Named after the owner's displayed collection of cat statues, this cozy restaurant and bar near Racoczi Ter opened in April 2010. Vegetarian, but is not fully vegan (though vegan options are offered daily). Offers a changing daily menu, written in chalk on the beams of the funky DIY loft. Uses local and seasonable ingredients. Also offer organic Hungarian wines, juices, homemade syrups, and a wide range of Pálinkas. Art on exhibition which changes monthly. English-speaking staff, and a mostly young, local crowd keeps the place warm in winter. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Hungarian, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by Miss.Muesli
Woogleboo
Woogleboo

Funky bar with great food!

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

One of the coolest places I visited in Budapest.
The stew that I had was very tasty and the portion was huge!

pizzadave
pizzadave

Very Cool

3 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

Macska is a very cool bar that is also a vegatirian restaurant. The staff are very helpful the prices are very good the music is also great. They also have great selection of beers carrying brew dog beers the first place in eastern Europe I have found them. Macska is open and worth a visit

Pros: Good Food, Great Beer, Cool
Cons: None That I Can See Today
zorgster
zorgster

Cosy bar with good food options

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

We visited on a Thursday evening it was not too busy. The staff were very friendly, spoke english and could explain the menu. A dj mixed a few tunes from the upper level. We were offered a selection of different beers etc. Food options were kept small .. soup starter (vegan crown squash soup with mint and dill) and several mains. I had the vegan and Hungarian dish Lecso (pr. lecho). This is a soup-like dish made from tomatoes, peppers onions - later I thought the option lacked protein .but was still tasty.) My partner (non vegan) had quesadillo) .. menu had a couple more options (a vegan pita option) .. note: this is a bar with food.. not a restaurant with a bar...

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly Staff, Inexpensive

earthville
earthville

Great place to chill, good character, limited menu

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

Macska is a good find. It's primarily a bar/lounge vibe, with interesting, funky decor and cool loft seating. A great place to hang out, drink, talk, write, etc.

In terms of food and drink, the main event here is alcohol, and since i don't drink, that left little for me. They have some juices, but not fresh. The food menu is quite small (only 6 items on my visit) so there's limited selection, but fortunately the penne and roasted veggie salad i had was well prepared and very tasty.

I arrived around 8:30pm and the place was completely empty. It seems the scene doesn't really get revved up until later.

Pros: Tasty food, Nice environment to hang out
Cons: Limited menu, No fresh juices
christinaa
christinaa

Relaxed place to eat and hang out it

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

Lovely little bar that made my last night in Budapest really great. Not many dishes on the menu, and apparently this changes often, but still quality food and generous with the portion sizes. Bar staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about beers and palinka. Upstairs has a cosy atmosphere with large cushions and even a corner hammock! I would definitely recommend going here if you want somewhere to hang out in, as well as some tasty food. Our meal (1 starter, 3 main dishes), 4 beers, and a palinka cocktail only came to 9,100 Forint, which was also extremely good value.

Pros: Quality food, Friendly staff, Good value
lisa700
lisa700

Top veg* place in Budapest

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2012

Macska was our favourite place in Budapest. Tasty food (about half of the changing menu is vegan), awesome atmosphere, friendly staff. We had Quesedillas and Burritos (vegetarian), a pita plate and letcho (vegan), as well as cream soups and cake (all vegan and super tasty!) And good palinka :) We'll definitely come back if we're in town again.
The cafe is now non-smoking and only open on weekdays.

Pros: atmosphere , tasty food , many vegan options
Cons: closed on weekends, no more cons
vegancharlie
vegancharlie

cosy, warm & delicious!

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2012

my man & i stayed at the rastel hostel in budapest & one of the lovely helpful humans that worked there part-own this little gem! so we went to check it out and we had such a nice chilled night.
the staff were really friendly, spoke english & were helpful in letting us know what was vegan & what wasnt.
we had the broccoli soup which was awesome! and the pumpkin which was nice too, but i had food envy because the broccoli one was the winner!
i had the stuffed capsicums with barley, vegies & a tomato sauce. it was really tasty, healthy & a good size.
my man had the quesadilla and enjoyed it but said there was too much cheese.

we had some beers & organic juices & sat upstairs on the cushions & drew on the walls & made jewellery. upstairs is a must! go up there after your meal &
chill out to the relaxing tunes, get creative & feel content!

mluria
mluria

Lovely restaurant in a neighborhood bar

3 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

We enjoyed a nice evening here with a friend we met on a walking tour of the Jewish Quarter. The restaurant is actually really a neighborhood bar with a vegetarian kitchen.

The prices for entrees were very reasonable, less than 1000 forints, and the portions were fine. I believe they change them nightly. The food was not amazing, but the place had a nice ambience, and provided a nice break after walking around the city all day.

Pros: Good food
vegchili
vegchili

Very Good

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

The restaurant is not completely vegan, but does have a number of vegan options. Very friendly staff.

Pros: friendly staff, good beers
Suzin
Suzin

LOVE

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

Really loved this place. Real, honest vegetarian restaurant in budapest that doesn't serve fried cheese and call it done. We had a lovely filling soup, hummus plate and the platter with an assortment of eggplant squash tomato vege rattatoie and more. Unfortunately like most of Budapest it is difficult to escape all of the smoke, but it was worth it. The hostess spoke English and explained every dish

Pros: Real vegetarian , Atmosphere, Service
Zaz
Zaz

Possibly no longer serving food?

2 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

This place is a little difficult to find so look for the white sign with the black cat. Unfortunately the day we went we were told there was no kitchen that day, so it's probably best to ring ahead rather than waste precious exploring time!

Miss.Muesli
Miss.Muesli

diappointing from culinary point of view

2 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2011

I popped in here and were disapponted to find a smoke filled bar. The menu was very short and had only one vegan option, so I didn't stay. This my second attempt to visit this place. The reason the first time I didn't go there was that I phoned at 11 am and they still didn't know what they would cook for lunch.

Pros: Good location
Cons: smokey, little choice of food, no website, no published menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Macska: