Maize 'N' Manna Wholefoods

Cafe and store in downtown. Changing menu features a soup or stew or two, salad, and muffins. Sells bulk organic foods. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery
40 High St (downtown)
Westerly, Rhode Island 02891

Mon-Fri 8:00am-6:00pm, Sat 8:00am-3:00pm

First Review by mark m braunstein

best !!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2015

What an amazing find. Nice people too. Very nice and cozy, rustic atmosphere. Very high-quality vegan cuisine.

Rob Rasta
Rob Rasta

Hidden Gem

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2015

Found this nice organic vegan/ vegetarian store thanks to this wonderful site. I am doing research as I am looking to open my own similar café. I enter to find Susan the owner working away on goodies for an event in the park the following day. She was extremely personable and being the owner/chef, do everything person, took the time to answer my questions and talk to me. The place has a cozy open feeling with plenty of bulk items sold by the ounce as well as a couple of small tables in the front if you chose to eat there. She is a "take out" café which is fine with the park so close to eat at. The menu changes daily so either call ahead or check her Facebook page for the daily offerings. The food was fresh and delicious made in her very small kitchen, she prepares juices fresh to order also and is gluten free. Prices are very reasonable for organic vegan food of this quality. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone passing through or willing to search for parking.

Pros: Price, Quality, The owner
Cons: Parking, Seating, limited menu

A tiny vegan oasis

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2015

I was on a road trip with a friend, passing this part of Rhode Island, and I half-jokingly searched for vegan restaurants in the area. I honestly didn't expect to find any. But suddenly this place appeared! A vegan oasis in downtown Westerly. I was excited!

Before arriving there, I checked the daily menu on their Facebook page. It seemed to be changing every day, but always vegan, and consistently interesting and appetizing-sounding.

As I entered the place I started to doubt that it's actually a "restaurant". It looked like a small shop, selling various beans and grains. (Which it really is.) Had the (very unique) name not matched the app, I would have thought I arrived at the wrong location. As I came up to the counter, I noticed a small printout, listing various food. It matched the daily menu from the Facebook page! I was indeed at the right place :-)

I asked if it's at all possible to eat there. Our road trip was far from over and I didn't want to eat this food in a car while driving. I was told that indeed I can, as there are a couple of small tables near the entrance by the window. We ordered a soup, tempeh with quinoa and various vegetables, and also nachos with guacamole (see photos). After taking our order, the shopkeeper turned around, pulled out a small mixer and started making the guacamole. I could watch the whole preparation, which was nice. Similarly with the tempeh, I could see him prepare all the vegetables, and then add quinoa from a pot that must have been prepared earlier that day. The soup was already made, so he just poured that into a cup.

Everything tasted great and was very fresh. Given the preparation process it felt closer to home cooking than to a typical restaurant. I would just warn that the portion size isn't the biggest, so if you arrive super hungry, order accordingly. This is actually great for having a good lunch without the (sadly typical) overeating. Again, consult the photos posted here.

The two staff members whom I've interacted with there were both very friendly. Even by US standards - I'm not saying that just because I'm a European who is not as used to friendly service. They gave tips on what is particularly tasty and when they saw me get water from a provided filtered tap, offered to bring some ice from the cooking area. It was a hot June day, so that was nice.

Overall the atmosphere was very homely. The place was basically part small shop, part someone's home (or at least it seemed like it). Sitting there, enjoying my tempeh I couldn't help but contemplate how being vegan brings you to all these places you normally wouldn't go to. There I was, driving through Rhode Island, and instead of doing for a burger or pizza of questionable quality I found myself in someone's home/shop, watching them make me guacamole in a blender.

Pros: Completely vegan, Super-friendly staff, Homely atmosphere
Cons: Only a few tables available - it's more of a take-, Difficult to find nearby parking, but that's just

mark m braunstein
mark m braunstein

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

This takeout restaurant defies all the odds against its remaining in business. While only next door in bordering Westerly, RI, a scant 20 miles from the New London area where I reside, I never heard of it until it was open for more than a year, and such lack of publicity is one odd against it. Its hardly memorable name is somewhat odd and difficult to spell out in your search engine. Its location in the center of labyrinthine downtown Westerly where driving is challenging and parking is scarce is another odd, especially for takeout, because you may spend more time finding parking and walking to and from your parked car than actually placing your order and walking out with your meal. Its limited menu of only two soups, two salads, two entrees, and two muffins is yet another strike against its survival. The heaviest blow of all is that its menu is all vegan. Repeat, totally vegan! (And gluten-free.) All vegan in of all places Westerly, who would have thought? Yet what assures its continued success is what counts: the FOOD. It all is wholesome, delicious, and colorful. Considering the modest prices, the portions are generous. And the menu changes daily, therefore variety abounds, just not on the same day. So check its DeFacebook page for its menu listing, call in your order, have your passenger jump out of the car to pick up the order while you drive around the block, which will be a very long and circuitous block, and then head for a picnic in nearby Wilcox Park. Oh and don’t forget to pickup your passenger, who after all has the picnic basket.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 27, 2014

Pros: all VEGAN, inexpensive, wholesome, colorful, delicious
Cons: take-out not sit-down, labyrinthine downtown Westerly

Dear Owner and Manager of Maize 'N' Manna Wholefoods: