Serves meat, veg options available. Pizzeria full service restaurant with a portion on the menu includes a handful of vegetarian and vegan pizza as well as a few vegan desserts. Also located at 798 Danforth Ave, Toronto. Price: Moderate more-less
Pizzeria, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by slowfood
jbwaters
jbwaters

Can't comment on the Food

1 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

I can't comment on the food because I couldn't order anything.
As soon as I stepped in the door I noticed a funky odour, but not a food odour, I can't really describe it. Before I could look at the menu, I went to the ladies room. It was so surprisingly dirty. It was obvious the floors had not been clean in quite some time. At the counter you can see behind to the food prep area and part of the floor area near the ovens. It also appeared to be unsanitary and in need of a really good cleaning. I couldn't bring myself to even look at the menu with any serious intent of ordering from this kitchen. I'm truly surprised and very disappointed. I was really looking forward to trying this restaurant after reading about it on the internet and on their own website. There are other locations, perhaps they are more sanitary? I am still intrigued by the company philosophy to offer a great healthy pizza. I will try another location. Can anyone tell me if they know which one is the cleanest?

Pros: location
Cons: cleanliness
ieatmodestmouse
ieatmodestmouse

just ok pizza

2 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2010

my husband and i came here in nov 2010. we ordered the vegan magic pizza w the gluten free crust. the pizza probably would have been good if it weren't for the crust. i have had a lot of GF pizza and this was the worst i've had.

we also ordered a regular crust pizza with daiya, rosemary sweet potatoes, broccoli, garlic, and tomato sauce. again, just ok. the sweet potatoes tasted weird and were really mushy.

probably wouldn't come back.

Pros: daiya cheese
Cons: bad GF crust, not so great veggies
Ken4057
Ken4057

Great for celiacs

3 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2010

Way overpriced. I had a tiny beet salad that was over $10 last time I was there. Had a gluten-free (rice-based) pizza crust that had been overcooked and was like eating plastic. Oh well.

On the plus side, they offer lots of gourmet toppings, a vegan organic multigrain crust, and vegan soy cheese. When Daiya cheese becomes available in Toronto this will all change of course!

All in all, I'll go here if omni friends want pizza, but not otherwise.

kabbalah
kabbalah

Maybe, Baby

3 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2009

I have mixed feelings about Magic Oven; at least the Dupont store. When it first opened, the pizzas were fresh, packed and delicious- they were ridiculously over-priced ($300 for 9 people is $33/head, which is a lot of money to me), but it was so wonderful to get organic veggies and free-range chicken on a sprouted wheat or spelt crust. But now, the toppings have been severely reduced, often it's burnt on the bottom and the new spelt crust is awful. One of their apps is a hot greens side dish (they make it at Fresh, too with bok choy, broccoli and kale and I love it), but at Magic Oven it's steamed lettuce! It just has gone down so much in quality and the prices are so high that I just can't justify the expense, which is a terrible shame. I really liked the concept when it first opened and I miss not having a place to get good, fresh, organic and pesticide free toppings, but it's gone so far downhill, I'm often disappointed.

Pros: friendly, organic/ free range, still tastes good
Cons: scanty toppings , price, not cooked properly
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Different desires and all were satisfied

4 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2008

Four of us dropped into the Magic Oven; 1 vegan (me), 2 vegetarians and a meat eater. We were all satisfied with our pizzas. I had the Vegan Magic pizza, salad and vegan carrot cake for dessert.
The retaurant was large, staff were friendly and the place appeared clean. The food was not cheap but the quality was great. Next time I am in Toronto and wanting to go out for pizza, I would certainly return to the Magic Oven.

Pros: Good tasting food, Not noisy, Enough vegan choice
Cons: Not cheap
Arby
Arby
  • non-vegetarian

A Good Change

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2008

Considering I've been going to Magic for a long time now, I'm surprised that I haven't reviewed it here before now. So, Here it goes.

Over time a joint can change. So I don't want to agree or disagree with what what the handful of other visitors to Magic have conveyed here. However, I can make one possibly useful observation. While I find the slices - I can't afford a whole Magic pizza! - to be rather meager, I have noticed recently that the Magic folks, at least at the original store, have been back on their game for quality. And really, the portions are fine, especially when the slice is good. And when a Magic slice is good, it's GOOD.

The original store is probably too small for them to get carried away with a large selection. But I always find something I like.

I did pick up a half pizza at one of their new outlets recently, next to where I work in Corktown. It was very expensive and, in my view, not worth the price I paid. It was fine, but just too pricey at $10 for a half of a small pizza. That's a tiny amount of pizza folks!

As for the service where I usually go, If it slips now and then (not often in my experience), it comes back, which is more than can be said for so many eateries.

But, all said and done, Magic is a nice break from the chains. If you're stopping into a chain - doesn't matter which of them - for a slice, you will 'never' get anything as nice as a Magic slice. Slices in joints like Pizza Pizza are usually not fit for dogs. Through experimentation I have found a Pizza Pizza pizza I like, which is probably how it is for most chains. But the Pizza Pizza next to the Magic I frequent sells it's slices for only slightly less than Magic, but the quality is significantly less.

So there you go.

Pros: quality, friendly folks, nothing else like it
Cons: prices sometimes, 'expensive' outlets are dropping slices
vegan.flora
vegan.flora

golden!

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

We LOVED Magic Oven, even though we had some trouble actually getting there. Arriving in Canada starving, we stopped for lunch on the way to our hotel only to find out it was a Monday holiday, and they weren't open. So we went to the hotel, checked out Magic Oven's website which said they open at 3:00 on holidays. We walked about 2 miles to get there at 3:15, starving, only to find out they actually open at 4:00 on holidays. So that was frustrating, but they let us in early, and served us drinks and a salad while the ovens heated up for pizza.
Although not all vegetarian, they do have vegan soy cheese and tons of vegan toppings, of which I highly recommend the rosemary potatoes, garlic spinach, and mushrooms. We ordered a medium pizza with mushrooms, kalamata olives, basil, and broccoli which was pretty good. We also ordered a small with the potatoes, spinach, sugar snap peas, and tomato pesto sauce...and 24 K gold. Weird, but it had no flavor and was fun. Both pizzas were delicious, as was the salad with avocado, mango, and walnuts. While the prices were higher than your average chain pizza restaurant, they were comparable to the vegan-friendly pizza place near our house, so we didn't object to the prices. Expect to pay $15 for a small (9") and $35 for a large (15") but each comes with at least 4 toppings (and they really know how to pile on the toppings) so it's quite satisfying. Plus the ingredients are organic and local, so you're getting your full value. Yum.
We also had the green-tea infused tofu fingers, and despite being really hungry we found these rather bland. Save your money for pizza.

Pros: organic + local, creative toppings, delicious
Cons: pricy, wrong opening time on website
philjdomm
philjdomm

Too Expensive for Pizza delivery

3 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2008

Understand the organic and pricey extra work it takes...

but i never had to pay $40 for a medium pizza...didnt felt completely satisifed.

benjiflakes
benjiflakes
  • non-vegetarian

Good service, good price, great food

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2008

I have to disagree with the previous reviewer about pricing. I took a group of 9 people to their Annex location and the bill came to under $300 with food and alcohol and everyone left STUFFED. Try that at any other health food place in the city. Two of us were vegan and one was celiac and everyone got exactly what they wanted, plus more out of the experience. If anything, I would say their portions are too big. Dessert prices are competitive with other restos.

I can't speak to their delivery service as I have never tried it, but the restaurant staff are friendly, attentive and know a lot about specialty diets. Small dining room makes for cramped quarters for large groups, but otherwise would recommend.

Pros: great food, gluten-free, veggie / vegan
Cons: small dining room, over-large portions
slowfood
slowfood

The Magic Oven: to dine or not to dine

1 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2008

The food at the Magic Oven is over priced. Expect to pay $6 for a very small piece of vegan cake. If you ask them to deliver, your order must be at least $15, they also charge you roughly an additional $2 for delivery, which is not mentioned when you place your order on the phone. Expect to pay an additional $2 for spelt or gluten free products. They also deliver your food in minimum of 1hr to maximum 2hrs in my experience. Which is odd since they are only 10mins away by car. Oh, and their pizza is never hot once its delivered. If you go to dine in at their Danforth location, expect below par customer service. The staff is not particularly concerned about updating you on the status of your food once you've placed your order. A friend and I waited 50mins without any food after placing our order of a small vegan pizza and small pasta dish. And our waitress gave no indication if there was a delay or how much longer it might be till our food was ready, nor did she check in on us to see if all was well. We never got our food, we ended up leaving, and the staff was very aloof. Their food tastes okay and they have some alright options when it comes to vegan choices and gluten free choices, but they do serve meat.

Pros: Good Vegan pizza options, Good gluten free options
Cons: Poor customer service, Over priced, extremely slow delivery of food

Dear Owner and Manager of Magic Oven: