Mai Thai Restaurant and Bar

Serves meat, veg options available. Will accommodate vegetarians upon request using tofu or meat-substitutes (maybe not vegan - ask). Ask to leave out fish sauce, etc. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
750 W Idaho St (N 8th St)
Boise, Idaho 83702
208-344-8424

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Farm Girl
millavinilla
millavinilla

Very Vegan Friendly (for a Thai place)

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2014

They have a section of vegetarian mains and most of them can be made vegan. The waiter was very knowledgable about what they could do and explained that they had changed most of their recipes so they could modify the dishes to accommodate people with allergies and vegans. Sushi selection was good and rolled to order. I would definitely recommend the veg spring rolls and the yellow curry (the only curry that can be made vegan). I really enjoyed it. Tasted pretty authentic.

Pros: vegan options, location
genghisxshaun
genghisxshaun

Poor

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

The staff seemed grumpy and inattentive. The food was poor. The portion was tiny and way over priced. The vegan options were quite limited. Traveling through and hoping to fill my stomach with some good plant based food, leaving disappointed.

Pros: NA
Cons: Small Portions, Overpriced, Grumpy, Awkward Staff
kanish.cook
kanish.cook

i like pat thai tofu

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2011

i went to mai thai have great selection of vegan foods

Pros: great selection vegan, staff knowledge , modearn decore

tomtom2514
tomtom2514

great vegand vegan option

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

mai thai provide verity of vegan and vegetarian super trendy look great service

Pros: excelelent food , good value, city look
Cons: n/a
amandapanda77
amandapanda77

Very Disappointing

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

I find the service at Mai Thai pretty terrible, and the food isn't much to speak of either. Even with a reservation, I've still had to wait up to an hour for a table.
Although there's a vegetarian menu, it isn't to be trusted. The curry contains fish sauce, which wasn't disclosed to us until we asked if it was vegan. The server said "It's not vegan because it contains fish sauce, but it's such a small amount that it doesn't really matter."
Seriously? Before you make a "vegetarian" menu, get your facts straight, Mai Thai!
I don't think I'll be eating there again unless I'm starving.

Pros: vegan options, great bar
Cons: expensive, bad service, incorrect menu
ARCreated
ARCreated

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2010

Visiting my son...there is a decided LACK of options for the Vegan mom in Boise, but this place was divine!! Delicious, great service and LOTS of vegan/vege options. Thank you

Pros: great food, lots of options
twsobey
twsobey

Over rated

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

The food is fine. Nothing too excited but it certainly isn't bad. They do a lot of "fusion" food, but seem to have missed the point. Usually fusion is done to somewhat bland dishes to add exotic spices. Starting with Thai and adding spices and textures seems backwards.

Cons: over-priced
zaner31
zaner31

You must try!!

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2009

I had to write a review after reading the previous reviews. This place both Eagle and Boise, I mostly the visit Boise location, are amazing!There are hundreds of dishes that can be made both vegan or vegetarian!! I dont expect that the staff at most restaurants know what I need and how to prepare it for me just because I tell them I am a "vegan" of "vegetarian". Many people say, "I am vegetarian, oh, but I eat fish". Servers often dont know how to distinguish, trained properly or not and I feel it is my responsibilty to inform them of what I can or can not eat. Just like an allergy. I let them know what I need and ask if this can be made accordingly. Enough of that!=)
I usually make reservations if going with more than 2 persons between the hours of 6pm and 8pm on most days. I found the staff to be very well trained given the size of the menu and found them to be even more helpfull. I asked my regular server a few questions and what he didnt know he asked. I do know that all the cooks are from Thailand and dont speak much english, so at one point my server even called for the owner to translate what I wanted, to the cooks! In short the service is amazing!! Five stars!
While there can be a wait for food during these busy hours and especially on Fri/Sat. I found that when going on "off days" before or at the end of "rush hour", that the food will come out too fast almost. Not enough time to enjoy what a great atmosphire Mai Thai really is. Great music, great vibe, decor and probably the most diverse people watching in the Capitol area!
In short, this place is a senses gold mine! And whilst Mai Thai is not strictly veg. and the menu is obviously not design to be, it is without question one of the tastiest veg. meals in town and my favorite place to eat in Boise!!!! Did I mention that after diner you walk outside and are located within walking distance of everything downtaoen has to offer?!

Pros: Diverse, Location, Best food in Boise!
Cons: Small, Need reservations
Kauakena
Kauakena

This is NOT our typical Thai Restaurant

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2008

First off, they have two locations. One is in Boise and the other is in Eagle. I have only been to the location in Eagle.

Second, reservations are highly recommended. If not, you maybe waiting a while. But at least they have a beautiful bar to wait at.

Now about the food...they offer vegetarian and vegan replacement meats like shrimp, beef tips and chicken. So if you are vegan, ask which replacement meats you can have. You must also request for them to leave out the shrimp paste & fish sauces as some dishes have these ingredients in them. Once you do that, you should get ready to wait. While you wait, look around because they have many artistic design touches throughout the restaurant. They have live music on some days (I forgot which ones) and a very modern full bar at the front of the restaurant. There is a large water basin separating the middle of the restaurant that glows different colors too. All in all, I enjoy each and every time I dine there. The service can be spotty (slow, ignoring your empty glass of water, etc.) but there are about 2 other options in Eagle but they don't nor does anyone else in the Boise or Eagle area offer imitation meats that I know of thus far.

Now back to the food...the taste will be muted when you minus the shrimp paste and fish sauce and per my friend that dines with me said. We got the same thing because he has never tried imitation meat before but he told them to leave the shrimp paste and fish sauce in. He mentioned that it tasted a tad bit bland compared to his but he said that I'm truly not missing a whole lot. So that made me happy. They presentation of the food is very well laid out. It's as if each entrée has its own designated plate design. Must be a pain for the dishwasher.

Pros: Offers replacement meats, a rarity!, Beautiful, somewhat romantic environment, Two locations in Down Town Boise & Eagle
Cons: Not all replacement meats are vegan, Occasional inattentive staff member, Reservations required during peak hours
Farm Girl
Farm Girl

Swanky Thai in Downtown

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2007

Good thai. Smallish portions. Slow service. Full swanky bar. Tasty!

Pros: Good food , Lots of veg options, Great bar
Cons: small portions, slowish service

Dear Owner and Manager of Mai Thai Restaurant and Bar: