Vegetarian Indian restaurant attached to vegetarian grocery shop in the Riverside area of Cardiff. Vegans to inquire about dairy use. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by mikebinos
sXe_22
sXe_22

Mmmm...

2 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

We just bought some "different" indian food in the shop because the lady in the kitchen told us that nothing is vegan there because they always use milk. It sounded a bit strange to us, but fine: going to the near Vegetarian Food Studio was absolutely better.

Privatepyleuk
Privatepyleuk
  • non-vegetarian

Great Snackie Things

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

I am a Cardiff Resident who was introduced to Madhavs some 20 or so years ago when I bought my first house.
I was living on a shoestring and to help pay the bills I had a lodger who was a vegetarian ( eating nothing with an eye in it except for a potato ). We were actually good mates too and people would describe us as The Cardiff Roux Brothers as he would deal with the veggies and I the fish and meat.
Madhavs was a Saturday morning thing initially. We would take a strole down the road to be greeted by the fantastic aroma of spices filling the air leading us to the counter like a bee to the hive.
Its Indian home cooking served up hot and cheap. Fresh spicy and full flavoured.
Yes there are better places with a greater variety but this place is the original. Always a warm welcome whoever or whatever you are.
Old Man Madhav has educated me over the years in the use of the obscure vegetables and fayre and his wife on how to utilise the best spices for a dish.
Get down there, throw your snobery out the window and try the Lentil Balls, Potato Balls, Samosa or in fact anything from the short menu.
Spend £2 per dish and you will alway keep coming back.
Amazing

blister
blister

We love Madhavs

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

Although the choice is limited, what is there is lovely and good value. Recommend the Bhelpuri, biryani or the lentil balls. Some of the other dishes are close to limit of what I can cope with spice wise, but my more chilli tolerant mates rave about it.

mikebinos
mikebinos

Good and Fresh

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2012

Madhav is pretty similar to the nearby Vegetarian Food Studio. It is attached to a vegetarian grocery store (with many Indian/Asian products), which is nice. There are not as many options on the menu as at VFS, but it is a pretty fresh meal. After ordering our dishes we heard chopping and frying; it's an open kitchen so you see them and hear them making your food. Very small operation with one woman doing the cooking. The bread seemed like it was just packaged bread, but the rest of the food was really good. We were only visiting Cardiff, not from there, so having both Madhav and VFS nearby was nice; we got to try both and if visiting it is nice to go to both and compare them. There are also sweets at Madhav but not sure if they make them.

Dear Owner and Manager of Madhav: