Maitreya Social

Bristol vegetarian restaurant. Also operates now as a bar with hand pumps for veggie beers and cider. Venue for events and exhibitions to Bristol's diverse East Side. Previously named Cafe Maitreya. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine
89 St Mark's Road, Easton, Bristol, UK
Bristol, England BS5 6HY
0117-9510100

OpenTue-Sun 10am-11pm, closed Mon.

First Review by sparkly_ruth
greenknittinggal
greenknittinggal

Really lovely evening

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

Everything was wonderful: accommodating service and cosy atmosphere, delicious, innovative flavours and excellent value.
Location slightly out of the way but worth making the trip for. Really friendly when we arrived. Excellent food - cauliflower pakoras with mango sauce, warm salad (HIGHLY recommended - do not be fooled into thinking this gorgeous dish will be boring) and quinoa dolmades with red cabbage and chocolate torte with blood orange sorbet and apple cinnamon strudel with Christmas pudding ice cream. Everything was delicious and would definitely recommend going for three courses. At £40 for three courses and one wine, I reckon this is fantastic value for really high quality food.

Pros: Service, Atmosphere, Vegan options
Cons: Tricky to find
Ezekiel
Ezekiel

Outstanding food, location and atmosphere

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

Maitreya Social is a vegetarian / vegan restaurant, very popular in the evenings (they recommend you book a table in advance, and I can see why - since the restaurant seems to always be full!), serving breakfast, lunch and dinner menus. The morning and afternoon menu does not change a lot (although the choice is good), but it's the evening menu you really want! Delicious inventive meals, the menu changes often, the floor (and kitchen) stuff are really friendly and helpful. More often than not the vegetarian dishes can be modified to be vegan.

The atmosphere is great (in part due tot he location, which is very diverse Easton), and to add to that Maitreya runs art exhibitions, and you can buy the art.

Probably the most highly recommended vegan place in Bristol!

Pros: Great food, Wide selection, Fantastic atmosphere
Cons: Bit pricey, but really worth it
sXe_22
sXe_22

outstanding

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

this restaurant is not cheap, but all the money is well-spent. you will probably not guzzle yourself, but you come home sated anyway. very good taste, lovely dish presentation and perfect environment for a romantic dinner. i recommend it!

Steffi Giraffe
Steffi Giraffe

High quality dining - impressive desserts

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

Maitreya is a cafe but apart from the well-lit, relaxed surroundings you wouldn't really think it. The food is restaurant quality and, in my opinion, reaches fine dining standards.

There were plenty of vegan options on the menu so it was great to have a choice. Having only been once perhaps I cannot give an accurate representation of the main courses but the desserts were the real winner. My boyfriend and I couldn't choose which to have so decided to share two, the chocolate cranberry brownie and the baklava. The brownie was gooey and rich and decadent, just as a good brownie should be, and came with wonderful "creamy" vanilla vegan ice cream and raspberry reduction. The baklava really stood out though as it was so different: beautifully presented and combining the delicately sweet nut flavours with passionfruit sauce and chocolate ganache. I am salivating just thinking about it.

I wish I lived nearer to be able to go back soon!

Pros: Good price, Refined cuisine, Inventive
Cons: Could be fully vegan
Han_The_Vegan
Han_The_Vegan

Perfect cosy environment for a Vegan date!

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

Been here a couple of times, is so relaxing being able to have a choice of food of the menu rather than politely asking for a dish to be altered!

Intimate little setting, very helpful and friendly staff.

Not cheap, but definitely worth it!

Pros: Fancy Vegan food!, Array of Vegan Pudding!, Lovely Ecover handwash in toilets!

lu22
lu22

amazing food

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

This is some of the nicest veggie food I have ever eaten- a definite step up from the usual and even my meat obsessed other half LOVED it. Great service and quality :)

Pros: Quality of food, Choice on menu
Tinkerbell25
Tinkerbell25

Excellant food and service

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

I went to Maitreya for an evening meal earlier this week. There were a number of vegan options on the menu. I had three courses - all of which I enjoyed. The food was delicious and well-presented. The atmosphere was relaxed which I also liked and the service excellent. I don't live in Bristol but would definitely go back to Maitreya if I return.

Pros: Lovely food, Great service, Lots of vegan options
super8J
super8J

Relaxed cafe experience

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

Took the (exclusively vegan) family here for brunch and we all had the all-day breakfast. This disappeared down our greedy gullets at a great rate of knots, with our 18-month old loving the beans on toast of course. Perhaps I should have insisted we tried some of the wider lunch offerings, but this was just right for us - very tasty. A relaxed cafe in a groovy area with suitably bohemian staff and clientele. Well worth visiting for a chillout if you are a local, though maybe not a 90 mile round trip like we took (though free parking on street was appreciated)!

Pros: Relaxed, Tasty food, Funky
magicsteven
magicsteven

good breakfast

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

I had a nice 'maitreya breakfast' here today, nice food, nice vibes, coffee is ok. I recommend.

Pros: good taste, free wifi, veg&vegan friendly
MalcolmNicholson
MalcolmNicholson

Fine gourmet vegetarian dining

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2011

Gourmet vegetarian dining. I love the relaxed, worthy, even hippyish atmosphere of many veggie places but this is ideal for a special occasion. Excellent food well presented.

Pros: Excellent food, Well presented
hack_man
hack_man

One of the Best there is

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

Definitely one of the best all time veggie places for me. It used to be me in my top 10 of all time but has just been squeezed out simply because I've been to so many and it was impossible nudge it back in. I love the staff, the building and of course the food. Superb gourmet cuisine at a very high standard. The staff look after you and they care about your experience. Great seating either down for more relaxed touch or upstairs for a formal experience. Overall, highly recommended.

Pros: food, staff, setting
Cons: prices
moonbug
moonbug

Well worth the trip!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2010

I visited Cafe Maitreya two nights ago with my partner on the recommendation of a friend (we were in Bristol for the Eco Veggie Fayre). After reading the reviews here at Happycow I expected to be disappointed. I wasn't. This was one of the best meals I've eaten and worthy of the awards it has received.

We started with bread and pesto that was brought to our table as we sat down. The waitress confirmed it was all vegan and the pesto was quite good.

There are four options for each course, with at least two or three of them being vegan (or having a vegan option). The wild garlic gnocchi entree was lovely and delicious, with subtle flavours. For mains I had the warm summer salad which had new season asparagus and baby carrots as well as greens, cashews in a dressing over new potatoes. My partner was equally impressed with the cassoulet.

For dessert I selected the trifle, which consisted of blueberries in red berry jelly topped with honeycomb, strawberries and ginger sorbet (the menu had coconut icecream listed but they were out of it). It was nice, but not as amazing as the previous courses. The dark chocolate torte that my partner had however, was fantastic, not too sugary as can often happen with cakes and the richness of the chocolate combined well with the rhubarb and hazelnut base.

At £23 for three courses (plus wine from the extensive selection), it is not a cheap everyday eat-out. However the food quality and the atmosphere was excellent and this makes the price more than reasonable and ideal for a special occasion venue. I know a previous review said the portions were small, however we were more than comfortably full after three courses.

A word of warning. Cafe Maitreya is in a less than reputable part of town and is also in an area which is mostly housing. Our taxi driver got lost trying to find it!

Pros: fine dining, vegan options
Cons: area
Scooby Doo
Scooby Doo

A disappointment!!

2 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2010

We've been coming to Bristol for a few years now to get our vegan fix but had never made it to Cafe Maitreya for some reason. However, with a birthday to celebrate we thought we would treat ourselves and see what all the fuss and awards were about. Unfortunately we were left wondering. From the outset the close seating arrangements were off putting with the waitress squeezing past constantly to serve other customers. It started hopefully with the amazing bread and olives (after the non-vegan cheesy bread was removed even though we had intially mentioned we were vegan) and we had to ask for a subsitute which was reluctantly provided. From then all the food went downhill with interesting combinations but that lacked any real wow factor at all. We ordered the soup, which you generally expect to be tasty and hot, but what arrived was lukewarm with basically salad floating in it. The sage gnochi was mushy and bland and not a well balanced meal as it just consisted of a small portion of vegetables. The trifle desert was unimaginative and sharp and the honeycomb a tooth breaker! It turned out to be an expensive and disappointing evening which we do not intend to repeat. There plenty of other quality veggie/vegan, satisfying eateries in Bristol to enjoy at half the price.

Pros: It's vegetarian, Good wine list, Good bread
Cons: Expensive, Poor food combinations, Over rated
Devoured By Envy
Devoured By Envy

Good vege for a posh date

3 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2010

Cafe Maitreya has many rave reviews from critics, but food wise it is good at best. Nothing amazing, and rather over-priced for the portion size. Though I did enjoy the main quite a bit there was little option due to the menu being seasonal on that occasion everything had artichoke in. For desert there were few vegan options, and the one I did choose I didn't enjoy.

Pros: Nice surroundings, High quality
Cons: Location, Few Vegan options, Pricey
marcstevens
marcstevens

Not blown away

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2009

Seeing a scummy girl kick her bull terrier across the road was not the best start to our evening, but it sums up the feel of the area. I live happily in London's East End but didn't feel comfortable in the streets around the Cafe. Happily, inside it is lovely, with nice staff who let us in and served us long before we were supposed to be there.
I particularly liked that many ingredients were sourced from the staff/owners' and other local's allotments. Food was fine, although didn't blow our minds - perhaps the 'award-winning' appellations built our hopes too high? We were also plagued by fruit flies from the moment our locally made organic cider arrived. Other customers were friendly too, and food cooked in open kitchen for all to see (I always feel that garners trust in customers!).

Pros: Nice joint, Vegan options, Lots of home-grown ingredients
Cons: Dodgy area, Train ride from town, Fruit flies
Shockingfish
Shockingfish

rather good

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2009

There has been many changes to the menu since the last review. There are lots of vegan options for starters and mains (but as with the majority of veggie restraunts the sweet selection is lacking) The service was good and promt they have also won a number of high profile awards in the last few years. This was not the best veggie restrant in the UK (that could go to a few places down south) but it is a contender. I would go again without a shadow of a doubt.

Pros: service, vegan options improved, good value for money
Cons: poor selection of vegan sweet options, seating plan
Caryne
Caryne

Nothing special

3 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2007

Been here several times (there's not a huge choice for vegans in Bristol) but can't say I can see why it get so many awards. One of the many veggie places who use style over substance. The food looks good but there isn't much of it. Vegan dishes can be sparse and dessert choices often limited to one. Have a tendence to use 'latest trendy' ingredients so, if you don't like it, then there isn't much else. Not worth going out of your way for..no way is this the best veggie place in the country. Very expensive too and they've stopped BYO, presumably to make more money.

Pros: Clean
Cons: Small portions, Little for vegans, Expensive
sparkly_ruth
sparkly_ruth

Brilliant!

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2006

I love cafe maitreya! I have been squillions of times over the years, for birthdays, valentines and just because & I enjoy it every time. The owner Rob is lovely, the staff are always great & the food is inventive & always delicious. The food is seasonal & locally sourced. It's a shame they stopped opening during the day as breakfast/lunch there was always fab but evenings are the real highlight

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Great value
Cons: Location is a little dice

Dear Owner and Manager of Maitreya Social: