South Indian and North Indian vegetarian Indian cuisine. Daily lunch buffet, a la carte dinner menu. Vegans to specify. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Catering, Buffet

cookiem
cookiem

Mostly vegan friendly

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2014

This restaurant is far from the hustle and bustle of DC, as well as from the high density of Indian restaurants in VA and further south in MD. It thus has little competition in the area for veg Indian dining. This may be the reason for the decor hailing from an earlier era from a couple decades ago.

Well, despite that, because there aren't any other veg Indian places in the area, I thought to check it out. The reviews seemed mixed. Perhaps from a non veg or Indian food connoisseur's perspective one might be disappointed. However, I am neither!

Sitting here mid-week at a shop in a strip mall, there was a steady stream of Indian families coming to dine. Good sign! Also, the vast number of choices on the menu for dosas and veggie curries- incredible and delightful. I was pleased to hear constant commotion in the kitchen. It was nice that the staff were ready to answer all my vegan questions and to check in on how things were faring.

The spices are rich but not masked just by the heat of fiery spice. I could taste and smell the flavors, and they varied among the dishes condiments too. The person assisting in my ordering insisted that everything was vegan unless it had yogurt- true!? I am not convinced, but will come back again to see what others say! The food was also a bit too salty for my preferences, and like many Indian restaurants, the fresh veggies were in shorter supply than I had hoped.

I plan to return to try more, as I was satisfied with the service, speedy cooking, quality spices and menu offerings. If I could, I would give it 3.5 stars but it's not quite 4- probably from the location and decor.

Pros: Menu options overwhelming!, Dosas!, Flavor profiles
Cons: Not 100% vegan, Far far away, Decor
Seth Schoen
Seth Schoen

Tasty spot across the street from NIST

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2011

I had a nice vegan dinner here, and it was very convenient to NIST. The restaurant has a large menu with a specialty in South Indian food. It's quiet at mid-week and seems like it would be much busier at lunchtime or for the weekend.

J B
J B

South Indian

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

Madras Palace is an exclusively vegetarian South Indian restaurant. The location is right near the 270 Gaithersburg exits, though it's a bit tucked away. It's quite large, with a separate dining room for parties. A large portion of the clientele are Indian, which is usually a good sign. They have a buffet for lunch and on weekends, which is not cheap but is worth it if you're hungry. Some of their staff seems to struggle with English, and occasionally we have had a dish lost (we haven't been charged for that).

The menu offers a good selection of dosai (crepes) and utthapam (pancakes) and a variety of curries. Their buffet is quite substantial, and Indian food seems to be very well suited to buffet-style eating. The vadai (lentil donuts) are frequently at the buffet and are fantastic; I probably eat more than I should. The mulligatawny soup is delicious and sometimes quite spicy. The chana batura (huge fried puffy bread with chickpea curry on the side) is my favorite dish. As is often the case with Indian food, I find the food is very heavy, a lot of fried stuff. That said, if you want something lighter/healthier, there are options.

It's very nice to have a vegetarian Indian place in Gaithersburg; it's the only one of its kind in the area.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 06, 2011

Pros: Variety of options, Taste
Cons: Ambience, Price

Dear Owner and Manager of Madras Palace: