Macy's European Coffeehouse

Coffeehouse, bakery, and restaurant 1/2 block south of railroad tracks. Roasts its own coffee, soymilk option available. Offers a few options for vegans, and many dishes contain dairy or/or eggs. Vegans to specify. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Bakery, American, Take-out

First Review by BrienneAmber
rakesh_yadav
rakesh_yadav

Very nice

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

A nice "hippysh" place to hangout with friends. Went multiple times for breakfast and lunch. The hot cocoa with different vegan milk was very delicious. For breakfast I had their home-made granola with soy milk which was pretty good. Highly recommend it! The sandwich (some hummus sandwich thingy) I ordered for lunch was also nice.

Pros: Opens at 6AM!, Nice music, Cheerful and friendly staff
Veda S
Veda S

Good food.

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

This would've been 5 stars but the veggie burger was just average.

Otherwise, other dishes we tried were delicious and the desserts were divine!

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Macy's European Coffee House

3 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2012

This is a good lunch spot located in Flagstaff, and apparently quite popular. I ordered the super veggie sandwich and found it to be quite bland, I was most unimpressed with the bread. If I go to Macy's again I'd certainly try something different, but would definitely give it another shot given my friend's experience. My friend absolutely loved her sandwich and ranted about her bread (which was different than mine) - her sandwich was also not vegan.

runvegan23
runvegan23

Best Coffee in Flagstaff

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

My favourite coffee house in the city! Great drinks, fantastic pastries, and awesome food (the BLT is the best!). They clearly identify what is vegan on the signs. Be prepared to wait in line for a while; it's worth the wait!

KatieB
KatieB

Great drinks and music, good food

3 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

I had a large soy chai, a slice of vegan banana bread, and the Mediterranean plate. The drink was done before I was even fully rung up, the hummus and tahini dressing was AWESOME. The banana bread was a bit dry, but it had probably been out in the case all day. Gayle Skidmore was the musical artist playing that night, and she was great, (bought her cd/coloring book) she sounded a bit like Ingrid Michaelson....anyway, the Chai was fantastic and foamy. They were out of the veggie mushroom burger. Was only stopping on my way through, but if there were more vegan options, I would want to go back for sure.

zaphod
zaphod

Not very tasty...

2 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2012

I had a mushroom/swiss veggie burger and it was OK. The coffee was not very good, and a little bitter. My wife had the veggie soup/stew and it was terrible. It tasted like they ran hot water over vegetables (sort of like how the Three Stooges would make chicken soup by poured hot water through a chicken). It was also loaded with way too much oregano. The salad was not how it was ordered (missing tomato, cucumber, avocado, etc.).

Pros: Interior decor, Location
Cons: Mediocre food, Some bad food
hippublican
hippublican

Delicious!

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

It was pretty packed on the day we came, but we luckily were able to catch an open table. We got 2 sandwiches and a turnover. My BLAT was HUGE and filling but still felt really healthy. The turnover was perfection, so I grabbed another for the road.
Service was friendly, but they call names when orders are up and when it's so packed it's impossible to hear them. We accidentally grabbed someone else's sandwich because of a rhyming-name snafu. Try to give a 2 syllable name when you order! ;-)

Pros: big portions, delicious, good value
Cons: crowded
SueInNY
SueInNY

Excellent Food

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2011

I too had the BLAT after reading all the reviews. It was to biggest sandwich I ever saw. The bread was thick cut and toasted and the sandwich was just yummy! The basil vinaigrette was the best dressing I've ever had. I used it to dip the sandwich in and drank whatever was left! They had some vegan danish the day I was there......so good.

Pros: small inside
Cons: good food, good prices
Lanky
Lanky

Very busy vegetarian hangout

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2010

Macys appears to be the most popular cafe in Flagstaff, which is great, as im sure not all the customers are vegetarian: their food and coffee is good enough to attract carnivores!
I had the BLAT, which was good although i have to say not quite as good as others mentioned here. The Tempeh Bacon was ok, but tasted too much like those fake bacon bits they used to put out at the salad bar at Sizzler.
The place was completely full when i was there, with a line of people going right out the door, so if you're looking for peace and quiet, this is not the place. If you want to hangout in a busy cafe that feels like a normal cafe (as opposed to a vegetariaan place with some pan flutes playing and pictures of the supreme master on the wall), then this is the place.

Pros: Busy, eclectic crowd, good food, fresh roasted coffee
Mimi710
Mimi710

Oh Macy's, I love you!

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2010

I don't live in Flagstaff anymore, but when I came back to visit recently one of the first things I wanted to do was go to Macy's.

I was so excited to discover this place the first morning that I lived in Flagstaff when my Aunt and I were in our hotel room looking in the phone book for places to eat breakfast. We didn't actually eat here until our second morning in town. As a vegetarian at the time of 9 years that grew up in the Buffalo, NY area I had never been to any sort of full on vegetarian establishment. (Oh how things have changed since then - and I'm vegan now. ;))

Macy's always has a yummy selection of baked goods with lots of options for the vegans. In the mornings they usually have bagels from Biff's across the street and muffins you can munch on if you don't want a pastry with your morning coffee. The vegan waffles there aren't really that great - a bit too stiff for me - but something about the ability to go out and order vegan waffles (with syrup and earth balance - which you have to specify that you want or else they will give you butter even though the waffles themselves are vegan - and fresh fruit on request) has always been exciting.

My favorite sandwich is the avocado BLT. (Specify if you want it vegan.) It was a sad day when I couldn't eat one for lunch after a year away from Flagstaff (and at least a month of daydreaming about this sandwich) because they were out of tempeh bacon that day.

The coffee is amazing and this is coming from someone who doesn't really drink coffee that often. You can also get soy hot chocolate, choose from a variety of teas, and I think they make smoothies although I can't recall ever ordering one here... maybe just once my first year in Flagstaff.

Sometimes in the evenings they have musicians that play in the upper level corner, and you can peruse the photographs taken by owner Tim Macy while you are there. (I should really buy one of his prints the next time I am in town.)

Oh yea - the other great thing about Macy's is the cross section of the town that you will see here. (And the number of times you will run into people you know while here.) Macy's is a great meeting spot, as well as a great first date spot.

If you live in Flagstaff and you haven't been to Macy's yet you are probably living under a rock. If you are reading this because you are about to go on a vacation to Flagstaff, then you should definitely put this on your list of restaurants/cafes to check out. ;)

Pros: vegan baked goods, avocado BLAT, awesome hanging out spot
Cons: none
PhytoFan
PhytoFan

A Great Spot!

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

Don't let the "European" in the name make you think of something more stylish than satisfying. This place is good for body and soul! Great food, friendly staff, reasonable prices, overall good vibe. Which is why it's one of Flagstaff's most popular local spots. Just a little south of the downtown strip, in a residential area. Unique breakfasts. Ever seen a place with cooked couscous and fruit and nuts for breakfast? Or how about a Tofu Pecan Danish? Well worth a visit!

Pros: Good Food, Good Value, Friendly Staff
Cons: Can Be Crowded
michal
michal

BLAT!

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2009

for sure my favorite thing on the menu is a vegan blat sandwich. you have to ask for it to be made vegan (they'll sub the mayo for vegenaise and hold the cheese) but it's delicious and comes with a side salad. the basil vinaigrette dressing is delicious and so is the lemon tahini- both are vegan. i've been living in flagstaff for a couple of years and know i can always stop by macy's for some comfort.

Pros: friendly staff, good vegan options, fresh baked vegan pastries
Kiran
Kiran

Never A Bad Meal

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2009

This place is so good for breakfast, you'll want to go back for lunch. The menu is a mix of mostly vegetarian options but they can vegan-ize almost anything. The coffee is great and the vibes are always welcoming.

Pros: Great Coffee, Great Breakfast
Cons: Place Fills Fast
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

YUMMY Vegan Pecan Sticky Bun

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2008

We were traveling and stopped at Flagstaff. Tried this place after I read it in happycow.net. Oh Boy! Don't go to Starbucks! This place has the best coffee and vegan baked goods. We ate their huge pecan sticky bun and a scone. They are vegan and there are a lot of vegan baked goods choices when we were there. We came back and bough a few sticky buns to take home to Calif. Yum yum!

Pros: Yummy vegan baked goods, Yummy coffee with soy milk option
Cons: Too Faaar from home
Roethke
Roethke

Get the mocha

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2007

The very best mocha I've ever had. Ever.

PLus, delicious vegan food for breakfast and lunch. My friends and I always stop by when we're in Flagstaff.

Pros: Great coffee, friendly staff, good vegan food
Cons: kitchen closes at 4
wholefoodseater
wholefoodseater
  • non-vegetarian

GREAT place for good, whole foods!

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2007

We had six kids and three adults and everyone LOVED their breakfast food! The staff was nice. Seating was a little tight & music a little loud and rocky, but overall it was SUPER!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great food, Good value
Cons: Seating too tight, Music too loud
BrienneAmber
BrienneAmber

Coffee Shop with a Funky/Artzy Environment

3 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2006

This place is perhaps the only 100% veg place in town. It opens early, and is often quite busy. There are a number of vegan options, but not many things on the menu can be veganized for breakfast (as they claim). However, there are enough choices there already. I recommend the vegan waffles and any of their soups.

Note: for breakfast, make sure to ask for Earth Balance if you are vegan, as they serve butter with everything.

Pros: Vegan Options
Cons: Busy, Hard to get help

Dear Owner and Manager of Macy's European Coffeehouse: