CLOSED: Madras Cafe

Vegetarian Indian restaurant featuring South Indian food. Has lunch buffet. Simple decor. AUG 2014 CONFIRMED SHUT, LEASE EXPIRED, PHONE NOT WORKING. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet

First Review by Eatnothingwitheyes
antiochian-1971
antiochian-1971

Excellent Southern Indian fare

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

I've dined at the Madras Cafe for several years. Maybe eight dinners and one lunch buffet. Most recently in July 2011. Vibrant dishes, fairly quick service.

I've been with a variety of friends, some very savvy, some newcomers to this cuisine. Reactions have ranged from very pleased/surprised to ecstatic, mostly the latter.

Service is pleasant, and very responsive. Decor is simple. Lightly remodeled a year or so ago, it seems a lot less noisy when crowded.

There is an excellent variety of dishes. The Thali's are a great deal and excellent if you want somewhere to start (i.e. variety in one dish), though I think they are only on Thursdays. We always share and get a wide variety.
The lunch buffet is a good way to sample a variety if you are not dining with
a group.

If you are unsure, ask for guidance from either the staff or other diners, though I don't think you can go wrong. All of the dosas (I think we've had all of them) have been great. The Uttapam fantastic. The okra is wonderful and has been thoroughly enjoyed by two okra-hating friends.

Pros: Fine, fresh dishes, Very reasonable prices, Helpful staff
Cons: No cons of the cafe, Parking lot can get crowded.
rammy_18
rammy_18

Great Food

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2009

We went to this restaurant and the food was very good. We went for Lunch buffet and me and my wife both liked it very much. Will go to this place again.

westcornersville
westcornersville

Great South Indian Food--Plus Lunch Buffet

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2009

I love this place! They have a great lunch buffet which usually includes a small masala dosa, idli, sambar and several vegetable dishes, among a few other items. If you go for dinner, Tuesday-Thursday are the best days as the have reasonably priced thalis (with a huge amount of food).

Pros: good food, decent prices, lunch buffet
Cons: AC system doesn't always work well

Eatnothingwitheyes
Eatnothingwitheyes

Best South Indian Restaurant In San Diego

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2007

Everything I have tasted there is nicely done. I keep ordering the Masala Dosa, because it is the only place in San Diego that I have found that really knows how to make a good one. The lunch buffet is reasonably priced and satisfying. It has a plain, comfortable family atmosphere with a no frills decor.

Pros: excellent food, Vegetarian, Buffet is a good value
Cons: Temperature regulation needs improvement

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Madras Cafe: