Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe serving a few vegetarian dishes. Open 24 hours. Also at 1920 S Congress Ave, tel 512-445-0000. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

CBS
CBS

Do not recommend

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

Not vegan friendly. Parking, wait time, and overall atmosphere leaves much to be desired.

JRhodes
JRhodes

Fun, good food, family friendly

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2012

With an 8-year-old vegetarian kids who seems to be getting pickier by the day, but two parents who enjoy a wide selection of vegetarian options, we were thrilled to find Magnolia Cafe, suggested to us by the Enterprise Rent-A-Car clerk. We ended up eating there for both dinner our first night and brunch our third day because we enjoyed the atmosphere, the wait staff and the food so much. It's in the heart of the area where we were most interested in exploring, and loved the gift shop next door for browsing while waiting for a table. If visiting in Austin again, I know we'd go back to Magnolia Cafe

Pros: Good food, family friendly, Funky atmospher
Cons: Popular so a bit of a wait for a table
sirhin
sirhin

Magnolia's in the Middle

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

I don't come here much, but when I do, I usually go for their brunch fare just before a roadtrip out of town, as it's convenient. There seems to be a good amount of regulars, but also a number of passersby. The food isn't spectacular, but it does hit the spot in the morning. Their omelets are good and I tried their gingerbread pancakes as well, but from how my friend was raving about it, I guess it was hyped up so much that I expected more. I got their migas on another visit, and though it was good, I felt like it was missing something (I just returned to the States after a year abroad so I was missing myself a good serving of migas). I went two days in a row, and the waitstaff both times were pretty friendly, but within reason - it was fairly busy, or getting there, at the time. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to come.

Pros: conveniently located, large menu

mathimp
mathimp

The food could be better

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2010

The food's not terrible, good menu, but if I didn't have friends that lived right near it, I wouldn't bother.

Pros: menu
Cons: food
ellyn.arsenault
ellyn.arsenault

I don't know why people hate this place!

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2010

I love Magnolia! I have never had a problem when ordering veg-friendly. They have a gazillion options all with that great home made feel. Cute atmosphere! The mud dip is to die for!

Pros: delicous food, good atmosphere, open late
Cons: none!
earthville
earthville

Not at all vegan-friendly

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

Magnolia Café has a reputation as a vegetarian-friendly place, but we can only imagine that it must've acquired it before there were a whole crop of 100% vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Austin. By today's standards, Magnolia is hardly any more veg-friendly that a typical Chinese restaurant where veggie dishes are present but mostly as an afterthought.

Lacto-vegetarians might find Magnolia Cafe to be an acceptable place to dine with carnivorous friends or family, but we'd advise vegans to propose an alternative that actually makes a point to offer a vegan option or two.

Cons: Not vegan-friendly
Sartis
Sartis

Um, not very vegan friendly

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

I don't know about these other reviews, but the staff at Magnolia wasn't very helpful on making their dishes vegan. After finally narrowing down our choices to one or two, the cook actually brought my dish to my table and explained that most things are made with butter or lard, like the beans or tortillas. There is a good chance that if you thought you had a vegan dish at Magnolia, it in fact was not.

I even explained that I saw recommendations for vegan options on HappyCow and they replied, "well they should fix that, because it's very hard to make anything vegan here."

You can get by with being vegetarian very easily at Magnolia - but beware if you're vegan.

Pros: Quirkiness
Cons: Not vegan friendly, Hurried
kbdragon
kbdragon

A+ for begin vegan friendly

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2008

This place is very willing to cater to vegans. I ordered the veggie tacos and they made them for me with corn tortillas and without cheese. They were very good.

Pros: vegan friendly, nice atmosphere, helpful staff
Cons: not all vegetarian
VeganTex
VeganTex

Magnolia Cafe

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

Nice cafe; especially if you're looking for a place to eat around 3 a.m.! Vegan options available upon request.

Masalaflower
Masalaflower

Congress Location is Top Notch Diner

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2007

The acorn squash entree on the dinner specials insert is lovely to behold... but better with an extra side of curry sauce. The brownie dessert is really satisfying, and I like to order it with a side of blueberries rather than ice cream. In the dog days of summer, sitting in the patio area with a tall glass of hibiscus mint tea can cool most troubles away.

The staff is always kind, smart, attentive, and working too hard.

***Unfortunately they don't offer organic milk or a healthy soy creamer, and the coffee is run o' the mill drip. It's time they got some espresso, imho.

Pros: rockin staff, fab decor & booths, real maple syrup option
Cons: no yard eggs, factory farm meat :(

Dear Owner and Manager of Magnolia Cafe: