smelling pies and cakes. I just wish there was some more comfortable seating. It's comfy outside when it's nice but the stools inside don't really do it for me.

Pros: Great Dessert, nice staff, ALL VEGAN!
Cons: not so comfy seating
lysi
lysi

Great for food "on the go" or afternoon coffe&cake

3 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2009

We stopped by for a quick lunch, which turned out rather longer than expected. The menu is limited but changes frequently -In our case at 3p. The menu was just changing and we ended up waiting about 40 minutes for the enchiladas to be ready (we were initially told they would be ready in about 10 minutes). We were in no real hurry though and it gave me the chance to finish my sandwich (warm, smoked tofu and some lettuce on German bread) as well as the tiramisu, which was delicious. In fact, the cake selection was bigger than the savoury food and next time in Berlin I will definitely drop by for afternoon Kaffee und Kuchen (coffee and cake).
I found the lady friendly and while we chatted in German, she also spoke fluent English and translated the menu for my companion.

Pros: Fresh, healthy food, Large selection of cakes, Friendly staff
Cons: No WC
Reuclai
Reuclai

gut

4 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2009

It was good, even very good. The cherry tart was amazing, no toilets because too small. But a cafe to try.

Pros: good food, good value, friendly staff
karl19
karl19

Vegan cakes

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2009

As always, nice with completely vegan places. Food is varied and has always been tasty; perhaps a little on the expensive side, but then again, it can't be simple running a small vegan imbiss.

Maja's Deli has a special place in my heart, as they made our wedding cake. We even had a great tasting session before, with my wife and sister-in-law, where they'd made a variety of tasters and we could try them all! The experiment with wholewheat flour might not have been completely successful (one layer was very dense), but on the whole it was a great experience.

Pros: Tasty cakes, Wedding cakes!, Friendly
Cons: Bit expensive
rgould
rgould

Go elsewhere

2 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2008

Had the canneloni with salad. Salad was boring, canneloni was mostly just tomato paste and noodles. There was other stuff there, but I couldn't taste it over the tomato and salt. Couldn't actually finish because it was too salty. Overpriced (prices not displayed). Desserts looked really good, but prices were also not displayed so I didn't bother. Drink menu is small - mostly just coffee and tea. No WC. Uncomfortable seating. Annoying music.

Pros: close to other places
Cons: no wc, overpriced
tilberlin
tilberlin

fresh and yummie

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2008

great salads, soups, sweets. during summer, it's nice to chill on the outdoor space on cool Pappelallee, and inside there is always an interesting magazin (Gala!) to read while savouring a dish.

Dear Owner and Manager of Majas Deli: