Madre Tierra, or "Mother Earth" is the first vegetarian restaurant in Toledo and uses organic products. Offers healthy dishes which do not contain any chemical additives. No microwaves are used and the place is smoke-free. Offers a varied menu, and a wide range of drinks, teas and infusions, also of organic origin. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Spanish
Bajada de la Triperí­a, 2 (Plaza San Justo)
Toledo, Spain 45001
34-925-223 571

Open for lunch, and dinner from 20:30, closed Monday night and all day Tuesday.

First Review by little_bit
JonTurner2000
JonTurner2000

Mother Earth - A Visit Well Worth

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

Tastefully done out large restaurant with a good varied menu. Maybe a little hard to find the road as its a fairly narrow one, but when we went there was a board at the top directing you down and its near the top of the slope.
We had lunch here a couple of times over a few days and really enjoyed the burger and pasta dishes which were carefully prepared and tasted great. Definitely include a visit here on your Toledo itinerary.

Pros: Good selection, Relaxing and tasteful decor, Near the centre
Ellen and Jacob
Ellen and Jacob

Fabulous restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

We ate at Madre Tierra as often as we could during our three days in Toledo in October, 2013. It was hard to find, but we asked the locals and got there eventually - and it was well worth the search. Definitely gourmet food with plenty of vegan choices. Delicious and unusual salads - always our lunch staple, and incredible dinner entrees. They have an English menu.

Pros: fantastic food, friendly staff, very old and interesting building
justingross
justingross

Great Find in Toldeo

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

We went there yesterday on a day trip from Madrid. Now, I will be honest...we chose Toledo over Segovia because there was a veg restaurant here and not in Segovia. It is a little difficult to find, but it is well worth the search. We checked it on a map before we went and when we got there we bought a map at the train station and were able to get close to the location. We then just asked locals to help us find it.
It is a very elegant restaurant with a very relaxed atomsphere. We really enjoyed our meal here. There are veg and vegan dishes available, you just have to ask...brush up on your Spanish. On our trip to Spain thus far...this has been my favorite place. Definitely go here if you are coming to Toledo. It is worth it.

Kirsh
Kirsh

Madre Tierra

3 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2012

The restaurant is a little difficult to find in a small lane called Bajada de la Triperia (number 2).

It is a very nice looking restaurant, clean and well maintained, and prices were moderate. The menu was in English but none of the staff spoke English.

We had one problem - most of the dishes contained cheese and the waiter had not heard of vegetarian cheese. Since most non-vegetarian cheeses use a meat based renet, we mentioned this to the waiter, who said "cheese is cheese".
This was a problem for us.

I doubt whether the restaurant would be suitable for vegans.

Pros: Non smoking, large portions, fair value
Cons: Too much cheese
Daria Ignatova
Daria Ignatova

Great food in a small city!

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

An amazing restaurant, though hidden from the public by the location. We were looking for some nice veggy food in Toledo, and it was quite a challenge as Spain is all about seafood and meat. Found Madre Tierra by chance, and were so happy to be there! We were 4 people, and only 1, me, a real vegetarian, but the other 3 were happy with the food as well. We had 3 soups - onion and spinach, and they were great! soup is more of a starter, not a main dish, but really well done and nicely served. We also had canelloni, salad and a really nice selection of pate - humus, aubergine pate, etc., delicious to share for the table.
None of the staff spoke english, but somehow this didn't spoil the impression - and we got what we wanted :)
The place has a really nice style - from the entrance, to the plate decoration, and has a cozy feeling to it. Definately worth coming back!

Pros: Great food, Good veggy choice, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Menu only in Spanish, Staff doesn't speak english, Hidden location
sbszine
sbszine

Superb

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

This is the best vegan food I've ever eaten anywhere. I ordered what turned out to be a plate of roasted / grilled vegetables, and though it looked boring it was fantastic.

The restaurant itself is a beautiful ye olde Toledo space and the staff are lovely. It's the only vegetarian place in town so you really have to go if you're in Toledo.

It's very very hard to find so make sure to locate it prior to dinner. Eat a big breakfast then spend a few hours finding the restaurant, mark it on a map and come back for dinner. The street address alone is useless for finding it.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Service
Cons: Very hard to find -- keep trying!
danielgilboa59
danielgilboa59

Excellent veggie

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

I visited this restaurant twice and hope to enjoy it again. They offer a wide range of creative veggie and vegan dishes. I would rate the dishes I selected as true gourmet.
In addition, the place is well designed, pleasant and cozy.
Great experience for any veggie.

Pros: Quality of food, selection
Cons: Spanish business hours...
Blacklizard
Blacklizard

Best vegetarian meal in Spain!

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

We have been living in Madrid for two months, and have tried all of the major vegetarian restaurants in Madrid. Some of them (Isla del Tesoro, for example) were pretty good, but we didn't really love any of them. Who'd have thought we would find such a great vegetarian restaurant nearby (30 minutes on the AVE fast train) in Toledo? Maybe we were charmed by the Toledo location (such a beautiful city, well worth a visit), but this restaurant was really good. It has a spacious and lovely dining room, and excellent service. They have a web site (www.restaurantemadretierra.com) and their menu is online. We had the Madre Tierra salad and the Risotto de Calabaza Dulce (sweet onion), and shared them. Entrees are quite large, so that was plenty for the two of us. Both were excellent -- fresh ingredients, beautiful presentation. We were tempted to order the lasagna with soy bechamel sauce, which looked good too. We had the brownie de nueces (walnuts) for dessert, which came warm with ice cream, and it was one of the best desserts I can remember having in a restaurant. The restaurant is popular, but reservations were not necessary on the Sunday afternoon that we were there. The menu has a mix of vegetarian and vegan dishes.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Non-smoking!
Midori
Midori

Good restaurant, excellent service

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

I was surprised at how many good vegetarian restaurants we found in Spain, despite the fact that many regular restaurants could not even find us an olive without fish in it. Madre Tierra serves good vegetarian food (no fish!) with some vegan options. I had salad, a small but decent tofu curry, bread, soy ice cream, and a glass of wine for a reasonable prix fixe. (In Spain, it is very common to get a multicourse meal with a glass of wine for one set price. It is usually between nine and fifteen Euros. Madre Tierra was towards the lower end of this range.) In addition, I ordered and received a soy latte to go with dessert, which was great. This was the only place in Spain, other than Starbucks, where I found a soy latte.

What set Madre Tierra apart the most was the excellent service. Our waiter showed just the right level of attentiveness, and even helped us find our way to our next destination on the map I showed him.

In addition, the decor and lighting were lovely here, and it is nonsmoking. I definitely recommend it.

Pros: service, food, decor
Cons: portion size
christineb
christineb

Well worth a visit if you can find it

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2008

I stumbled over this restaurant (or should I say the sign) as its hidden down a little side alley just off the Plaza de San Justo. I had the set lunch (menu del dia) which was well presented in nouvelle cuisine style favoured by a number of the veggie restaurants in Madrid area. Good vaule for money and very tasty. I was the only person in the place, which can seat quite a number of people, which meant fast and friendly service. Nice atmosphere in a slighty subterranean setting.

little_bit
little_bit

One of the few places to get something vegetarian

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

It was so refreshing to find somewhere vegetarian to eat in Toledo. The food was great and the portions were very generous (more than either I or my sister could finish). We were the only people there when we arrived for dinner (never could get that late night eating thing down) and the staff was very friendly and even brought us some free appetizers.

Pros: Homemade Veggie Burgers, Nice atmoshphere, Large portions
Cons: Tricky to find
  • peasonearth peasonearth

Hi Little bit, I liked your review. I was in spain for a while too, and couldn't adjust to eating so late either!

Dear Owner and Manager of Madre Tierra: