REMOVED: Mae Ping Thai Rest...

Serves meat, veg options available. In Jan 2013 this Thai food place added a vegan menu section with various starters, stir-fry, rice dishes and curries. REMOVED: MAR 2015 reoorted "All the curries are not suitable as they have fish sauce & shrimp paste in the paste so it can not be taken out. The peanut sauce can not be made suitable as it also has the curry paste in it." Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
16-18 S End
Croydon, England CR0 1DN
020-87600278

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by LauraStone90
jdvegan
jdvegan

Be very aware this is not like the listing says

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2015

Visited this restaurant on Tuesday 24th March 2015 after reading the listing and decided to go as the listing said there is a separate Vegan menu. Well be warned!!! the menu does not exist, All the curries have fish sauce or shrimp paste in the curry paste. So are not vegan or even vegetarian. The peanut sauce has fish sauce in it as it’s made from the Thai curry paste. They have allergy warnings at the back of the menu but they are not accurate when it comes to the food. It says the dishes can be made vegan or even vegetarian but that is not the case. It is only that I asked again about the peanut sauce (because I make it myself at home) that they then agreed it had shrimp paste in it, after I told them I was vegan & what I didn’t eat. There are only 2 starters that are suitable. We had the dragons delight, which was only a chunk of tofu with a cut down the middle with peas and carrot stuffed in it. bland and defiantly not a delight. 4 main causes that are suitable, but they are really just a combination of stir fried vegetables with soya sauce or sweet & sour sauce. Nothing special. The asparagus dish was ok but lacked flavour (because they had omitted the fish sauce) it was all a bit bland and un-appetising. Nothing close to real Thai food. I have eaten at some wonderful Thai restaurants that are suitable for vegans & vegetarians. The prices are very expensive for what you get and it’s really is a mediocre Thai. Do not eat here as a vegan or vegetarian I would not trust it. I am most annoyed that the listing said it had a separate menu for vegans, because that is the only reason we chose to eat there in the first place. Shame on you & fool on me for taking notice. Just thought I should let others know.

Pros: no pros all cons
Cons: Fish Sauce (in all curry), Shrimp paste (in all curry), Bland & Expensive
millavinilla
millavinilla

Good local Thai Food

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

I have frequented both the Croydon and Wimbledon location over the past couple years and they do not disappoint. Make sure you make them aware you are vegetarian as there are several vegetable dishes they will need to substitute the fish sauce on. Their veg green curry is my favourite.

Updated from previous review on Saturday June 29, 2013 wanted to update this as I feel like the service has really gone down hill recently. Waiters are not near as friendly as they used to be. Food seems to have maintained though.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Great food
Cons: Service
LauraStone90
LauraStone90

Nice Drinks...

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

We didn't have the best experience in here-the waiter didn't seem to understand what 'Vegan' meant-we had to say "like vegetarian, but with no dairy or eggs...no animal products!". Unfortunately, there was no sign of a separate Vegan menu, so perhaps ring up, if you're in the area, and plan on visiting. Despite trying to explain 'Vegan', he pointed at the fish section of the menu, and even offered us some prawn crackers...! We felt really awkward, and asked for the bill, after finishing our drinks, which were nice! But, all I say is: do give them a call, to inform them that you're Vegan, and find out what they can definitely offer.

Pros: A few things for vegetarians to choose, Nice drinks
Cons: The waiter didn't understand 'Vegan', No sign of a Vegan menu

Dear Owner and Manager of REMOVED: Mae Ping Thai Restaurant: